2016 Copa America Part II

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Embarrassing flop by the Argentinian player. At least he finally figured out the ref wasn't going to call anything and got up.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen a ref in the way as much as this guy.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Here comes that damn VW commercial. I hate hate hate IT

nevermind, no commericals!

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
FIFA rankings put more value on friendlies and qualifying matches and less on big tournaments than most fans.

False, the FIFA rankings are in fact calculated in such a way that teams who play lots of friendlies are disadvantaged. Because a team's ranking comes from the average point score they get per match, with match-importance being included as part of that, friendlies in fact drag down the overall average. A team with a 9-1 record who has earned 5 of their wins in friendlies ends up with a lower FIFA ranking than a team with a 4-1 record who didn't play a single friendly match.

For a real life example, from July 2014 to July 2015, Slovakia had a record of 9-0-0, with 6 of those wins being in competitive fixtures (i.e. qualifiers). Wales, on the advice of a consultant, didn't play friendlies at all, and finished with a record of 4-0-2 that year. Wales had a significantly higher "point value" per match and got a higher ranking position because friendlies dragged down Slovakia's average.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
False, the FIFA rankings are in fact calculated in such a way that teams who play lots of friendlies are disadvantaged. Because a team's ranking comes from the average point score they get per match, with match-importance being included as part of that, friendlies in fact drag down the overall average. A team with a 9-1 record who has earned 5 of their wins in friendlies ends up with a lower FIFA ranking than a team with a 4-1 record who didn't play a single friendly match.

For a real life example, from July 2014 to July 2015, Slovakia had a record of 9-0-0, with 6 of those wins being in competitive fixtures (i.e. qualifiers). Wales, on the advice of a consultant, didn't play friendlies at all, and finished with a record of 4-0-2 that year. Wales had a significantly higher "point value" per match and got a higher ranking position because friendlies dragged down Slovakia's average.

Thanks. I don't pay attention to it really.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Thanks. I don't pay attention to it really.

It's a broken system. The other major problem, and that which really disadvantages Germany, is that you don't really get rewarded for making a deep run into a tournament. Chile's win over Spain in 2014 counted for more than Germany's win in the final against Argentina. It's stupid.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It's a broken system. The other major problem, and that which really disadvantages Germany, is that you don't really get rewarded for making a deep run into a tournament. Chile's win over Spain in 2014 counted for more than Germany's win in the final against Argentina. It's stupid.

TBH Chile played better in that match than Germany in the final. Maybe the FIFA system isn't that bad. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad