2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
And why is Matthews playing in the Swiss league?

CDtMzWzUkAAiXYS.jpg

Honestly my theory is he wants to avoid comparisons to Eichel.

He had more points than Eichel did for USNTDP. So what would happen if he went to college and didn't win the scoring title and hobey baker? BUST!

I think he is taking the "safe" route for draft stock. Getting paid to be in Europe and get coached by a former NHLer don't hurt either.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Keep an eye out for Olli Juolevi. LD from the Knights.

Reminds me of another Olli coming out of London. The guy was great yesterday against Erie.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So Matthews is the better Eichel?
There are things I like more about his game like his ability to play with a normal length stick. :laugh: Don't want to get into too much innuendo talk but I think Eichel will eventually benefit more at the NHL level if he cuts down the length of his stick some. It's a hindrance in his ability to finish off plays from in tight.

Matthews and Eichel are both very similar in ways and also complete opposites in other aspects. They're both big bodied Americans with great skating ability with a high IQ playmaking first mindset that aren't afraid to shoot as well. Matthews is more controlled and likes to slow the play down whereas Eichel likes to have the puck constantly in motion. Eiochel is great at puck retention and keeping the play going along the boards whereas Matthews is great at keeping the puck in possession by holding on to it and slowing the game down.

I've seen some Sabres posters say that if we were lucky enough to win the lottery this season we should trade down and take a defensemen and I think that's insane. You take Matthews 10 times out of 10 and find someone else (not Eichel) to trade. Even if Chychrun didn't have a glass shoulder I would feel that way. It's a shame that Puljujarvi forgot how to finish because this could have been an interesting draft for first overall but with Matthews' strides in the past 12 months and his positional strength there is no way he doesn't go #1. The rest of the top 10 could be the most wide open in years though.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
there's plenty of reasons to trade out of the top pick this year, but getting enough value to justify those reasons against options that keep the pick will be very hard

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Matthews was only a couple days away from being drafted last year. Man, Arizona was so close to the Arizona kid with superstar potential sitting there for them at 3.

McDavid, Eichel, Matthews would have challenged for best top 3 in draft history.

It's just great that so much top talent is entering the game. I agree with the other poster, if the Sabres miss the playoffs and somehow won the lottery, you take Matthews without thinking. Never pass up on the superstar to get lesser pieces. Use the other pieces to trade for a dman if one is necessary down the line.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Matthews was only a couple days away from being drafted last year. Man, Arizona was so close to the Arizona kid with superstar potential sitting there for them at 3.

McDavid, Eichel, Matthews would have challenged for best top 3 in draft history.

It's just great that so much top talent is entering the game. I agree with the other poster, if the Sabres miss the playoffs and somehow won the lottery, you take Matthews without thinking. Never pass up on the superstar to get lesser pieces. Use the other pieces to trade for a dman if one is necessary down the line.

Hmmm...IDK that would be one scenario I would consider a trade. OEL+ from Arizona would be a lock. Just a matter of what the + is, but a phone call would be in order.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hmmm...IDK that would be one scenario I would consider a trade. OEL+ from Arizona would be a lock. Just a matter of what the + is, but a phone call would be in order.

+?? If we win the lottery, and Arizona offers OEL for that pick, I take it and run. We'd immediately and in the future become a MUCH better team for making that trade. Matthews is a great prospect and all, but OEL would do so, so much more for the Sabres.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
CDtMzWzUkAAiXYS.jpg

Honestly my theory is he wants to avoid comparisons to Eichel.

He had more points than Eichel did for USNTDP. So what would happen if he went to college and didn't win the scoring title and hobey baker? BUST!

I think he is taking the "safe" route for draft stock. Getting paid to be in Europe and get coached by a former NHLer don't hurt either.

I doubt he would make life changes like he did just because he didn't want to be compared to one of his friends. He probably wanted some pro experience (instead of Everett in the WHL) and make some money. That seems a lot more rational and logical.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
+?? If we win the lottery, and Arizona offers OEL for that pick, I take it and run. We'd immediately and in the future become a MUCH better team for making that trade. Matthews is a great prospect and all, but OEL would do so, so much more for the Sabres.

I agree about OEL, but fair value may include a + based on team control years and position being in Matthews favor. I personally would not hold out for more, but I acknowledge that others might be right to do so.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I agree about OEL, but fair value may include a + based on team control years and position being in Matthews favor. I personally would not hold out for more, but I acknowledge that others might be right to do so.

Funny, that is the one scenario I would consider it but a lot of things come into play.

First and foremost would be in this scenario the Sabres would be giving up the right to draft a superstar 1st overall in front of their own fans. That would require the + to be significant. Also, where would the Coyotes be finishing. OEL+ 3rd overall would be something to consider. OEL + 8th doesn't do it.

OEL + 4th OA + Domi would set them up nicely. All fun things to think about.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Funny, that is the one scenario I would consider it but a lot of things come into play.

First and foremost would be in this scenario the Sabres would be giving up the right to draft a superstar 1st overall in front of their own fans. That would require the + to be significant. Also, where would the Coyotes be finishing. OEL+ 3rd overall would be something to consider. OEL + 8th doesn't do it.

OEL + 4th OA + Domi would set them up nicely. All fun things to think about.

If by first and foremost you mean barely considered, I agree. Everything else I'm fine with.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

If the Sabres announced Austin Mathews was available and OEL was the best offer, I'd be surised, and then I'd tell marketing to start printing the Mathews jerseys. Also disagree that OEL over Mathews makes a better team in the long run.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This OEL scenario has been brought up a few times and it needs to stop. Arizona may not have the star power of Matthews but their forward prospect pool is stacked and if anything they need defensemen other than OEL. It's not a trade Arizona could even begin to consider unless they made other moves. Imagine if Buffalo traded Bogosian and Ristolainen this off season for some forward prospects. It would be similar to that.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
This OEL scenario has been brought up a few times and it needs to stop. Arizona may not have the star power of Matthews but their forward prospect pool is stacked and if anything they need defensemen other than OEL. It's not a trade Arizona could even begin to consider unless they made other moves. Imagine if Buffalo traded Bogosian and Ristolainen this off season for some forward prospects. It would be similar to that.

why would we imagine something that is nothing like the scenario being discussed?

its much closer to buffalo drafting third and getting Strome, then dealing Risto+ to get a guaranteed #1 center, something thats certainly controversial but not so unlikely as to warrant to end to all conversations

Last edited:

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
I doubt he would make life changes like he did just because he didn't want to be compared to one of his friends. He probably wanted some pro experience (instead of Everett in the WHL) and make some money. That seems a lot more rational and logical.

Could be. I just think the expectations of playing NCAA hockey were going to be way too high after what Eichel set.

Playing in Europe there is absolutely zero. It's a cool thing - he gets to just have fun and not have any pressure leading up to the draft.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Was at Halifax/Saint John this evening.

A few thoughts on notable draft elligibles:

Halifax:
Max Fortier - had a hattrick. tremendous speed on the rush. good zone awareness. based on what I've seen, could get a second round look.

Will update others later.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I'm surprised more top NA kids don't play in Europe. You get paid and you don't have to worry about school.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Could be. I just think the expectations of playing NCAA hockey were going to be way too high after what Eichel set.

Playing in Europe there is absolutely zero. It's a cool thing - he gets to just have fun and not have any pressure leading up to the draft.

What part is a 'zero'? He's playing against men, getting pro experience, as well as actually getting paid.

Anyway, several articles came out when he made this decision that pointed out that basically, the only reason this was able to happen was because of his birth date, which let him be on the rosters without missing a big chunk of playing time while being of the proper age. So he kind of fit in a tight window of opportunity that doesn't exist for most kids.

That he doesn't want to deal with expectations from Eichel seems like a major reach.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com

There is one significant difference in that Arizona's rebuilding path will not include an O'Reilly, Kane, Bogosian, Lehner. They are a year behind us on that path and will need another year of tanking (hopefully, better tanking for their sake). The Matthews pick in 2016 followed by a dman in '17 makes an awful lot of sense if the opportunity presents itself and the hockey gods have any mercy for those poor souls.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
There is one significant difference in that Arizona's rebuilding path will not include an O'Reilly, Kane, Bogosian, Lehner. They are a year behind us on that path and will need another year of tanking (hopefully, better tanking for their sake). The Matthews pick in 2016 followed by a dman in '17 makes an awful lot of sense if the opportunity presents itself and the hockey gods have any mercy for those poor souls.

after missing out on both McDavid and Eichel, and desperate for a player that will sell tickets, either in Ari or LV, if they miss out on Mathews and someone offers them their winning lotto ticket, they'll at least be listening to the entire phone call; you may not be able to convince them that OEL+1st+Domi is the right move, but OEL + top 10 pick is something I'm at listening to but if Carolina is interested in a #1 center and is offering Hannafin/Faulk + a top 5 pick, really if anyone offers up a top pairing + top 10 pick I'd at least listen to the discussion

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
What part is a 'zero'? He's playing against men, getting pro experience, as well as actually getting paid.

Anyway, several articles came out when he made this decision that pointed out that basically, the only reason this was able to happen was because of his birth date, which let him be on the rosters without missing a big chunk of playing time while being of the proper age. So he kind of fit in a tight window of opportunity that doesn't exist for most kids.

That he doesn't want to deal with expectations from Eichel seems like a major reach.

ya if hes not a top player in the Euro leagues itll hurt his standing, the best thing he has going for him is Puljujarvi's disappointing end to last season means there will be little competition for the top draft spot

if anything this advances his development a year that Eichel and McDavid didnt have access to

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm surprised more top NA kids don't play in Europe. You get paid and you don't have to worry about school.

Matthews was a unique case. Most NA players would not be able to do what he did.

1) He turned 18 in September. Which is needed for a work visa. He actually missed the first two weeks of the season as a result. Players with later birthdays would have trouble getting a team to wait longer for the player to be eligible.

2) He has no CHL contract. Having a contractual obligation would make it very difficult to leave for Europe.

3) He's very, very good. Many if not most leagues have import quotas, and you'd have to convince a team that you could contribute at the pro level better than a vet with considerable experience.

There aren't many players who fit all three criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad