2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
What part is a 'zero'? He's playing against men, getting pro experience, as well as actually getting paid.

Anyway, several articles came out when he made this decision that pointed out that basically, the only reason this was able to happen was because of his birth date, which let him be on the rosters without missing a big chunk of playing time while being of the proper age. So he kind of fit in a tight window of opportunity that doesn't exist for most kids.

That he doesn't want to deal with expectations from Eichel seems like a major reach.

Playing against men and getting paid have nothing to do with his season's expectations.

There are zero expectations of him playing in Europe since there hasn't been another NA prospect to go that route.

There is no point totals to be compared to.
There is no OHL/WHL/NCAA scoring race to win.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Throwing my hat in on Olli Juolevi. Here's hoping he's good enough to be worth picking and bad enough that he doesn't sneak up the board with a light top 10 for defense.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
2016 Draft Propsects

Saw this from McKenzie:

http://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099
a preliminary top 15:

1. C Matthews
2. W Jesse Puljujarvi‎
3. D Jakob Chychrun
4. W Patrik Laine
5. W Matthew Tkachuk
6. W Alex Nylander
7. C Mike McLeod
8. W Pierre Luc Dubois
9. D Kale Clague
10. W Max Jones
11. W Julien Gauthier
12. W Dmitri Sokolov
13. D Olli Juolevi
14. W Tyler Benson
15. D Mikhhail Sergachyov

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Playing against men and getting paid have nothing to do with his season's expectations.

There are zero expectations of him playing in Europe since there hasn't been another NA prospect to go that route.

There is no point totals to be compared to.
There is no OHL/WHL/NCAA scoring race to win.

I think he's expected to do well no matter where he's playing.

I can't imagine how you think being in Europe removes much if any pressure on someone who's expected to be the number 1 pick in next year's draft.

There's more to scouting/performing then just point totals, I'm sure the scouts can figure out how well he's doing.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think he's expected to do well no matter where he's playing.

I can't imagine how you think being in Europe removes much if any pressure on someone who's expected to be the number 1 pick in next year's draft.

There's more to scouting/performing then just point totals, I'm sure the scouts can figure out how well he's doing.

I agree. Sure, the statistical comparisons aren't there to make the way they would've been in the CHL or NCAA, but the notion that being the first NA player to go over to Europe to play pro hockey in a draft season brings less or little pressure is pretty ridiculous. He could have been a dominant player in the CHL or NCAA. Instead he chose to see what he can do in the NLA.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I usually don't like about the idea of picking an offensive winger top-10 not mentioning top-5.

But having watched Patrik Laine now in Liiga for the start of the season I really wouldn't mind using that kind of pick to him (if we somehow end up getting such a pick). He is insanely lethal at the moment. He most likely won't keep up his current pace (4 goals in 4 games), but he has something really special in him as a goalscorer. His wrister is absolutely crushing and he has great size to make space for himself. His skating has also improved dramatically during the summer.

I remember drooling about the idea of Laine with Eichel when watching U18 WJC last spring. That duo would complement each other perfectly offensively.

ROR - Eichel - Laine
Kane - Reinhart - Girgs

:amazed:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I usually don't like about the idea of picking an offensive winger top-10 not mentioning top-5.

But having watched Patrik Laine now in Liiga for the start of the season I really wouldn't mind using that kind of pick to him (if we somehow end up getting such a pick). He is insanely lethal at the moment. He most likely won't keep up his current pace (4 goals in 4 games), but he has something really special in him as a goalscorer. His wrister is absolutely crushing and he has great size to make space for himself. His skating has also improved dramatically during the summer.

I remember drooling about the idea of Laine with Eichel when watching U18 WJC last spring. That duo would complement each other perfectly offensively.

ROR - Eichel - Laine
Kane - Reinhart - Girgs

:amazed:

Laine's gaining back all the stock he lost the last year or so. He had that little controversy where he was sent home from the national team for cussing out the coach on the bench. A leg injury made his skating even worse for a while. If you look at his skating now it's a clearly trending positively. His blend of size and talent is insane while his mullet is beautiful. Can't wait to see him in the NHL. Right now we'd have to get into the top 5 to draft him, perhaps top 3.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Laine's gaining back all the stock he lost the last year or so. He had that little controversy where he was sent home from the national team for cussing out the coach on the bench. A leg injury made his skating even worse for a while. If you look at his skating now it's a clearly trending positively. His blend of size and talent is insane while his mullet is beautiful. Can't wait to see him in the NHL. Right now we'd have to get into the top 5 to draft him, perhaps top 3.

I bet he dips a bit, cuz those head cases issues will haunt him long after they have been dealt with, cuz hockey intelligentsia ...

Separate note, if we got the 2nd overall, Chychrun or Laine?

Both are tasty options.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I bet he dips a bit, cuz those head cases issues will haunt him long after they have been dealt with, cuz hockey intelligentsia ...

Separate note, if we got the 2nd overall, Chychrun or Laine?

Both are tasty options.

It'd be basically impossible, as things stand today, not to take Chychrun. Not only does he give us the top 4 (more like top pair) LHD we need long-term, it doubles the chance a franchise defenseman emerges instead of relying only on Ristolainen. Laine is more of a luxury with the forward group we have, even if we don't have anyone quite like him. I'd take that luxury over most anyone in the draft, but not an elite LHD prospect. Chychrun last season was amazing. We'll have to see what kind of step he takes this year. Will he top Ekblad's draft season the way he topped Ekblad's pre-draft season or will he level off? Either way, he's a stud.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It'd be basically impossible, as things stand today, not to take Chychrun. Not only does he give us the top 4 (more like top pair) LHD we need long-term, it doubles the chance a franchise defenseman emerges instead of relying only on Ristolainen. Laine is more of a luxury with the forward group we have, even if we don't have anyone quite like him. I'd take that luxury over most anyone in the draft, but not an elite LHD prospect. Chychrun last season was amazing. We'll have to see what kind of step he takes this year. Will he top Ekblad's draft season the way he topped Ekblad's pre-draft season or will he level off? Either way, he's a stud.
His shoulder also made of glass. He's going to have to play a near full season without injuries for me to want to take him over trading the pick if I was Buffalo. Shoulder injuries are something that takes forever to get over if you ever get over them at all. Chychrun may be the perfect example of being in too good of shape (for Hockey) and especially at such a young age. Dude was ripped at 13.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
So, my Lady said that she'd like to birthday gift me a trip out to Buffalo for the draft next summer, is there any way for out of towners to procure tickets to the draft?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
So, my Lady said that she'd like to birthday gift me a trip out to Buffalo for the draft next summer, is there any way for out of towners to procure tickets to the draft?
There's usually an interest form that comes out during the year from the host. Probably could find a STH here to ask their rep about it, especially if they're getting priority selection and are not planning to use their seats.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
2016-eligibles that stood out in the prospects game to me:

- Luke Kunin, C (6'0 196): Nifty and shifty, and can snipe. Maybe best player on ice this game.
- Matt Tkachuk, LW (6'1" 194): You can see the hockey sense. Can be a shooter, or distribute.
- Max Jones, LW (6'2 201): big and fast, straight-line sort of player, gets pucks to the net and follows them there.
- JD Greenway, LD (6'4" 205): Great size but very mobile, will take ice on the rush if it's there

Other observations:
- Chad Krys D (5'11" 183) Wasn't as dynamic as I expected
- Charlie McAvoy D (6'0" 205) Didn't match up to the hype either
- William Knierem RW (6'3" 212) Some nifty passes, and that size

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Is there a defenseman worth drafting immediately after Chychrun? Like picks 4-12?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
2016-eligibles that stood out in the prospects game to me:

- Luke Kunin, C (6'0 196): Nifty and shifty, and can snipe. Maybe best player on ice this game.
- Matt Tkachuk, LW (6'1" 194): You can see the hockey sense. Can be a shooter, or distribute.
- Max Jones, LW (6'2 201): big and fast, straight-line sort of player, gets pucks to the net and follows them there.
- JD Greenway, LD (6'4" 205): Great size but very mobile, will take ice on the rush if it's there

Other observations:
- Chad Krys D (5'11" 183) Wasn't as dynamic as I expected
- Charlie McAvoy D (6'0" 205) Didn't match up to the hype either
- William Knierem RW (6'3" 212) Some nifty passes, and that size

His brother was one of the guys I was hoping we could draft this summer so I'll keep my eyes on this kid. :)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Is there a defenseman worth drafting immediately after Chychrun? Like picks 4-12?

There's Sean Day, who really is just an intriguing case. Tons of hype, exceptional player status, but hasn't lived up to it. I could see him going anywhere from type 5 all the way to second round depending on how this year goes for him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
ISS released their top 30 for October:
1. Matthews, Auston RW 9/17/1997 L 6.01.5 194 Zurich ZSC SuiA
2. Chychrun, Jakob LD 3/31/1998 L 6.02 215 Sarnia OHL
3. Jones, Max LW 2/17/1998 L 6.03 205 London OHL
4. Tkachuk, Matthew LW 12/11/1997 L 6.01.25 195 London OHL
5. Puljujarvi, Jesse RW 5/7/1998 R 6.03 198 Karpat FinE
6. Laine, Patrik LW 4/19/1998 R 6.04 209 Tappara FinE
7. Gauthier, Julien RW 10/15/1997 R 6.03.5 225 Val-d'Or QMJHL
8. Fabbro, Dante RD 6/20/1998 R 6.00.25 189 Penticton BCHL
9. McLeod, Michael C 2/3/1998 R 6.02.25 188 Mississauga OHL
10. Brown, Logan C 3/5/1998 L 6.06 222 Windsor OHL

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Based of where I think we will pick (5-10 range) my main target would definitely be Olli Juolevi. Reminds me (and I've seen this comparison by others often too) a lot like an other Olli from London: Maatta. I could see him and Risto being an amazing top-pair together some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad