Speculation: 2016 Deadline Sellapaloza Thread | 2/29 3PM | (Proposals, Blog Rumors, etc. here)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm no armchair GM but these deals being proposed seem way out of touch with reality. The only one close to me is the Hartnell-Theodore swap. I don't see us getting an additional pick though being realistic.

I value Theodore more than I do Hartnell at this point in his career (especially when you consider the state of this franchise as it stands) but I could definitely see Bob Murray thinking Hartnell might be the piece that puts the Ducks in serious contention for the Cup. It's a deal I think you have to do if you're in that spot. Perry and Getzlaf aren't going to play forever and now is the time to pull out all the stops.

EDIT: Then again...looking at the cap situation in Anaheim, I'm not seeing how this is feasible. Signing Vatanen, Lindholm, and Andersen (not to mention a much larger cap hit for Despres next year) will be difficult enough. Adding Hartnell's salary is just unrealistic, even in the sure situation where Perron walks.

I'm not sure what the internal budget is for the Ducks but I think they could do it if they want to. You are basically swapping Hartnell's money for Perron & Stewart and put a bit in the bank. The 3 guys you mention are RFA's so advantage Anaheim. I think the odds are slim it happens more because I don't think they want to give up Theodore than cap reasons.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
You guys can drop the Theodore discussion. He's much too impressive to consider moving for short term gain. If anything we can save money by trading Vatanen and replacing him with Theo.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I would Do something around Vatanen and Hartnell. I know Vatanen is another RFA but it would provide another upgrade to the back end.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dion phaneuf to Ottawa. Wow

#Sens get Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I wonder if they did that because Karlsson called out management as being a budget team

I hope the Blue Jackets one up them

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Consider the source, but... :(

Jackets couldn't have done what Leafs did with all the contracts/money coming back. Plus Phaneuf is a better player for the contract than Tyutin is now. So yeah, I'd have loved to move Fedor... I wonder what that would have looked like with Sens. Nothing like this though.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jackets couldn't have done what Leafs did with all the contracts/money coming back. Plus Phaneuf is a better player for the contract than Tyutin is now. So yeah, I'd have loved to move Fedor... I wonder what that would have looked like with Sens. Nothing like this though.
All true. If I were a Sens fan I'd be breathing a sigh of relief at that comment. Still, tho - grar.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's a pretty good deal for Ottawa IMO. Dumped their worst contracts and addressed their biggest need.

Karlsson-Methot
Phaneuf-Ceci

That's a pretty good top 4.

I don't get it. Michalek and Cowen match Phaneuf's salary, but they would have come off the books after next season. Phaneuf is around until 2021 at $7 million.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don't get it. Michalek and Cowen match Phaneuf's salary, but they would have come off the books after next season. Phaneuf is around until 2021 at $7 million.
Yeah. Ottawa added a top 4 D that's locked into a contract with term. They fit his salary in by moving out garbage in the form of Cowen, Greening, and Michalek (somewhat).

I'm not saying this trade is a home run for Ottawa. I do think it currently sits in their favor though, and it primes their blueline for some postseason runs over the next few years. Hopefully, for Ottawa, Phaneuf's productivity will increase now that he isn't the go-to guy on a terrible team like he was with the Leafs. Kind of what we hope/hoped would happen to JJ once we acquired Jones.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You have to wonder if Karlsson forced the Sens to do this. Phaneuf's contract is going to be negative value for long after all the other contracts in the deal are expired.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah. Ottawa added a top 4 D that's locked into a contract with term. They fit his salary in by moving out garbage in the form of Cowen, Greening, and Michalek (somewhat).

I'm not saying this trade is a home run for Ottawa. I do think it currently sits in their favor though, and it primes their blueline for some postseason runs over the next few years. Hopefully, for Ottawa, Phaneuf's productivity will increase now that he isn't the go-to guy on a terrible team like he was with the Leafs. Kind of what we hope/hoped would happen to JJ once we acquired Jones.

Phaneuf has been playing second pair for the Leafs this year, with easier competition. And he's playing better. I used his example to argue that the Jackets should acquire someone like Jones so they could make things easier for JJ.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Let's cool it. They're not doing Vatanen for Hartnell either. Value is still way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad