2016 Draft: 1st Pick: Jesse Puljujarvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How sure you are for that Pulju will play with McDavid in upcoming season.
I think Jesse isn't 100 percent shape when NHL's regular season starts in October.

And there's no need to rush him and bring him NHL immediately.
If / when Jesse isn't NHL ready let him play in AHL or one more season in Oulun Karpat.
Karpat hasn't get much new players so there's might be big role in 1st line waiting for Puljujärvi if Oilers let him play in FEL.

If Pulju needs another year in Liiga, AHL time, or 3rd line time with Drai it all works.

Pulju has no pressure . He'll play with McDavid when he's ready.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
I also want to point out, that nowadays Jesse does go to dirty areas too. Not often, but if needed to be, then yes. Many of his goals, especially after wjc, have come from net front. There is only so little you can see from the highlights. I remember seeing atleast three or four games, where Jesse was in front of the net, doing his business. As said earlier, he has just resently got more courage to wrestle with adult players, and it did show the more season progressed.

And ijuka asked whose the trainer Jesse and co train with. Janne Hänninen, ex speed skater. I also think that Jesse has own personal trainer from Fit4You (Samppa Jaakola, checked it from here: http://www.trainer4you.fi/blogi/jaakiekon-junioritahti-jesse-puljujarvi-fysiikkavalmentajan-silmin/ ) and his agent Sami Mettovaara takes care him also. I believe that Jesse will be in 100% shape when he arrives to the training camp. If I remember correctly, Jesse starts his training with Hänninen today. So, no many days off I see.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ahaa that one, alright. I believe I had even heard of that before but I guess I forgot.

I wonder how much training he'll be able to get done. He should be able to skate in August so that definitely is good, at least.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
Ahaa that one, alright. I believe I had even heard of that before but I guess I forgot.

I wonder how much training he'll be able to get done. He should be able to skate in August so that definitely is good, at least.

They did ask this in Oilers tv. He said that he trains everything, so apparently not upper body only. He has cycled, went jogging and has visited gym. It has now been over two months since his operation, so I do believe that skating is only thing that is out of bounds right now. And given the operation he underwent I like to believe, that it is only precaution that he isn't back on the skates yet. This is important off season to him, so maybe they wait that he can start skating full speed from day one. He did say in draft week, that he didn't hit much in baseball because of his knee (rotation to the knee), but seemed to be okey playing golf last week. So, better and better and not so much hindrances anymore?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
If anyone's interested, Stauffer on Oilers Now just said that he "wouldn't be surprised" if we see Puljujarvi sign his entry level contract sometime within the next 2 weeks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If anyone's interested, Stauffer on Oilers Now just said that he "wouldn't be surprised" if we see Puljujarvi sign his entry level contract sometime within the next 2 weeks.

I'm interested in the bonus structure. Might actually have cap implications during his ELC as crazy as it sounds.

From this draft:
Dubois can earn up to 3.425 with bonuses
Laine 3.575

Past 4th overall picks:
Marner is only 1.744
Bennett 3.225
Jones 3.225
Reinhart 3.213

Interesting the Leafs got such a bargain on Marner's bonus structure. Although I guess Lou has never been a fan of giving out ELC performance bonuses. Didn't he refuse with Larsson while in New Jersey?

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How sure you are for that Pulju will play with McDavid in upcoming season.
I think Jesse isn't 100 percent shape when NHL's regular season starts in October.

And there's no need to rush him and bring him NHL immediately.
If / when Jesse isn't NHL ready let him play in AHL or one more season in Oulun Karpat.
Karpat hasn't get much new players so there's might be big role in 1st line waiting for Puljujärvi if Oilers let him play in FEL.

I think coming to NA is best for his development whether it be NHL or AHL to get him used to the play style and rink size. If he spends time in the AHL I doubt it will be the entire season. I don't know if he'll see much if any time with McDavid unless he proves he's ready for that role next year. The good thing is he can be sheltered a lot in Edmonton and still get a skilled centre to play with and he should get some PP time as well. I think Edmonton was actually the most ideal team for him to go to for him to break into the league because there are a few guys that can be ahead of him on the depth chart and 3 good centres on the team, but he still has the chance to grow and move up the line-up if he proves himself.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
I think a lot of the doubters don't realize how special this guy is.. I have watched him closely since that WJC at 16. After watching him there is said to myself, i said self 'i hope this kid is an oiler one day'... He is the real deal. Hockey sense out the wazoo, hands, speed.. hits, RH shot with a big frame. And he is a shoot first player that can pass.. he has the nose for the net. This guy falling to the Oilers at 4 is beyond a blessing.. he is the perfect player for the 'new look' Oilers. This guy could end up at 6'4" 230, and has a james neal release. watching him in traffic at his size makes me smile, I really think i would have picked him over laine.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think a lot of the doubters don't realize how special this guy is.. I have watched him closely since that WJC at 16. After watching him there is said to myself, i said self 'i hope this kid is an oiler one day'... He is the real deal. Hockey sense out the wazoo, hands, speed.. hits, RH shot with a big frame. And he is a shoot first player that can pass.. he has the nose for the net. This guy falling to the Oilers at 4 is beyond a blessing.. he is the perfect player for the 'new look' Oilers. This guy could end up at 6'4" 230, and has a james neal release. watching him in traffic at his size makes me smile, I really think i would have picked him over laine.

He definitely has the potential to be better than Laine. I know some like Laine's confidence/swagger. Personally I just think Pulju is going to gel better in the dressing room, especially on a team where McDavid is already the star.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
He definitely has the potential to be better than Laine. I know some like Laine's confidence/swagger. Personally I just think Pulju is going to gel better in the dressing room, especially on a team where McDavid is already the star.

I think the Laine hype is the ridiculous one-timer, its a thing of beauty.. but Puljujarvi has more of the stuff you can't coach. People easily forget there is more to hockey than goal scoring, especially when Laine was lighting the lamp at the rate he was.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
How many Oilers on the current roster like to shoot off the rush? Seems they all look for the extra pass.. I think this guy brings that element, this team needs more 'shoot first'.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think the Laine hype is the ridiculous one-timer, its a thing of beauty.. but Puljujarvi has more of the stuff you can't coach. People easily forget there is more to hockey than goal scoring, especially when Laine was lighting the lamp at the rate he was.

Honestly seems like you haven't really seen Laine play many full games. Out of his 36 goals about three or four were scored with one-timers. It is in fact his wrister that is as deadly as his one-timer. Then there is the very high hockey IQ and passing skills that Laine has clearly over Pulju. Laine's hands are also by a huge margin better than Pulju's. And Laine has even caught up with the skating advantage that Pulju used to have before.

All in all, Laine is by all means a way better player than Pulju. I do like Pulju and I do very much hope he will eventually pan out. But I don't believe that he will ever be a true elite class player like Laine will definitely be. Pulju just doesn't have enough of hockey IQ and smarts.

Edit: Oops, realized only afterwards that this was a really old thread and the post that I was commenting was also from a year ago. Nevermind my comment. I'm sure no one sees Laine and Pulju as even players in much of areas today.

Last edited:

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Honestly seems like you haven't really seen Laine play many full games. Out of his 36 goals about three or four were scored with one-timers. It is in fact his wrister that is as deadly as his one-timer. Then there is the very high hockey IQ and passing skills that Laine has clearly over Pulju. Laine's hands are also by a huge margin better than Pulju's. And Laine has even caught up with the skating advantage that Pulju used to have before.

All in all, Laine is by all means a way better player than Pulju. I do like Pulju and I do very much hope he will eventually pan out. But I don't believe that he will ever be a true elite class player like Laine will definitely be. Pulju just doesn't have enough of hockey IQ and smarts.

Edit: Oops, realized only afterwards that this was a really old thread and the post that I was commenting was also from a year ago. Nevermind my comment. I'm sure no one sees Laine and Pulju as even players in much of areas today.

Excellent post- I too don't believe Pulju is on the same level as Laine.

I have concerns regarding Pulju but would love if he just took off with his skill set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad