2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyersMagic57*

I'm hoping for Juolevi at this point so we can have a future first D pairing of Risto-Juo

Unless we win the lottery!!

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If we don't win the lottery, the prospect we get will be a few years away from contributing. All things being equal, I'd swing for the fences with a high upside prospect (assuming the top 2 LHD are gone), and grab a guy like McLeod or Gauthier, who both could be impact players if they hit their ceilings.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is the chychrun drop because of his Hockey iq? Or something outside hockey? He checks every other box in the elite sense.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Is the chychrun drop because of his Hockey iq? Or something outside hockey? He checks every other box in the elite sense.

I don't think there is a legitimate reason for the drop. His hockey sense is a strength if anything. He reads the play well in both zones. Sometimes his gap control is off. i don't really look at that as hockey sense though.

I think there's this narrative that he somehow covers up a lesser Hockey IQ because of his elite physically traits, and that this will get exposed at the next level (a la Bogosian). But i just don't see it. He's very calm under pressure and makes excellent decisions with the puck.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I think that the "drop" is a combo thing:

1.) Other prospects (semi-)legitimately rising above him

2.) The perceived general reticence to take defensemen early in the draft, even though 1 or 2 always go top 10

3.) Scouts nitpicking his performance

If we can orchestrate a trade into 4 or 5 to take Chychrun....it would be a coup

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Saw Juolevi probably 5 times after the WJC and Chychrun 3 times. Chychrun was much more impressive. Playing for Sarnia doesn't do you many favors in terms of development. It's where prospects go to stagnate.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
For some perspective, here are the top (career) scoring forwards picked between the 5th and 10th picks since 2000:

http://hkref.com/tiny/VpCVG

I wish I could sort by points/game, but unfortunately the table isn't sortable that way. But take a look at those names--getting a guy who will put up 50 points, and maybe in a really good year peak at 60-70...that seems more than reasonable for picking around 8th.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For some perspective, here are the top (career) scoring forwards picked between the 5th and 10th picks since 2000:

http://hkref.com/tiny/VpCVG

I wish I could sort by points/game, but unfortunately the table isn't sortable that way. But take a look at those names--getting a guy who will put up 50 points, and maybe in a really good year peak at 60-70...that seems more than reasonable for picking around 8th.

You can export the data and open it in Excel and do the calculations.

Taking out Zacha and his 2 pts in 1 GP, you have 13 guys with 0.6 pts/gp and up:

Vanek
Kessel
Couture
Koivu
Wheeler
Voracek
Okposo
Monahan
Scheifele
Skinner
Brassard
Kadri
Bouchard

Lupul, Michalek, [Nylander], Hartnell, Gagner, Kostitsyn, and Granlund are in that 0.55 to 0.5999 range.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You can export the data and open it in Excel and do the calculations.

Taking out Zacha and his 2 pts in 1 GP, you have 13 guys with 0.6 pts/gp and up:

Vanek
Kessel
Couture
Koivu
Wheeler
Voracek
Okposo
Monahan
Scheifele
Skinner
Brassard
Kadri
Bouchard

Lupul, Michalek, [Nylander], Hartnell, Gagner, Kostitsyn, and Granlund are in that 0.55 to 0.5999 range.

It's worth noting that almost all of these guys were picked in the 5-7 range, whereas we're most likely picking #8 or #9. I think there's almost a 70% chance that we're picking in one of those two spots. I guess this is splitting hairs but the list would be much less impressive if the range was #7-#10.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
6 week ago I hated the thought of Mike McLeod, but I loved his game on sportsnet in the playoffs.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Saw Juolevi probably 5 times after the WJC and Chychrun 3 times. Chychrun was much more impressive. Playing for Sarnia doesn't do you many favors in terms of development. It's where prospects go to stagnate.

Chychrun has always been more impressive when i've watched.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's worth noting that almost all of these guys were picked in the 5-7 range, whereas we're most likely picking #8 or #9. I think there's almost a 70% chance that we're picking in one of those two spots. I guess this is splitting hairs but the list would be much less impressive if the range was #7-#10.

But, this is also just looking at forwards and many expect the Sabres to target a LHD in the draft...

Here is a query you might find interesting:

http://hkref.com/tiny/kRizX

D drafted between 8 & 11 overall since 2001 that have played at least 100 NHL games.

Guys like Phaneuf, Hamilton, Ellis, Trouba, Ristolainen, and Brodin are in the list.

If you widen the pick range to 7-14 and drop games played to 82, you pick up some more really good D:

http://hkref.com/tiny/VsylZ

Suter, Seabrook, Shattenkirk, Myers, Fowler, McDonagh, and others start showing up.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Yeah, picking the right range was the tough part. I was worried about sample size if I limited it too much. There's also always the issue of relative draft strength--a player who went 5th in one draft might go 9th in this one, while one that went 10th in another draft might have gone 4th in this one, which complicates any comparison.

In the end though, I think the general point is pretty much the same: a good pick at ~#8 will be a 50 point forward with peak years approaching 60-70. A great pick would be anything more than that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Canada-Denmark about to drop the puck at the U18's.

I'm surprised Mathew Strome was at 10. He looks like a future Paul Gaustad.

Some of that has to be pedigree though -- his brothers being who they are and all that. I haven't paid much attention to him yet.

Edit - oh my, this could be very ugly. 2-0 Canada already. Never mind -- 2-2.

7-2 after the power outage. Yes, it's only Denmark.

Edit 3: 8-2 and only McLeod and Chychrun haven't made the Nats scoresheet.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Shea Weber is a beast and he was a second round pick. I say we draft BPA with our first and then pick the most Shea Weber/Duncan Keith like property after.

S. Weber - second round
D. Keith - second round
E. Karlsson - 15th overall.
P. K. Subban - second round
Shayne Gostisbehere - third round

That's three of arguably the top 8 D in the league picked in the second. I think D are almost like goalies where you need to pick a bunch and develop them and see what happens.

I want big gamers with an edge. We need more snarl.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ok I'm just curious, let's pretend the defenceman and big three forwards are off the table. Who would everyone want in this case?

Say between Nylander, Tkachuk and Dubois?

EDIT: I'm expecting nearly everyone to say Dubois so well say between Nylander and Tkachuk.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Ok I'm just curious, let's pretend the defenceman and big three forwards are off the table. Who would everyone want in this case?

BPA, Dubois. And be thrilled he fell that far.

Edit: In that case Tkachuk by a bit.

Last edited:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

EDIT: I'm expecting nearly everyone to say Dubois so well say between Nylander and Tkachuk.

Dubois.

But between the other two, I marginally go with Tkachuk.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Shea Weber is a beast and he was a second round pick. I say we draft BPA with our first and then pick the most Shea Weber/Duncan Keith like property after.

S. Weber - second round
D. Keith - second round
E. Karlsson - 15th overall.
P. K. Subban - second round
Shayne Gostisbehere - third round

That's three of arguably the top 8 D in the league picked in the second. I think D are almost like goalies where you need to pick a bunch and develop them and see what happens.

I want big gamers with an edge. We need more snarl.

I'm quite certain every front office has the plan to find Shea Weber/Duncan Keith in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino