2016 Draft: 1st Pick: Jesse Puljujarvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
I think Dubois is a very good prospect, and arguably better than JP.

Having that said, absolutely thrilled to have JP. Fills a team need and balance, is a right handed shot.

Just glad we didn't get Tkachuk who has been the passenger in London, has foot speed issues, and will likely top out as a 2nd line LW (whom we don't need)

Reactions: Canucks LB

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Wonder if this is the final nail in the coffin for Yakupov if there was any doubt before.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I say pass on Lucic now. We're not so small upfront anymore ... Puljujarvi (6'4), Maroon (6'3), and Kassian (6'3) give all three lines a huge winger.

Keep that cap space, it's more valuable than water in a desert. We need to at minimum get some veteran help on the D in terms of short term fillers if we can't land a big fish D, but otherwise we are set up front.

Maroon and Kassian are 3rd liners.

Sign Lucic, trade RNH and Pouliot for defensemen, and sign a 3rd line center to play inbetween Maroon/Kass. Depending on the quality of the incoming D, it could be a very strong top 9 that could get the team into the playoffs.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
I believe he is AHL eligible, which is awesome if he isn't ready for the NHL yet, much better than having to send a kid back to Junior.

Yeah, he is AHL eligible but I think another year in Finland would be great for him to if he doesn't get in the opening roster. He would need a Finn in to help him out but I believe one of his parent would be ready to move to help him with his transport.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
He's so big and can skate, I think he's going to start here.

He's gonna have to take English classes all summer though.

Don't think he will. He said couple of days ago he has taken english lessons starting this year but is focusing training hockey skills on a summer

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maroon and Kassian are 3rd liners.

Sign Lucic, trade RNH and Pouliot for defensemen, and sign a 3rd line center to play inbetween Maroon/Kass. Depending on the quality of the incoming D, it could be a very strong top 9 that could get the team into the playoffs.

Look at Pittsburgh, Crosby and Sid play with no-name wingers and Kessell was also on a line with guys like Rust.

We actually have a better version of this (arguably) now even without Lucic.

You just need pairs ... McDavid-Puljujarvi, Hall-Draisaitl, RNH-Eberle .... man you can slap anyone on that other side.

What an embarrassment of riches upfront, now if we could just upgrade the D even a bit.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think losing the lotto made this more sweeter and made me appreciate it more. If we were just given 2nd or 3rd overall I would hjave been like "meh, another forward" But after months of saying "PLD is good but no Puljujarvi" and now getting him... great things

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan Rishaug Verified account
‏@TSNRyanRishaug

Sounds like the Oilers were going to take a Dman at 4 before the suprise happened at 3

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
That moment when you re-watch Pulju getting drafted and notice Katz's kid is the same height as the giant Puljujarvi... How did little Daryl Katz produce such a big kid :laugh:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Look at Pittsburgh, Crosby and Sid play with no-name wingers and Kessell was also on a line with guys like Rust.

We actually have a better version of this (arguably) now even without Lucic.

You just need pairs ... McDavid-Puljujarvi, Hall-Draisaitl, RNH-Eberle .... man you can slap anyone on that other side.

What an embarrassment of riches upfront, now if we could just upgrade the D even a bit.

Pittsburgh's success is irrelevant to the Oilers, or anyone in the NHL really. There will be a new blueprint next year for Stanley cup success.

Someone is going for a defenseman, because a 3 line scoring team with a defense that can barely make a 10 foot pass is a waste of time and money.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Happy for JP, at least we got a sure thing. We better win games 4-3 next season like the good ole days... Defence is still a mess and now we have to go another season with annoying trade proposals...

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I was not expecting this but it is a good surprise. I was sure he'd be taken 3rd but that he dropped to 4th for us is awesome. I can't wait to see him play with Oilers and what line he'll be on. Next season can't come fast enough.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I think losing the lotto made this more sweeter and made me appreciate it more. If we were just given 2nd or 3rd overall I would hjave been like "meh, another forward" But after months of saying "PLD is good but no Puljujarvi" and now getting him... great things

Yeah its pretty ****ed up how much talent and potential you have up front.
David to Pulju, he scores...
I'm a pessimist however

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pittsburgh's success is irrelevant to the Oilers, or anyone in the NHL really. There will be a new blueprint next year for Stanley cup success.

Someone is going for a defenseman, because a 3 line scoring team with a defense that can barely make a 10 foot pass is a waste of time and money.

If they can even upgrade on D just a bit and keep Klefbom healthy .... that could be quite interesting.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
We got the consensus #3, that means we only dropped 1 in the Lottery, Yay! Win for the Oil!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I say pass on Lucic now. We're not so small upfront anymore ... Puljujarvi (6'4), Maroon (6'3), and Kassian (6'3) give all three lines a huge winger and we got a big center now too in Draisaitl (6'2).

Keep that cap space, it's more valuable than water in a desert. We need to at minimum get some veteran help on the D in terms of short term fillers if we can't land a big fish D, but otherwise we are set up front.

Maroon and Kassian aren't full time top 6 players, I don't see Maroon keeping up the pace. Lucic would fit the McDavid-Pulju duo like a glove. This turn of events further strengthens the possibility that Lucic signs with the Oilers IMO.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
We got the consensus #3, that means we only dropped 1 in the Lottery, Yay! Win for the Oil!

Agreed. Instead of Laine , we got Pulijujarvi and even then there were arguments who was the better player overall. :handclap:

Would still love to make a trade to get Jake Bean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad