Prospect Info: 2016 58th Overall Pick | RW Taylor Raddysh

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He skates fine but as of this very moment do you think he'd be able to keep up with guys like Drouin, Johnson or Kucherov? It's an acceleration issue more than anything else. The kid reminds me of a boulder going down hill. It starts slow at first but then it gets faster and stronger as it picks up speed. He's a strong skater but he'll have to take advantage of the strength and size that's going to come with the rest of his bodily maturity. Because right now I'd say the answer to the question is that he probably keeps up half the time with a Drouin/Kucherov + Johnson while the rest of the they either have to slow down for Raddysh while he gets a full head of steam going or he just comes in as the late man on the play going just as fast as they were 20+ feet ago.

Truth be told I think it's just best he be groomed to play with Stamkos because I think that'll work out better than putting him with a speed demon.
Kucherov isn't that fast of a skater, i'm not sure that fits. He is a very smooth, very strong skater with good foot speed. Drouin is a fast accelerator, with great agility and lateral movement. Johnson is a great all around skater with great speed.

That said, after seeing him quite a bit at camp, he has very little issue with his skating. Watching him come off the wall and take two strides to the post is a thing of beauty. He doesn't need to be exceptionally fast, just enough to maintain pace, and to do that in a way that doesn't exhaust him over the course of 60 minutes because he has bad form. Right now, I think all of those boxes are checked.

I feel like people forget that Stamkos is a fast skater too. The system change has just made that element of Stamkos' game harder to see since he's not getting sprung for as many odd man rushes (note - not a bad thing).
True, and I feel where he truly shines is how he maintains his speed, even when he stops striding. Some guys are like a car in beach sand, once they're off the gas they're slowing down drastically. Only a few guys in the league can glide the way he does, McDavid is one that does it extremely well (of course). MacKinnon is another. He has also changed his playstyle, and that playstyle also dictates pace. He doesn't want or need to be the fastest guy up ice anymore, as he is every bit as good a setup man rather than the pure-shooter 60 goal scorer he once was.

Stamkos is a good skater but I wouldn't put him at a level like Drouin or Kucherov. Raddysh will work on his skating no matter what and when the day comes I think he should be able to keep up with Stamkos just fine. In both men's defense it's hard as hell to keep up with a Drouin and Kucherov anyway. We all feel one way or another about him but Stamkos was blessed to have Marty St. Louis as a mentor.

I wonder how much of it is due to his stride. He's skates pretty weird.
He has a very wide stride, but really, he hasn't had the explosiveness he had in his first two seasons since he broke his leg.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Kucherov isn't that fast of a skater, i'm not sure that fits. He is a very smooth, very strong skater with good foot speed. Drouin is a fast accelerator, with great agility and lateral movement. Johnson is a great all around skater with great speed.

That said, after seeing him quite a bit at camp, he has very little issue with his skating. Watching him come off the wall and take two strides to the post is a thing of beauty. He doesn't need to be exceptionally fast, just enough to maintain pace, and to do that in a way that doesn't exhaust him over the course of 60 minutes because he has bad form. Right now, I think all of those boxes are checked.

True, and I feel where he truly shines is how he maintains his speed, even when he stops striding. Some guys are like a car in beach sand, once they're off the gas they're slowing down drastically. Only a few guys in the league can glide the way he does, McDavid is one that does it extremely well (of course). MacKinnon is another. He has also changed his playstyle, and that playstyle also dictates pace. He doesn't want or need to be the fastest guy up ice anymore, as he is every bit as good a setup man rather than the pure-shooter 60 goal scorer he once was.

He has a very wide stride, but really, he hasn't had the explosiveness he had in his first two seasons since he broke his leg.

Heh just imagine how much more dangerous he would be if he had pre-broken leg speed again.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Raddysh I actually value higher than Katchouk personally. Now its not that Katchouk is a bad player, no I think he has NHL potential to him. Just Raddysh, for me has the package you want someone in your top six to have. Only thing holding him back is his speed really, which isn't that huge of a hindrance that we would like to make it out to be.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Heh just imagine how much more dangerous he would be if he had pre-broken leg speed again.
I mean, yeah, but honestly he is so much more and so much better as an all around player. Having that burst would be nice, but I like the guy with much better vision and sense of how to use those around him.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think he is what we need on our 2nd to 4th line. A heavy winger that uses his frame and can get in the dirty areas to create opportunities to score.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think Bolts Prospects is underrating him a bit. That skating is a lot better and he looks better to me at 21 than Erne did at the same age. Raddysh is gonna be a good one. Not saying great but I'm comfortable projecting he's gonna be better than Erne. If he peaks to what I think he is then something like 12 goals and 30 points a year is absolutely realistic for him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't see any reason for him to be with the big club this year, though. Having a 20-30 season with Syracuse would look really good.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I got Raddysh penciled in as the #2 Syracuse addition behind Volkov and our de-facto 13th forward

(No order)
Johnson-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Gourde
Joseph-Cirelli-Killorn
Maroon-Paquette-Volkov

Raddysh

I think the kid is ready or at least deserves that 9 or 11 game stint or whatever it is that rookies get on a tryout. Big Rig doesn't need to play all 82 games and neither does Volkov. I think Raddysh deserves a look at season's start.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I got Raddysh penciled in as the #2 Syracuse addition behind Volkov and our de-facto 13th forward

(No order)
Johnson-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Gourde
Joseph-Cirelli-Killorn
Maroon-Paquette-Volkov

Raddysh

I think the kid is ready or at least deserves that 9 or 11 game stint or whatever it is that rookies get on a tryout. Big Rig doesn't need to play all 82 games and neither does Volkov. I think Raddysh deserves a look at season's start.

What about Verheaghe? He deserves a look every bit as much as Raddysh. He's come a long way since we acquired him and he showed that work last year with the scoring title in the A. He really should be right there with Volkov as the next in the line and getting looks with the veterans in camp.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Looking forward to seeing how he does in training camp. We're going to need him next season when the cap gets tight and forward spots open up.

I don't see him making the team this year, but good to have a call-up ready to go when the injury bug hits.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Dip in numbers this year — while Colton and Barre-Boulet seemed to take steps forward. Is that a reflection on his game or just the normal ups and downs of a 22-year-old in his second AHL season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad