2016 Draft: 9th Pick: Vincent Desharnais

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think the plan, as long as Chiarelli is GM, is to take an overager in the 7th round. Then quickly determine the next season if he's worth investing in.

It sounds like Desharnais was entrusted to do more as the season went on.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It sounds like Desharnais was entrusted to do more as the season went on.

That's fine, he might turn into a fine player, it's just what I suspect we'll see from the organization. Last year they took an overager he had a great season, clearly worth investing in.

I think it just saves you from possibly jumping the gun on signing a 7th round pick because he had success in his 19 yr old season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That's fine, he might turn into a fine player, it's just what I suspect we'll see from the organization. Last year they took an overager he had a great season, clearly worth investing in.

I think it just saves you from possibly jumping the gun on signing a 7th round pick because he had success in his 19 yr old season.

For sure.

I think a lot of people were flabbergasted by the pick but once you get to the 7th round, might as well take a chance.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thanks Mozes, footwork/skating is "interesting". Though, he seems to get his shot through well, has good body positioning at times and uses his size well. He also seems to play with confidence in his game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Instead of giving Chia any credit, it would be interesting to know what scout/scouts was working on these players.
The scouts he had around him were responsible for quite a few depth, especially defenseman, being drafted. Credit to them.

They drafted.

Caleb Jones - 4th round - 2015
Ethan Bear - 5th round - 2015
John Marino - 6th round - 2015
Markus Niemelainen - 3rd round - 2016
Desharnais as we know
Stuart Skinner - 3rd round - 2017
Dmitri Samorukov - 3rd round - 2017
Philip Kemp - 7th round - 2017 (he's sticking around)
Michael Kesselring - 6th round - 2018 (he's having a strong year

I did 3rd round and later, that's pretty good.

Edit: Getting that many NHL defenseman (even if they're with different teams) in one draft is impressive, 2015 was quite the coup for the scouts.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
tumblr_myi541CAXQ1r7k95zo1_400.gif

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Holy cow I didn’t know Chia drafted him and Nemo
Chia did not draft all that bad. J-Poo is forgettable, but he also got Niemelainen, Desharnais (both in 2016), Yamamoto, Skinner (both 2017), Bouchard and Mcleod (2018). Thta's pretty good as far as late picks are concerned. Holland has yet to produce such results at the draft table.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chia did not draft all that bad. J-Poo is forgettable, but he also got Niemelainen, Desharnais (both in 2016), Yamamoto, Skinner (both 2017), Bouchard and Mcleod (2018). Thta's pretty good as far as late picks are concerned. Holland has yet to produce such results at the draft table.
Holland's players are younger, and I would say tullio, Savoie, Petrov, Wanner, etc are all trending well.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Yup, you're not likely to see many early returns on late round rafted players, so I wouldn't expect much impact from any of them as yet. For example Desharnais is 26 or something already, no?
He has been an absolute joy to have on our backend. Steady, smart, simple and plays with some edge. Exactly what we need.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
“Bad start, we’re not ready, we don’t have any excuses, we just were not ready,” Desharnais told Oilers TV. “They were ready, they were in our faces, they blocked shots and we didn’t. They just played better. It’s a 12:30 start and we didn’t start at 12:30.

“It’s a great feeling (playing in Montreal) I have a lot of friends and family here, but I came here for two points.”

Man, the guy even says all the right things post game. Unlike some others on the team/coaching staff I won't mention who routinely try to sugarcoat their subpar performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad