Line Combos: 2016-2017 Part III

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I really like the possibilities and improvements that Danault can maybe bring to the 3rd line. We improve on size, and will have a faster, harder forecheck. Better 2 way play. He's shown he can chip in enough to be an offensively competent 3rd liner. But most importantly, Pacioretty - Danault - Shaw will not need to be sheltered. This should lead to more consistent Even Strength minutes for Galchenyuk's line.

Hopefully Danault can be consistant enough to hold onto the role.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Desharnais is not producing except, sometimes, with Patches. I can see Desharnais being traded for a draft pick this month.

Desharnais has negative value and simply cannot be traded. We're better off waiving him or just keeping him in the pressbox.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
DESHARNAIS SCRATCHED!!

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Andrighetto - Plekanec - Gallagher
Danault - Shaw - Carr
Byron - Mitchell - Byron

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ghetto - Chuck - Rads
Patch - Danault - Gally
Carr - Pleks - Shaw
Byron - Mitch - Flynn

A number of things should be tried.
First and foremost Andrew Shaw...
The best I've seen him play is when he was partnered with talent.
Toews and Hossa come to mind. I'd love to see him winning pucks for AG27 and Rads.
He would also be a deterent of sorts if opponents get aggressive with our stars.
This can be used as a temporary measure to get him going and also returns Byron to his normal role.
At the same time I'd make it clear to my wingers that a number one spot is available.
I'd then try Danault with Max and Ghetto as a second scoring option while leaving Plecks with Gallagher and Byron. Maybe their pace would help Plecky.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
A number of things should be tried.
First and foremost Andrew Shaw...
The best I've seen him play is when he was partnered with talent.
Toews and Hossa come to mind. I'd love to see him winning pucks for AG27 and Rads.
He would also be a deterent of sorts if opponents get aggressive with our stars.
This can be used as a temporary measure to get him going and also returns Byron to his normal role.
At the same time I'd make it clear to my wingers that a number one spot is available.
I'd then try Danault with Max and Ghetto as a second scoring option while leaving Plecks with Gallagher and Byron. Maybe their pace would help Plecky.

I wouldn't change anything with the top 2 lines at the moment but I also like the idea of trying Shaw with Radulov and Galchenyuk.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I think we've all been liking how the lineup is doing tonight, but I can't help but wonder just how sustainable a top 6 of:

Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Andrighetto-Plekanec-Gallagher

will be for an entire regular season. First of all, are we really relegating Pacioretty to the bottom 6? Will Byron continue to play above his pay grade? Is Andrighetto ready for that much of a role/ice time? I mean, the bottom 6 of:

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn

is playing pretty solid, and we have lots of suitable replacements in the event of inevitable games missed, but is it "heavy enough" for the post season?

It will be interesting to see how much of a glimpse we got of life without DD, because I'd like to see these lines (maybe with Lehkonen eventually inserted back in, of course) against a few different teams.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I think we've all been liking how the lineup is doing tonight, but I can't help but wonder just how sustainable a top 6 of:

Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Andrighetto-Plekanec-Gallagher

will be for an entire regular season. First of all, are we really relegating Pacioretty to the bottom 6? Will Byron continue to play above his pay grade? Is Andrighetto ready for that much of a role/ice time? I mean, the bottom 6 of:

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn

is playing pretty solid, and we have lots of suitable replacements in the event of inevitable games missed, but is it "heavy enough" for the post season?

It will be interesting to see how much of a glimpse we got of life without DD, because I'd like to see these lines (maybe with Lehkonen eventually inserted back in, of course) against a few different teams.

Not sure how you apply numbers to lines but if you go by ice-time:

Pacioretty - Danault - Shaw
Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Andrighetto - Plekanec - Gallagher
Carr - Mitchell - Flynn

I highly doubt these lines stay together long-term. But not having to shelter Desharnais gives us a lot more freedom doesn't it? When Lehkonen comes back, maybe...

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Carr - Danault - Shaw
Lehkonen - Mitchell - Andrighetto

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Byron Chucky Rads
Pacs Danault Gally
Carr Mitchell Shaw
Hudon Pleks Ghetto

Flynn is doing nothing, Hudon deserves a shot, Pleks looks lost and most importantly I have Gally in my pool and he needs more ice time!!

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Byron Chucky Rads
Pacs Danault Gally
Carr Mitchell Shaw
Hudon Pleks Ghetto

Flynn is doing nothing, Hudon deserves a shot, Pleks looks lost and most importantly I have Gally in my pool and he needs more ice time!!

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Healthy lineup:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Gallagher
Shaw-Danault-McCarron
Carr-Mitchell-Byron
Flynn

DD into oblivion.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
Pacioretty thrives when he plays with someone who can feed him the puck well. DD had his chance and failed. Radulov has shown he is the best passer on the team. Makes perfect sense to pair those two together. Not sure why Therrien is unable to see the writing on the wall.

Hudon/Andrighetto-Danault-Carr
Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
When Lehkonen heals up:

Byron-Danault-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn

Depending on how Lehkonen and Patches do, I think either can swap places.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'm surprised by the amount of posters who think that putting our three biggest forwards and two best goal scorers all on the same line is a good idea.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
My VERY ideal lineup

Lehkonen-galchenyuk-rad
PAC-plek-gally
Carr-danault-ghetto
Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

If ghetto does squat bye bye welcome Mccaron. I like Byron and all but ....or you switch ghetto and Shaw but we should focus on offence

And we should give quality icetime to ghetto so we can know if he is part of our team as mccaron is ready

As for Hudon another extra year in the ahl

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Some might disagree but that would be my lineup,

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Byron
Flynn

DD + Andrighetto = AHL

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Byron
Flynn

DD + Andrighetto = AHL

Wow I like it I forgot Hudon could be a fit but god skating wise that line idk . All 3 guys have awkward skating

Only switch pleky and danault and it's mine as well or we could just switch lehkonen and Hudon

Last edited:

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I think we found chemistry between

Galchenyuk-Radulov (skill and power)
Danault-Pacioretty (speed and finest)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
When Lehkonen comes back from his injury

Byron - Chucky - Radu
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Gallagher
Carr - Mitchell - Andrighetto

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Byron
Flynn

DD + Andrighetto = AHL

Agreed. I don't believe Byron's hot streak is going to last so once he cools down I'd give Hudon an extended look. Pacioretty might not be good enough to become a legit top liner who faces shutdown D so might have to continue as exploit line. Only time Shaw looked like a NHLer was with Danault so would keep that line together.

Rotate players through the lineup depending on play.

Lehkonen/Hudon/Byron/Carr - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lehkonen/Hudon/Byron/Carr - Plekanec - Gallagher
Lehkonen/Hudon - Mitchell - Carr/Byron

Bench: Desharnais/Flynn

Last edited:

bogolisk

Oct 4, 2008
Ottawa
Neither speed nor size would guarantee success in NHL especially in the playoffs. But it's very hard when you have neither. That's not that optimistic about Hudon.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
As much as it pains me, I think it's time to accept we are a top 6 bottom 6 team.

Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov -- Obviously

Pacioretty - Danault/Plekanec - Gallagher -- Plekanec doesn't look like a top 6 Center right now. Maybe force it and hope he snaps out of it, or give Danault a shot. Not that I think Danault is a season long option there. Definitely force feed Pacioretty unless he's hurt. Like it or not, we need him to start scoring.

Hudon - Plekanec/Danault - Shaw

Carr - Mitchell - Terry

Force feed the top 6 icetime, limit the bottom six. The fact that we are a 1 line team right now, and that line doesn't include both Pacioretty and Gallagher is mind blowing. Even if he doesn't deserve it, force Pacioretty into the top six. We need it now.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Uhhmmmm, 4 losses in the last 5 games. And we have played vs the average teams: Canes, Leafs, Sens and Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad