2016 Copa America Part II

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
PK shootout is one of the only situations in this sport where I believe choking can possibly be applied.

That being said, Higuain bottled a very clear scoring chance (again) that was by far the best of the game and I'd expect most strikers to score. I think we'd be talking about this game a lot differently if he had been on the bench where he belongs.

Jan 3, 2012
PK shootout is one of the only situations in this sport where I believe choking can possibly be applied.

That being said, Higuain bottled a very clear scoring chance (again) and I think we'd be talking about this game a lot differently if he had been on the bench where he belongs.

real talk

guy is a plug

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Crofl Misty

Lol goat conversation

Doesn't affect GOAT conversation.

That being said, Higuain bottled a very clear scoring chance (again) that was by far the best of the game and I'd expect most strikers to score. I think we'd be talking about this game a lot differently if he had been on the bench where he belongs.

I didn't think it was a guaranteed conversion but whatever. Higuain is a great player too.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He is. Not great for his country in big games though.

The team as a whole is poorly structured offensively in these matches or not set up for the offensive players to succeed. Sure, the chance vs. Germany was a huge one, and this was one that he had a good chance of converting as well. It's just sad when people take these moments to define the legacy of Higuain or Messi.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
God damnit, my tv's just been smashed before the Chile penalty, a football just came flying through the window out of nowhere and smashed right into it. Did Chile win?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Collectively Argentina has a big issue in big games. It doesn't make sense that the team we saw tonight is the same team we saw throughout the tournament.

Feel bad for Messi, he did choke on that penalty but at least he was the best Argentinian player on the field. OTOH, ADM, Aguero and Higuain were all crap.

Why the **** Tata used Biglia over Augusto btw? And why even use him in penalties? He was barely able to make a pass correctly.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Sixth consecutive finals loss for Argentina, 1x World Cup, 2x Confederation Cups, 3x Copa America (all of those in shootout)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What seems to happen to Argentina when they play against good opposition is that the tactics immediately default to negativity, and getting the ball to Messi when there's 2 v 5 or 6 and expecting him to get a goal out of it. That more than anything else is the reason Messi can't win Copa America or the World Cup.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
:laugh: Messi with the choke when it counts most

Yet he's shown up when it's counts most time and time and time again throughout his career. The only player who can be considered more of a big match player than Messi right now is Iniesta and that's due to the stages he's shown up on and not the frequency with which he's shown up. Apart from Iniesta there isn't anyone else in the conversation. So laugh all you want, but you look really stupid doing so and posting that.

True, he wasn't the GOAT before, he still isn't.

As usual you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. He's in the conversation along with only one other player. That's a conversation Ronaldo isn't even close too, just like he's not even close to Messi. Hasn't been since Messi was about 20 years old. Ronaldo shouldn't have even won the Ballon d' Or in 2013 or 2014 either.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Don't worry. Aside from Ronaldo's fanboys the whole world wanted to see Argentina win. Tonight's game doesn't change **** about Messi's legacy.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Messi's PK was Platini bad. It's fair game if the goalie stops it but Jesus Corona, to blow it out of the stadium?!?

I was incredibly infuriated with the garbage corners from Argentina. For one, they barely ever cleared the first Chilean defender and, for two, most of the Argentines are below 5'9. Would it kill them to try a short corner or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad