Speculation: 2016-2017 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Dauphin is the French word for "dolphin."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipper_(1996_film)

Over the next couple weeks, Tinordi serves the rest of his suspension, Stone gets healthy and Connauton gets healthy.

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Connauton - Schenn
Tinordi

Chychrun back to Sarnia and McBain to Tucson. It actually works out well if Stone and Connauton get back within the first 10 games.

What about Z? That's an interesting storyline.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I predict Crouse is sent back after 9. Chychrun may be more up in the air depending on how he looks. In all honesty for both of them it may be to let them see the speed of the NHL so they know better of what to focus on once they go back to the OHL. I wouldn't think much of this until the 9 game limit is nearing its end.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't have a problem with 9 game looks for anybody that looks close to being ready. I am a bit concerned about burning a year of a contract and missing the chance to be go to guys in junior for both Chychrun and Crouse.
Same with Fischer and the A. I'd rather not burn a year if he's not ready.

I'm fine with the idea of nine games as a measuring stick and atta boy for young guys.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I don't have a problem with 9 game looks for anybody that looks close to being ready. I am a bit concerned about burning a year of a contract and missing the chance to be go to guys in junior for both Chychrun and Crouse.
Same with Fischer and the A. I'd rather not burn a year if he's not ready.

I'm fine with the idea of nine games as a measuring stick and atta boy for young guys.

The pens just won a cup with a slew of young guys id never heard of + a few superstars. We can't let edmondons failures influence our player evaluations in fear that well ruin them.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
What about Z? That's an interesting storyline.
I forgot about him when making that post, but I think you nailed it with your Zbynek "Scott-Style Flexibility" Michalek prediction. Quite plausible he was signed by DM and so GMJK doesn't care for him, and regardless of what JK thinks, it's clear Z is near the end of the line and so he doesn't represent the future. You buy out Vermette because it's clear that Strome and Dvorak and MacInnis are the future. You keep Michalek because it's a lot less clear who among Dahlbeck, Tinordi, Schenn, McBain and Connauton are worthwhile, so you keep one more veteran around one more year.

Re: Chris Fischer ... very unlikely that Tucson's playoff run goes longer than Windsor's. There probably won't be any AHL games for him to play after he's done winning the Memorial Cup.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
What's the risk of sending Chychrun down? Teenagers on NHL rosters should be extraordinarily rare.

Chychrun? I guess nine games is fine. But rushing him to full time duty will ruin him. You don't take a kid drafted in the teens as a D, rush him to the NHL months later, and end up happy with that decision. Please, someone find me a single example of this working in the last ten years.

Chychrun has proven to me that he should have been taken earlier in the draft. His hockey sense is fine. At most, his offense could use some work before coming to the NHL.

I'd like to put Chychrun in the mix with Seth Jones(4OV) and Noah Hanifin(5OV) at this point, where, for the record, he was supposed to go a year prior to the draft.

Both played their draft year and have been pretty solid so far and are still getting better.

It's not like we'd be giving him top pairing minutes. I think he'll be playing more than the 9 games this year, Tippet seems extremely happy with his performance. Then again, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Could also compare him to where Provorov(7OV) was taken. He may have been able to start last year but sending him down for another year didn't hurt. Provorov is starting this year though and 1 year is the most I see Chychrun being sent back down for if it happens.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The pens just won a cup with a slew of young guys id never heard of + a few superstars. We can't let edmondons failures influence our player evaluations in fear that well ruin them.

Can we let Arizona's failures influence us then?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
A 9-game look is very different from a full season. I think it's too early for Crouse or Chychrun (or Strome, if I'm being honest) to play a full season in the NHL. A 9-game look won't ruin them, though. It's too early to fret.

Chychrun won't survive the return of three NHL caliber defensemen to the lineup, especially with DeAngelo pushing for time, too. Nine games in, I suspect someone from the AHL will be ready to swoop in for Crouse, too. Or perhaps a trade shakes things up now that the Coyotes have all that LTIR space to work with. Bragging about having so many promising rookies in the lineup without any need to jettison anyone could just be posturing to get full value out of whomever they intend to trade.

Something no one seems to be talking about—and something Chayka has mentioned a few times this summer—is culture. I wonder to what extent that's playing a role here, in both directions.

On one hand, this seems likely to be Doan's final year. I expect him to stick with the organization in some capacity or another, but perhaps they want these young guys to maximize their exposure to him as a player. Crouse especially has a lot to gain from paying very close attention to how Shane Doan was able to have such a long career.

On the other hand, young players bring an energy to the team. Youthful exuberance is a little infectious. They also prevent veterans from getting complacent if only so they don't lose their minutes. Those same vets can also establish a culture of mentorship, which will be crucially important moving forward. For example, Domi and Duclair have some vets to thank for how well they played last year, and I hope they will pay it forward and be integral to bringing the next crop of rookies on board. Next year, Dvorak and Strome can help Keller and MacInnis assimilate.

Chayka seems to be taking the long view overall (thus the hoarding of prospects and the phasing of those prospects' introduction to the league), and with how this franchise has struggled over the years, he is trying to turn a battleship around. There is more to fixing the team than just assembling a talented roster.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I would much rather have Chychrun take the Pietrangelo path to the NHL over the Luke Schenn path. Just because an 18 year-old defenseman looks like he can play at an NHL level doesn't mean he should. Let him play 9 or less and get a sense of what he can try to improve to be a more effective NHL player. There is still plenty for him to learn in the OHL, he's not in the same boat as Strome. The difference between Chychrun and KConn/Tinordi this year will not determine if we are contenders. I feel the same way about Crouse mostly.

Also, if not for their development, lets think about this in terms of cap/salary management. It looks Strome, Dvorak, Perlini, Wood, MacInnis, Garland, Fischer (maybe) and Hill will all become RFAs in 2019. Obviously not all of those players are going to make it to the NHL, but ideally Strome and Dvorak will be our top two centers and one of those players might play a role with the Coyotes. 2019 is far away, but it looks like it will be a rough off-season. OEL will become a UFA which is scary. Mike Smith will also become a UFA which means if there isn't an internal solution, we'll need to find a #1 goalie and pay him. That goalie can't just be band-aid either, because hopefully by 2019 this team is contending. Chychrun and Crouse still being on ELCs will be very convenient.

If the 9 or less is the plan for both, I'll be very encouraged that we are finally taking advantage of letting rookies get experience without fully committing. It befuddled me that the organization kept referencing how Duclair's time in New York was so beneficial towards him being NHL ready last season, but never chose to do the same with our prospects.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Re: Chris Fischer ... very unlikely that Tucson's playoff run goes longer than Windsor's. There probably won't be any AHL games for him to play after he's done winning the Memorial Cup.

He was assigned to the AHL. No Windsor this year.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The 19yo set isn't very interesting to me. Did burns ply D or F? The other three are top five picks. Chychrun playing this season and playing well, and this turning out to be a great decision would be unprecedented.

You could easily make the case Chychrun was a top 5 caliber D though. Prior to that awful tournament, consensus was that he was the top dman. While all the dmen ctwin listed aren't all star level dmen, it's still a lot of quality dmen who played as teenagers. I'd still prefer they send him down too, but I don't think it's quite as rare or bad of an idea as you're making it out to be.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can we let Arizona's failures influence us then?

There were reasons for the failure that were beyond our control and you know very well what they were. Time to look ahead, not in the mirror.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A 9-game look is very different from a full season. I think it's too early for Crouse or Chychrun (or Strome, if I'm being honest) to play a full season in the NHL. A 9-game look won't ruin them, though. It's too early to fret.

Chychrun won't survive the return of three NHL caliber defensemen to the lineup, especially with DeAngelo pushing for time, too. Nine games in, I suspect someone from the AHL will be ready to swoop in for Crouse, too. Or perhaps a trade shakes things up now that the Coyotes have all that LTIR space to work with. Bragging about having so many promising rookies in the lineup without any need to jettison anyone could just be posturing to get full value out of whomever they intend to trade.

Something no one seems to be talking about—and something Chayka has mentioned a few times this summer—is culture. I wonder to what extent that's playing a role here, in both directions.

On one hand, this seems likely to be Doan's final year. I expect him to stick with the organization in some capacity or another, but perhaps they want these young guys to maximize their exposure to him as a player. Crouse especially has a lot to gain from paying very close attention to how Shane Doan was able to have such a long career.

On the other hand, young players bring an energy to the team. Youthful exuberance is a little infectious. They also prevent veterans from getting complacent if only so they don't lose their minutes. Those same vets can also establish a culture of mentorship, which will be crucially important moving forward. For example, Domi and Duclair have some vets to thank for how well they played last year, and I hope they will pay it forward and be integral to bringing the next crop of rookies on board. Next year, Dvorak and Strome can help Keller and MacInnis assimilate.

Chayka seems to be taking the long view overall (thus the hoarding of prospects and the phasing of those prospects' introduction to the league), and with how this franchise has struggled over the years, he is trying to turn a battleship around. There is more to fixing the team than just assembling a talented roster.

Chychrun is a LD and only has KConn challenging for a job. Agree with everything else. Good post.

rt

May 13, 2004
You could easily make the case Chychrun was a top 5 caliber D though. Prior to that awful tournament, consensus was that he was the top dman. While all the dmen ctwin listed aren't all star level dmen, it's still a lot of quality dmen who played as teenagers. I'd still prefer they send him down too, but I don't think it's quite as rare or bad of an idea as you're making it out to be.

I'm not advocating he spend another two years outside the NHL. Just one year. Like most of the kids on that list.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not advocating he spend another two years outside the NHL. Just one year. Like most of the kids on that list.

It's not like we will be contending this year, so I see no harm sending Crouse and Chychrun back to junior. With Strome, I see no benefit for him if they send him back. Sending Fischer to the A was also the best for him.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's not like we will be contending this year, so I see no harm sending Crouse and Chychrun back to junior. With Strome, I see no benefit for him if they send him back. Sending Fischer to the A was also the best for him.

I'll agree on the first three. I'm ambivalent on Fischer.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We have too many top prospects in the same generation to only bring up 2 at a time. If we can't, or won't trade for established players some of our talent will be called up earlier than expected.

Crouse's inclusion on the team surprised me. Perhaps the expectation is that he will top out as a bottom 6 forward and a further year in the A wouldn't change that. Chickenrun didn't surprise me. He played positionally sound hockey every time I watched him. The tape should determine if he gets more than 9 games.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I only see Tinordi as a depth D. He may never make it as a regular NHL player. It would be nice to see him make that jump but I have my doubts.

I thought Tinordi was very good in his bottom-pairing role least year. Clearly a step above Connauton and Dahlbeck in my eyes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tinordi is a lefty as well.

He's 24 with 53 NHL games to his name. He'll be waived the moment he comes off suspension.

I thought Tinordi was very good in his bottom-pairing role least year. Clearly a step above Connauton and Dahlbeck in my eyes.

Do your eyes only see the defensive zone? ;) Tinordi is a less reliable Dahlbeck, and his fighting has left him, so he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad