2016-2017 Kings Roster Talk Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, the Ducks got Rakell on a great deal. Going to be interesting to see what they give up in the expansion draft. They have to go 7-3-1 to protect Rakell. At least that's what it looks like now.

Even if Bieksa doesn't waive and isn't bought out, and the Ducks make no other moves, they'll probably protect Rakell. They'll probably figure it out how to trade one of their defenseman for a forward that they would then protect though, and get out from Bieksa's NMC one way or another. Like most teams, they'll do what they can to minimize their losses.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Is losing Forbort in the expansion draft a foregone conclusion? Or is there some breakdown that allows us to protect him?

I just don't see why Vegas would take Mcnabb over Forbort if both are available.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
4-4-1. Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Forbort, Quick.

7-3-1. Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Lewis, a forward we acquire by trading a defender, and a 7th forward, probably Shore. Then Doughty, Muzzin or Martinez, Forbort and Quick.

The first scenario leaves us in a stronger position on the blueline for any moves we wish to make following the expansion draft, but risks Lewis, which would sting.
The second scenario starts to address the forward core and protects Lewis, but it counts on the Kings grabbing at least one UFA addition to the blueline, if not 2. Which I'll believe when I see.

On that hf poster expansion selection thread I've seen McNabb go like 8 times, Lewis and Nolan a couple times, and Brown once.

I'd go 4-4-1 and then try to deal Muzzin or Martinez around the draft for forward help, and go hard for a guy like Alzner in free agency. Maybe even take a flyer on his rights before the draft if the price is super cheap, or contingent upon an extension. Not tremendously original but probably the safest plan.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Is losing Forbort in the expansion draft a foregone conclusion? Or is there some breakdown that allows us to protect him?

I just don't see why Vegas would take Mcnabb over Forbort if both are available.

More likely that Forbort is protected (in addition to Dewey, Muzzin and Martinez) and they lose Lewis, unlike Dowd and McNabb, Lewis comes with some control beyond 2017-18.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think Blake needs to explore the market for Carter. With his cap hit, production, playoff track record, and ability to play both wing and center he'd be extremely valuable to teams trying to contend.

Moving him and one of Amart/Muzzin would go a long ways towards refueling our pipeline.

For sure this makes us a pretty weak team for next season. You have to hope that in a few years some of the prospects we acquire from these moves are blossoming and you're able to resign Doughty.

With the cleared cap space, you go into the UFA market and try to get some short term value signings to fill out some roster spots. There were lots of UFA's that signed 1 or 2 year deals with low cap hits last off season that produced well. Those are the type of deals we would need to land.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
If you were Bieksa, on a team 6 wins away from the Stanley Cup, have a NMC in your contract that the Ducks offered you and you signed, you live in Newport Beach staring at the Pacific Ocean on your off days, give me one reason why you would waive it?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think Blake needs to explore the market for Carter. With his cap hit, production, playoff track record, and ability to play both wing and center he'd be extremely valuable to teams trying to contend.

Moving him and one of Amart/Muzzin would go a long ways towards refueling our pipeline.

For sure this makes us a pretty weak team for next season. You have to hope that in a few years some of the prospects we acquire from these moves are blossoming and you're able to resign Doughty.

With the cleared cap space, you go into the UFA market and try to get some short term value signings to fill out some roster spots. There were lots of UFA's that signed 1 or 2 year deals with low cap hits last off season that produced well. Those are the type of deals we would need to land.

Carts is part of a core that has a couple more kicks at the can. The only trade I want to see is a superfluous dman for a forward.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you were Bieksa, on a team 6 wins away from the Stanley Cup, have a NMC in your contract that the Ducks offered you and you signed, you live in Newport Beach staring at the Pacific Ocean on your off days, give me one reason why you would waive it?

Unless Vegas would actually take a 36 year old defenseman that doesn't want to be there, why wouldn't you waive it? The Ducks have to trade one of their defensemen one way or another anyway. Bieksa does the Ducks a favor for the draft, the Ducks give Vegas a pick of some kind to promise not to take Bieksa, and Bieksa stays where he wants to be, and gets all the money in his contract, and it's all basically a win-win-win situation.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Carts is part of a core that has a couple more kicks at the can. The only trade I want to see is a superfluous dman for a forward.

Flyers fan chiming in. He is one of my all time favorite flyers. His amazing skating with low key selke play make him absolute monster, but I'm afraid he is one of those guys who will always be underappreciated and will have more value on the ice than as a trade piece. For gods sake when he scored 46 goals people here still complained he was lazy and missed high and wide.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Carter was better than Kopitar last year. When firing on all cylinders that is one of the top 1-2 punches in the league. No way would I trade him.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I doubt Bieksa waives a NMC he just signed a year ago for a 2 year deal. Why risk being taken by Vegas when you are already on a contender in a nice spot? He's only got so many kicks at the can left. Maybe if they won the cup this year, but still unlikely.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I doubt Bieksa waives a NMC he just signed a year ago for a 2 year deal. Why risk being taken by Vegas when you are already on a contender in a nice spot? He's only got so many kicks at the can left. Maybe if they won the cup this year, but still unlikely.

I think he waives. No way Vegas selects him when the Ducks will have better options available.

I could see a scenario whereby he waives, the then Ducks send a pick to Vegas for not taking him. At the end of the day, all the sides come out satisfied.

Btw, how did a discussion about Bieksa end up in a Kings roster talk thread? :laugh:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Been saying this for awhile now. Easiest way to add to a depleted pipeline is moving him and Martinez since moving Gaborik is impossible and I want Brown to hang around and play at least 1000 games as a King.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If your goal is to sway Doughty away from sticking around, then a Carter trade makes sense.

If there's a team willing to part with a package of good young players, like the Kings receiving Sandstrom and Granato for Nicholls, it might make sense, but if the return is more likely to be what the likes of Jagr, Hossa, Kovalchuk, Pronger, Tkachuk, etc. were moved for, then it would be a huge waste and another step backwards.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Carter was better than Kopitar last year. When firing on all cylinders that is one of the top 1-2 punches in the league. No way would I trade him.

If you think that the Kings are going to contend for a SC next season, then I understand keeping him, but I don't think that's the case.

Carter has faded in each of the last two seasons down the stretch. I think his age may be playing a factor in that. If there's a great return we can get for him, then we need to get ahead of the curve and make that deal before it's too late.

I love Carter but it's the right thing to do. If we can't get a good enough return for him, then I'm fine keeping him, that's why I said "explore" the market.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Sell high.

Carter's value doubtfully will increase. If we could go back in time a year and trade Muzzin when he had the high point, I'm certain everyone here would advocate to getting the best return for him. Now it's not so good; that return.

Carter would go a long way for a good haul. Worth it given his age. He will be 33 midway through the season.

Might be a good season for a retool of sorts.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It depends on the return with Carts as Ziggy said.

I think LA can be a contender next year if they find some offense.

Their best players need to be at their best tho.

Hoping a new system will empower these guys.

I just think you will close some prime years of Doughty and Kopi by moving Carts now.

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Kings are not rebuilding so Carter isn't going anywhere.

Bieksa won't waive because he can't risk Vegas trading him off in another deal (perhaps by retaining salary on him). His agent is thinking his interests not the ducks. Even if he gets bought out he can sign elsewhere.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If you think that the Kings are going to contend for a SC next season, then I understand keeping him, but I don't think that's the case.

Carter has faded in each of the last two seasons down the stretch. I think his age may be playing a factor in that. If there's a great return we can get for him, then we need to get ahead of the curve and make that deal before it's too late.

I love Carter but it's the right thing to do. If we can't get a good enough return for him, then I'm fine keeping him, that's why I said "explore" the market.

Sad part is I could see the Kings either being locked out of the playoffs with two weeks to go or making a deep run. Who knows.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think he waives. No way Vegas selects him when the Ducks will have better options available.

I could see a scenario whereby he waives, the then Ducks send a pick to Vegas for not taking him. At the end of the day, all the sides come out satisfied.

Btw, how did a discussion about Bieksa end up in a Kings roster talk thread? :laugh:

He did pass us the puck a few times during key moments in 2012. It's like he's an honorary king!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It depends on the return with Carts as Ziggy said.

I think LA can be a contender next year if they find some offense.

Their best players need to be at their best tho.

Hoping a new system will empower these guys.

I just think you will close some prime years of Doughty and Kopi by moving Carts now.

I thought Pittsburgh was done, look at them now. Not exactly the same situation, but you just never know.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Boy I'm glad you're not the GM.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Kings are not rebuilding so Carter isn't going anywhere.

Bieksa won't waive because he can't risk Vegas trading him off in another deal (perhaps by retaining salary on him). His agent is thinking his interests not the ducks. Even if he gets bought out he can sign elsewhere.

Agreed, nowhere have Blake or Luc said the team is in rebuild mode. In fact they've said the opposite, that they'd like to make a big splash in free agency. New GM, new coach, let's blow it up and start over! This is a case of a fan believing something that has been made up in his head, the Kings are not re-building. A lot of the blame has been laid on the outgoing GM and coach, the feeling that Lombardi's Loyalty Program and the old coach throwing out Nick Shore as an extra attacker or Dwight King or Trevor Lewis as #1LW. Those days are dead. The question is who the hell is a big splash in free agency? It's gonna have to be like a Palffy type trade.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
They've identified Carter as the core. He was one of four who came in during the regime change. People imagining draft picks and shiny prospects once they trade Carter need to give their head a shake.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I fully expect Luc and Rob to spin the story about the Kings being contenders for as long as possible, so I don't see Carter being traded in the off season.

It's not going to be too much longer before it becomes evident the Kings are in fact the team we have watched over the last three seasons. Players make a system work, not the other way around.

The longer Blake waits to move Carter the more his trade value will drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad