2016 Copa America Part II

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Don't worry. Aside from Ronaldo's fanboys the whole world wanted to see Argentina win. Tonight's game doesn't change **** about Messi's legacy.

In Latin America, like 80% were rooting for Chile. Argentines are widely regarded as some arrogant snobs.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Vamos Chile!! Back to back Champs babay! I went to the semifinal in Chicago, it was incredible. What a frickin team. Russia, here we come.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The hate Messi gets is laughable. Whether he is the best player of all time is a fair question to ask, I dont think there is a definitive answer. But much like is happening with LeBron, just appreciate greatness as we are witnessing it.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
What seems to happen to Argentina when they play against good opposition is that the tactics immediately default to negativity, and getting the ball to Messi when there's 2 v 5 or 6 and expecting him to get a goal out of it. That more than anything else is the reason Messi can't win Copa America or the World Cup.

Messi was at times guarded by 4 or 5 players which left an open field everywhere else. He often escaped that pressure.

The only problem?

No one wanted to make runs or open up space on the wings. They all clustered in the middle. I noticed multiple times that the Argentinians just refused to make some overlaps on the outside. That doesn't work against a tight-defending Chile side.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Don't worry. Aside from Ronaldo's fanboys the whole world wanted to see Argentina win. Tonight's game doesn't change **** about Messi's legacy.

I'm not worried. Argentina could have won and you'd still get the clueless commentary about Messi. It's nothing new.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
- Trolls out in full force with this one. If Argentina won this game, they would've called it a fake tournament, made only so Messi can win something. Guarantee you half of them either haven't watched the tournament at all or just caught the last 10 minutes of this one.

THere's no excuse for not winning, you lost the same ****ing way 3 times in a row. You only have yourselves to blame. Why did Lamela who was arguably Argnetina's 2nd best offensive player this tournament not start? Why did you rely on broken players from day 1? **** this team and **** tata. Infuse the young players and forget this whole generation of losers. They don't deserve to wear the shirt again.

God damnit, my tv's just been smashed before the Chile penalty, a football just came flying through the window out of nowhere and smashed right into it. Did Chile win?

Nope, ALgeria/Portugal won.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Got a load of texts from a mate upon conclusion of the match on how Zidane was a better player than Messi is/will be by the end of it.
Somebody please save me from this hellish suffering.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Mascherano too.

Anyway, this is the kind of power play somebody pulls to get a real organization in their FA and a real coach so I don't think he'll actually do it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
THere's always rumours he quits after a tournament...but I think this is real considering it looks like it came form his own mouth but I have zero Spanish.

I don't think after a loss like this you can get motivated...everyone has a breaking point and I think we just seen Messi's. Don't blame him for a second all things considered with the AFA but he'll probably be back in time for 2018. As will I...I'll try to take a break but the second Dybala comes a staple with the team, i'll be back like a ****ing idiot.

Where's Higuain's resignation? Doesn't even deserve his nickname anymore.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Thanks for sharing that. Seems reactionary from Messi. Mascherano is more understandable considering his age, but again he too could factor in at the next World Cup considering his current level. As a Barça supporter I welcome it just as I wish the Spanish players didn't play for Spain. That said I like Messi for example and so I want to see him succeed away from the club as well considering what he's brought me as a supporter. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Messi at the next World Cup. Plenty of time for him to think it over.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The stupid Argentine fans who complain about him will shut the **** up after three games played without him if he really retired.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi: "I think it's good for everyone. First for me and then for everyone else. I believe there are a lot of people who want that".

Lionel Messi: "That's already 4 finals. I've tried a lot. It's what is most wanted. For me, it's done."

I just woke up from a nap...wish I hadn't.

Kun also rumoured to be retiring...waiting on Higuain? You'll never play again but it's time to do the right thing and take the option out of the head coaches job.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Messi: "I think it's good for everyone. First for me and then for everyone else. I believe there are a lot of people who want that".

Lionel Messi: "That's already 4 finals. I've tried a lot. It's what is most wanted. For me, it's done."

I just woke up from a nap...wish I hadn't.

Kun also rumoured to be retiring...waiting on Higuain? You'll never play again but it's time to do the right thing and take the option out of the head coaches job.

Power play, gotta be.

The thing lots of people don't understand about national team play isn't only that those players are playing for their country, they are playing for ****ing morons. Both in the stands and in the dugout. Everyone gets tired of that. There's maybe a handful of national teams out there not run by total morons both as coaches and the federation level. They usually win every tournament as well. Chile is one of the rare exceptions to that. Politics in terms of team selection all over the place. Three finals in a row lost while never taking the best team and best coach they could get, couldn't take much of that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Kun's "retirement" is "official".

Lavezzi,Biglia and Higuain in the next coming hours are expected to leave. Some reports ADM is a goner too.

By the end of today, it's just going to be Grondona's ghost kicking a ball around.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Doubt they really retire.
They just took a very big blow losing the same way as last time.

Changes gotta come in technical staff though

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All things considered I thought this was a great tournament and despite the lack of goals in the final a very good final too. Lots of speed and great tempo throughout the whole thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad