Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There is no income tax in Florida, which helps. New York's top bracket is something like 9%, if I recall correctly (something I only know because of onilne hockey chat hfboards.com - hahaha). That makes some amount of difference over the life of a 7yr contract, I'd think. Plus Tampa is the only team that can offer him an 8yr deal.

Neat little tool here: http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

$8.5M in Tampa (FL) pays a tax of about $3.3, so Stamkos keeps $5.2

$12M in Buffalo (NY) pays a tax of about $5.7, so Stamkos keeps $6.3

$10M in Detroit (MI) pays a tax of about $4.5, so Stamkos keeps $5.5

$10.5M in Toronto (ON) pays a tax of about $5.6, so Stamkos keeps $4.9

I used different contract values for each of the likely landing spots. These are the rumored numbers that each club may offer.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Neat little tool here: http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

I used different contract values for each of the likely landing spots. These are the rumored numbers that each club may offer.

10M in Arizona (AZ) pays a tax of about $4.3, so Stamkos keeps $5.7 Yeah, I know.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

So he saves money by staying in Tampa versus Toronto and gets to play for a good team instead of a crappy one. I vote Tampa, there.

He'd make a little more in Detroit, but he'd have to move to Detroit. Tampa's core is pretty young. Not sure it's worth it. And Tampa can give him the 8th year. Slight edge Tampa?

He'd make quite a bit more in Buffalo. That's one to consider. Then again, it's Buffalo. And Tampa can give him the 8th year. Buffalo can't. But Buffalo has a bunch of nice looking futures and a very rich owner. There's potential for some good teams in the near future. Maybe a draw?

I can see him just staying in Tampa, is all I'm saying. None of these scenarios are just blowing the Bolts out of the water. Which is probably why they capped their offer at that amount. Gives him a lot to think about.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Factor in team, cost of living, weather, community, etc. etc. Stamkos better stay in Tampa. I don't see Buffalo offering $12M. If they do they are nuts.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
All Tampa really needs to do is bump up their offer a bit (to say 9 or 9.5 million) and Stamkos would probably sign over the 10-11 million offers from others. If that extra .5-1.5 million puts them over the cap, they could easily move some players tomake room. Of course they have other RFAs to sign as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese