GDT: 2016 CHL Top Prospects Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
i think that's wishful thinking... Only Matthews and Dubois are higher ranked centers. Doubt the 3rd best center lasts till 17.

I could maybe see him slipping to 14 but thats as far as he would go i think.

Bellows, Jost and Keller could easily pass him and it depends where some of the D like Bean, Clague, Fabbro go.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Went and watched Jost and fabbro play last week. 5 points for jost and 3 for fabbro I think. 8-2 game. Wish they coulda played in this game

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
I'd be surprised to see Macleod drop out of the top 12. Feel completely confident he will go top 15 at absolute worst.

But, I was thinking similar things about Travis Konecny last year, so what do I know (Konecny was a smallish player already struggling with concussion issues though, Macleod is different).

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
where is logan brown projected to go now, I know at the beginning of the season he was in the 10-12 range, then last I looked he fell right out of the first round, he seems to be going pretty good now, any way he will be in range for the penguins pick

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Not a chance ... I have seem him ranked as high as #2 and #4 (McKeens).
McLeod is the sleeper. Stud family bloodline to boot ...

dear god no... that would be a disgusting reach... I could see him going about 8th at the earliest.. realistically in that 9-12 range depending who goes for DMen

where is logan brown projected to go now, I know at the beginning of the season he was in the 10-12 range, then last I looked he fell right out of the first round, he seems to be going pretty good now, any way he will be in range for the penguins pick

I like him as a target with the Pitt pick he should be going late teens maybe early 20s.

******Obviously everything is subject to change... still tons of hockey left before the draft.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
yeah I also had him with the penguins pick, id love the idea of walking away from the draft with Mathews/fins/chuck and brown. for our firsts, then take defence goalies in the second and third round and boom/bust wingers with our later picks.

would give us a nice set of skilled big guys.

OvenMittz*

I'm pretty sure if we pick up a solid forward ( Matthews, 2 fins or Tkachuk) we will be drafting a Defensemen with our other 1st. Probably that fin defensemen from London or Chychrun if he falls to us some how.. I don't see us stacking on forwards with our best picks (unless its BPA with our best pick)

We got a bunch of forward prospects but not enough high end defensive ones..

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I guess it depends on teams - but I don't see McLeod being there at the Pens pick. However, we do seem to see guys slip a bit.

I think we are looking at (if Pens make the playoffs)
Brown, Jost, Clague, McAvoy.

I see Max Jones being the slider this year - into the 20 range.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
I didn't watch the game nor have I been paying too much attention to him but it seems as though Chychrun hasn't exactly impressed this year. Didn't make team Canada, unimpressive in the prospects game. Obviously, those two things alone won't determine his draft ranking but it has to have had some effect.

How has he been doing in the regular season? Has his draft stock dropped off from the projected 4-6 ish range a lot of people were predicting early on in the season? Has Juolevi surpassed him as the best defenseman in the draft?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not a chance ... I have seem him ranked as high as #2 and #4 (McKeens).
McLeod is the sleeper. Stud family bloodline to boot ...

McLeod is my favourite prospect in this upcoming draft. He is the new version of Matt Duchene.

Kid has outstanding speed and slick offensive skills. I love watching him center Alex Nylander in their Mississauga games.

While he didn't score any points in this game he was still very noticeable. Leafs would have to trade up from the Pittsburgh pick to get him as draft spots 5-10 is where he is likely to go.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Loved what I saw from a bunch of potential picks from the game last night. I am not sure who we come out of the 1st with, but we will I am sure get 2 high end prospects. I think at this point I just find myself over thinking the 1st round or getting too excited about a top 3 pick, which we desperately need. It is however the 2nd round where I get pickier, I think we really need to draft Hart with that first 2nd rounder if he is there. The more I read about & see this kid the more impressed I am. It doesn't hurt he plays for a former NHL coach who endorses him highly. For as much as we need that stud centre we need that same type of true #1goalie, this guy just has that written all over him it seems. But could be just me I guess?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pierre-Luc Dubois was a beast in this game, offensively, defensively and doing all the little things well, hitting, blocking shots and dangling.

He looks like he is going to be a dandy as a pro power forward in the NHL some day.

I thought he was the best playing in this game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jake Bean or Alex DeBrincat are interesting Pitt 1st pics.

Leafs are full of small skilled forwards mainly all wingers in their prospect pool.

I really hope that this year the Leafs scouts Hunter and company are focusing more on skill with size and/or core positions as in C, D or G.

Jake Bean on the other hand is a nice sleeper pick with the Pens 1st rounder although he is only 5-11 and fairly small as a NHL Dman.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If they pick offense with our first pick, I hope they go D with the second.

Stanley doesn't look like a 1st rounder, but 6'7"...
Maybe Sergachev will slip

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Pittsburg pick? Not to Leafs.

Pittsburg has to make the playoffs in order for the Leafs to get Pens first rounder this year.
If they miss the playoffs, it's a second this year.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If they pick offense with our first pick, I hope they go D with the second.

Stanley doesn't look like a 1st rounder, but 6'7"...
Maybe Sergachev will slip

I can't see Sergachev falling... if anything I see him climbing.

Stanley could be there for our 2nd round pick.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
What about this ?

Mathews,Laine,or Tkachuk with our 1st round pick depending on our draft spot.
Juolevi if we get Pens 1st

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What about this ?

I personally can't see Juolevi available by a playoff team pick.

Many scouts have him and Chychrun as the 2 best Dmen in the draft. Juolevi lead all Dmen in scoring at the last WJC and I believe set a new record for the youngest Dmen ever in a WJC with most points.

Playing in the hotbed of London with other high profile top 1st round picks Tkachuk/Jones he is getting plenty of viewing and exposure.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
What about this ?

Zero chance he's there by the pens pick... if hes there when the pens pick is up the Leafs won't be owning the pick.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs are full of small skilled forwards mainly all wingers in their prospect pool.

I really hope that this year the Leafs scouts Hunter and company are focusing more on skill with size and/or core positions as in C, D or G.

Jake Bean on the other hand is a nice sleeper pick with the Pens 1st rounder although he is only 5-11 and fairly small as a NHL Dman.

See it's this type of thinking I don't like. It reminds me of Burke. "We don't have enough grit or North Americans, so let's draft a bunch of kids from Canada that are big just because we need them"

We should always pick the BPA...if it's a small winger then we deal with the depth afterwards but I never agree with selecting a specific position just because we don't have enough or we avoid selecting a player because we have too much of it already.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
See it's this type of thinking I don't like. It reminds me of Burke. "We don't have enough grit or North Americans, so let's draft a bunch of kids from Canada that are big just because we need them"

We should always pick the BPA...if it's a small winger then we deal with the depth afterwards but I never agree with selecting a specific position just because we don't have enough or we avoid selecting a player because we have too much of it already.

I already told Mess this. like.
worry about tomorrow's problems tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad