Prospect Info: 2016 58th Overall Pick | RW Taylor Raddysh

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Taylor has plenty to prove at the OHL. Like can he produce on a line that doesn't have a top-3 pick on it.

Wasn't his production pretty much the same when Strome was on his stint in the NHL? I'm not quite sure but that's what I remember.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Taylor has plenty to prove at the OHL. Like can he produce on a line that doesn't have a top-3 pick on it.

This isn't a Drouin situation - or even a Connolly situation. He has plenty of fundamentals to work on, and he absolutely still has plenty to prove.

Oh don't worry Macho. Well we've already seen the answer to that question and it is was a resounding yes. He was leading the league in scoring with 39 points in his first 15 games (prior to Strome coming back) and there was even an article made.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/bolt-prospect-taylor-raddysh-leads-ohl-in-scoring/c-283504132

and here's his game log for ***** and giggles

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/players/6892/game_by_game/56

Strome coming back was just icing on the cake and for what it's worth that was on November 24th.

He was annihilating the competition for almost 2 months and wasn't gonna slow down

As for fundamentals? Yeah.... his skating. He's got no small amount of work to do there but to his credit he's hard to stop once he has a head of steam and is as strong on the puck as you'd want in a player. His scoring touch doesn't blow me away but it's at a level I would expect of a player his age and I think 50 goals is a realistic achievement for him next year in the OHL. Raddysh's instinct without the puck isn't spectacular either but he knows how to get open for a pass and isn't afraid to be creative at a playmaking standpoint. At the very least he occupies the slot if he's not doing anything else and that's always a big plus to me.

Taylor Raddysh is a good 2 or 3 years away but the tools are there for a 3rd line swinger who can sometimes slot into the top 6 and can play on the power play kind of like how Killorn does but I think Raddysh plays a lot more "interested" if you catch my drift. Only thing stopping Raddysh is himself.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd put Raddysh's ceiling much, much higher. I think that self assessment he gave was more humble and done purposefully within ear shot of Yzerman, because Killorn is a team first complimentary winger with defensive acumen which coaches love.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd put Raddysh's ceiling much, much higher. I think that self assessment he gave was more humble and done purposefully within ear shot of Yzerman, because Killorn is a team first complimentary winger with defensive acumen which coaches love.

Agreed about that if he reaches his ceiling. But it's tough for me to tell if he's going to reach it because he's still years out. At least for now I can confidently predict he'll be a useful 3rd liner with occasional top 6 potential. I think saying Raddysh will score 15 goals at the NHL level is a safe prediction and I'll be happy when it happens. His skating really concerns me but if nothing else his ability to get open for passes and the fact he goes straight for the slot if he's doing nothing else will buy him an NHL career.

His ceiling is interesting because his shot can be surprisingly accurate at times and if Raddysh works on his skating he should be able to score several goals off the rush or at least deal some good passes to his teammates. That'll easily add an extra 5 points to his yearly total and reach his goal potential at closer to 20.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Top-line ceiling, IMO.

If and ONLY if he works on his skating so he can keep up with our guys. I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure right now Kucherov can skate faster backwards and Raddysh can forward. I'm not knocking the kid but if that doesn't change then he's not gonna top line anything here in Tampa. Luckily he has years and years to work on it.

I'd set a goal for him to match Callahan in skating. Is it the best skating you'll ever see? No it's not. But Ryan gets the job done and can HAUL ASS effectively when he needs to.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Agreed about that if he reaches his ceiling. But it's tough for me to tell if he's going to reach it because he's still years out. At least for now I can confidently predict he'll be a useful 3rd liner with occasional top 6 potential. I think saying Raddysh will score 15 goals at the NHL level is a safe prediction and I'll be happy when it happens. His skating really concerns me but if nothing else his ability to get open for passes and the fact he goes straight for the slot if he's doing nothing else will buy him an NHL career.

His ceiling is interesting because his shot can be surprisingly accurate at times and if Raddysh works on his skating he should be able to score several goals off the rush or at least deal some good passes to his teammates. That'll easily add an extra 5 points to his yearly total and reach his goal potential at closer to 20.

The biggest reason I say top 6 or bust is because his defense is suspect, and we've already drafted a plethora of very good bottom 6 forwards. Hence the chuckle at the Killorn self assessment, he knows full well that he's underdeveloped in the defensive zone.

Now that I think about it I think NYR Callahan should be a comparable to Raddysh's ceiling minus the defense

Personally I think he resembles Mark Stone. He doesn't have Callahans motor, and despite Callahans propensity to attacking the net Raddysh is almost half a foot taller and heavier and plays more on the perimeter.

I agree on his floor, Raddysh definitely has a role in the NHL. I think Raddysh has two options to making it. Like you said, improve his defense, and then he can eventually be a Callahan type bottom 6 guy. If he improves his defense and his skating, he can become a Pacioretty or JVR type power forward, that is his ceiling. His speed is already above average, just not elite. We haven't had a guy like that since Modin. Even as just a big, complimentary winger, Malone was pretty successful in the role.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If and ONLY if he works on his skating so he can keep up with our guys. I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure right now Kucherov can skate faster backwards and Raddysh can forward. I'm not knocking the kid but if that doesn't change then he's not gonna top line anything here in Tampa. Luckily he has years and years to work on it.

I'd set a goal for him to match Callahan in skating. Is it the best skating you'll ever see? No it's not. But Ryan gets the job done and can HAUL ASS effectively when he needs to.

His skating vastly improved this season for Erie.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The biggest reason I say top 6 or bust is because his defense is suspect, and we've already drafted a plethora of very good bottom 6 forwards. Hence the chuckle at the Killorn self assessment, he knows full well that he's underdeveloped in the defensive zone.

Personally I think he resembles Mark Stone. He doesn't have Callahans motor, and despite Callahans propensity to attacking the net Raddysh is almost half a foot taller and heavier and plays more on the perimeter.

I agree on his floor, Raddysh definitely has a role in the NHL. I think Raddysh has two options to making it. Like you said, improve his defense, and then he can eventually be a Callahan type bottom 6 guy. If he improves his defense and his skating, he can become a Pacioretty or JVR type power forward, that is his ceiling. His speed is already above average, just not elite. We haven't had a guy like that since Modin. Even as just a big, complimentary winger, Malone was pretty successful in the role.

Well I can't claim I saw Raddysh's self assessment or mentioned his defensive ability but Mark Stone is another good comparable. Either way I was absolutely thrilled when we drafted Raddysh because he's not only got the tools but he's got the box as well. Dreaming of Modin and Pacioretty I felt was pushing it but I can't say it's impossible. But like I said, I purposely underrate prospect potential that way I can have a bare expectation of the player's floor and know at the LEAST of what I'm getting.

It's seldom you find yourself a Kucherov and you know full and well from game tape in the QMJHL President Cup playoffs that he's going to be a 40 goal, 80 point player at the NHL level and is already better than AHL level competition. There was a thread where NYR fans argued Anthony Duclair was better than Kucherov and laughed when I said he was gonna score 40 goals. Ohhh man now THAT was good times.

I'm excited to see how the Raddysh brothers are going to do in the Memorial Cup. Taylor had a very disappointing OHL Finals but redeemed himself with that beautiful goal scorer's hat-trick. Darren on the other hand was conducting like a maestro at times and really impressed me with his poise handling the puck at the point.

If I had to guess I'd say Taylor is gonna score at least twice in the tourney with at least 5 or 6 points assisting mostly on Alex DeBrincat goals. and Darren assists on 4 goals, 2 at even strength, 2 on the power play.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well I can't claim I saw Raddysh's self assessment or mentioned his defensive ability but Mark Stone is another good comparable. Either way I was absolutely thrilled when we drafted Raddysh because he's not only got the tools but he's got the box as well. Dreaming of Modin and Pacioretty I felt was pushing it but I can't say it's impossible. But like I said, I purposely underrate prospect potential that way I can have a bare expectation of the player's floor and know at the LEAST of what I'm getting.

It's seldom you find yourself a Kucherov and you know full and well from game tape in the QMJHL President Cup playoffs that he's going to be a 40 goal, 80 point player at the NHL level and is already better than AHL level competition. There was a thread where NYR fans argued Anthony Duclair was better than Kucherov and laughed when I said he was gonna score 40 goals. Ohhh man now THAT was good times.

I'm excited to see how the Raddysh brothers are going to do in the Memorial Cup. Taylor had a very disappointing OHL Finals but redeemed himself with that beautiful goal scorer's hat-trick. Darren on the other hand was conducting like a maestro at times and really impressed me with his poise handling the puck at the point.

If I had to guess I'd say Taylor is gonna score at least twice in the tourney with at least 5 or 6 points assisting mostly on Alex DeBrincat goals. and Darren assists on 4 goals, 2 at even strength, 2 on the power play.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/...raddysh-with-no-58-pick-at-nhl-draft/c-887316

Raddysh said he can be “a skilled, strong forward†who compares his game to current Lightning winger Alex Killorn.

“He’s a big, strong guy, skilled offensively,†Raddysh said of Killorn. “And he shows up in big games.â€

He's a smart kid :laugh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I figured it's about time the kid got his own thread. I'm watching the replay of the Memorial Cup game and he looked really good. I'm really excited to follow his career.

Anyhow... discuss!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I kind of figuring his signing thread was his thread, but yes it's exciting to think about his potential.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ahh good everything's wrapped up into a thread. Perfect. Reason I made one was because there was a lot of talk about Darren. While for good reason, it's all merely speculation unless we can sign big brother to a contract.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Raddysh reminds me of a mixture between Phanuef and Chychrun. Good mobility on the backend.

His brother Darren is pretty good too, a Colten Scissons type

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Raddysh reminds me of a mixture between Phanuef and Chychrun. Good mobility on the backend.

His brother Darren is pretty good too, a Colten Scissons type

You are a little confused. Darren is the defender, Taylor is a forward.

Darren is nothing like Phanuef or Chychrun. Those are defenders defined by their physicality. Darren can provide the odd nice hit, but he's anything but an intimidating physical specimen.

Sissons isn't a terrible comparison to Taylor in terms of play style, but is no where near as talented or as athletic. He's a role player, Raddysh should be a complimentary power forward.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You are a little confused. Darren is the defender, Taylor is a forward.

Darren is nothing like Phanuef or Chychrun. Those are defenders defined by their physicality. Darren can provide the odd nice hit, but he's anything but an intimidating physical specimen.

Sissons isn't a terrible comparison to Taylor in terms of play style, but is no where near as talented or as athletic. He's a role player, Raddysh should be a complimentary power forward.

Crabby'd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->