Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Meh, that's only sometimes. Plenty of big men can move quick and if I'm specifically looking at his legs and they're taking two choppy steps and then coasting, that's not a good example of someone being a good skater. Blake Wheeler, Laine, Boyle, Bjugstad...they're all big men who demonstrate better skating on a regular basis than those Koivula highlights showed. I haven't seem him a ton so I won't call him a poor skater, but those highlights don't do it for me. As 13th points out, him pulling up and creating more space (against defenders with bad gap control) was probably the best part and it was the fact that he stopped skating that made it good. We'll get a better look this coming camp I'm sure.
Where did I say big men can’t move quickly? My point was they move fast cover ice but appear slow based on fewer strides it’s a bit of an optical illusion. We will see come camp. Love this board

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Where did I say big men can’t move quickly? My point was they move fast cover ice but appear slow based on fewer strides it’s a bit of an optical illusion. We will see come camp. Love this board

You didn't. I understood exactly what you said. I disagree. Compare his stride in those videos to the guys I mentioned, Koivula is taking smaller and less frequent strides. There isn't an optical illusion when I'm doing a direct comparison to other people who are similar in size.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Maybe that’s because he was converted to center last November and flourished in that role.

I saw Koivula in Bridgeport several times last season and twice in the playoffs. I saw a guy who skated ok, has a good wrister, good on faceoffs, and had chemistry with Wahlstrom and Bellows. Right now I think Koivula projects well as a 3rd center.

If Otto Koivula has a good camp I expect him to be the Isles first callup to replace a center.
No chance. First option is to convince Gionta to come out of retirement. Come on man! You’re losing it.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just want to post this here from another thread. So it doesn't get lost. Otto could a valuable player for the Isles this year.

I don't mind him up on the big team. The beauty of him is he can play wing as well as Center. Having him make the team would be huge. If the Isles have an injury down the middle, he will at least have NHL exposure, and this may lessen him being overwhelmed. To me, he is a very important piece to the organization. One thing I really like about Finnish players, they are taught at an early age to be technically sound players in all areas of the ice.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's optimism yes, but earned optimism. I watched Otto / MDC play great hockey last season in the A. Otto showing great promise his first year playing center and in North America.

MDC, showing HUGE improvement after 2 sub par season in the A. This past season his development took a huge leap forward and his skating / pace is on another level now.

If MDC was drafted in the 6th round in 2014 everyone would view his position differently. "Oh he had a great year in the A last season, put up huge PPG numbers in 34 AHL games, AHL all star, forced his way into the isles roster, 3 GWG, defensively responsible, young only 23."

Instead many choose to focus on his draft status. "Yea but he was drafted 5th overall, he hasn't done what we all expected"

It's all a matter of how you choose to look at it. I know what I saw last season from both. I don't pay attention to draft status.
MDC regardless of draft position hasn't accomplished anything and looks like a third line winger at best. If he was drafted in round 6 all we would say is OK Or meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad