2016 ALWC: Toronto Blue Jays vs Baltimore Orioles

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Stroman confirmed. I would have gone with Liriano. Pitching better of late, better pure stuff, has pitched a WC game before and the Orioles hit better against righties.

Stroman has had a bad cloud hanging over him for weeks too, can't get run support, balls finding holes, etc.

Yeah, same.

Liriano has a 1.35 ERA in his last 6 appearances and a WHIP under 1.00. Guy is feeling it right now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seems everyone is talking up Jays

I don't know ,, I see O's winning game for no particular reason

Just a coin toss and everyone seems to be ignoring the O's for some reason

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I can't remember...do teams set their rosters for this one game only, and then again for the LDS...or do they set it once for both the WC game and LDS? If it is the former, I wonder if Toronto even puts Sanchez on the roster for the game after pitching yesterday and instead add another BP arm or bench player.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Picking the Orioles here.

Jays have been playing over their head all year and LOL@ Stroman.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Stroman confirmed. I would have gone with Liriano. Pitching better of late, better pure stuff, has pitched a WC game before and the Orioles hit better against righties.

I doubt the first statement (though it's moot because Stroman has been so up-and-down this year that it isn't much of anything to mention that he has great talent) and as for the second, Stroman pitched Game 5 in the ALDS last year. It's not as if this will be his first win-or-go-home game. But it is true that Liriano has been very good lately (surprisingly, as Pittsburgh gave away two good prospects to get rid of him). But given that Gibbons had no problem last year with bringing David Price out of the bullpen when you had 3 capable starters, vs. today, with 5 guys you can put in a playoff game comfortably, if Stroman shows early signs of struggling it can easily be Liriano time.

That said, with these lineups it could go either way- either team can get blown out easily. The biggest saving grace is that Baltimore is terrible on the road- but in a one game playoff, really anything can happen.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How have they been playing over their head? they've underachieved if anything.

Stroman is better than any starter the Orioles have.

I will save him some time

Rabble rabble Stroman would be in the minors for the Cubs herp derp he got nothing on Hammels!!!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What are the projected lineups here? I'm guessing

O's:
1B Davis
2B Schoop
3B Machado
SS Hardy
C Wieters
LF Kim
CF Jones
RF Trumbo
DH Alvarez

Jays:
1B Smoak
2B Travis
3B Donaldson
SS Tulowitzki
C Martin
LF Bautista
CF Pillar
RF Saunders
DH Encarnacion

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What are the projected lineups here? I'm guessing

O's:
1B Davis
2B Schoop
3B Machado
SS Hardy
C Wieters
LF Kim
CF Jones
RF Trumbo
DH Alvarez

Jays:
1B Smoak
2B Travis
3B Donaldson
SS Tulowitzki
C Martin
LF Bautista
CF Pillar
RF Saunders
DH Encarnacion

Jays:
1B:Encarnacion
2B:Travis
3B: Donaldson
SS:Tulowitzki
C:Martin
LF:Saunders
CF: Pillar
RF:Carrera
DH:Bautista

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I can't remember...do teams set their rosters for this one game only, and then again for the LDS...or do they set it once for both the WC game and LDS? If it is the former, I wonder if Toronto even puts Sanchez on the roster for the game after pitching yesterday and instead add another BP arm or bench player.

Sanchez is not on the roster for tonight's game, neither is Happ. Estrada and Lirano are though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Even though I prefer the Orioles I'd like to see the Jays win just so that the Rangers can destroy them.

Really want to see Odor vs. Bautista round 2.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Toronto needs to get out to an early lead if they have any chance to win.

If it comes down to the bullpen, they're doomed (especially with guys like Loup being on the roster now)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Toronto needs to get out to an early lead if they have any chance to win.

If it comes down to the bullpen, they're doomed (especially with guys like Loup being on the roster now)

Like do you actually think Loup is going to find a high leverage situation that he will even get a chance to make an impact in this game? I honestly don't get it :laugh: If the Jays need a Lefty we have Liriano and Cecil who go in before him....If Loup is in the game we have probably already lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad