Line Combos: 2016-2017 Detroit Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
He wasn't NHL centre ready. He played wing for that reason. It was a good move. However Zetterberg can no longer play centre. He can play short stints here and there. He was bad man, bad. Everyone was an offensive blackhole but he was the worst. He had the highest quality of wingers (Dats had Richards/Pulkkinen/Helm/Jurco). Points per 60, Datsyuk, Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin, and AA were much higher. He drained the offense slowing them down.

I know everyone took a step back, but I think a big part of that was the usage of Zetterberg and the lines (Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist, Datsyuk with those above). Z had Abby and Larkin. He had like 5 points more than Tatar and probably played over 4:30 minutes more per game.

It's time to move in a new direction. Develop Larkin. Top offensive guys should be Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin and Nielsen with some more AA.

Also I never said Larkin is our best centre. I said Frans is.

It's getting late and I'm getting sleepy eyed so must have read wrong.

well we are going to see Larkin as 2C and Z on the Wing regardless so should be interesting to watch.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I dont think Larkin was a NHL ready center last season so I dont see how he is automatically best center now. Could he? maybe. I have some doubts though as of now.

Z was an offensive blackhole just like pretty much everybody else last season. He still got the most points though so I think I'm being pretty fair in trusting Z to be the go to forward of this team. I think he will struggle slightly .. well not struggle but not able to get adjusted quickly to this new system. This is just not how Swedes plays hockey and in the preseason game I saw, he had moments of indecisiveness as to what to do and where to go with suddenly new found room to make plays.

The Red Wings are the most forgiving organization when it comes to vets, and yet all of the lineup projections tell us the organization sees him on the wing. What does that tell you?

Nielsen will be the 1C. He will see the toughest minutes and the most. He may or may not be the go-to forward, but he will be the go-to center on this team. Zetterberg may have twice the IQ Nielsen does, but he has half the body - a body that is best preserved by moving to the less demanding playmaking winger role.

For Larkin, it's trial by fire. Nielsen is a stop-gap, Sheahan is only a 2C if among an otherwise studded top 6, and Zetterberg has already given us a glimpse of his future. It would be unspeakably dumb to rely on Z as a center at the expense of Larkin. Using Z for key face-offs? Ok. Using Z at center when injuries occur? Fine. Using Z when stacking the lines for a major drive? Sure. But penciling Z in as a top 6 center amounts to denial and stagnation.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
What a waste of TV's skill sets imo. Minn did the same thing. Never paired him with equivalent skill (to be fair Minn used a defensive scheme and only had one or two other player that would fit the hands,,vision, hockey sense,skill set mold):laugh: The Islanders used him with skill and he helped drive record point production on that line that Taverse has not seen since his departure. Why spend the 2.6 to play him with children and a 19 pt center. (which, who knows may work/ would be willing to watch the test for a while) Pair him with skill that can carry the puck in, and let him put up his 20-30 g's and 40-60 pts then drop him for a first and a prospect at the deadline whether you are in the playoffs or not.

The Islanders used him with Nielsen remember. Wonder if we should do the same.

Z Nielsen Vanek instead

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That is true but while we are working on transition from Z to Lark, we also need to win games now. My preference is based on the fact that I am not too convinced of Larkin in the middle just yet and for other reasons I stated above. But that's just my opinion based on seeing them play for 1 preseason game.

Yemack I think the majority are referencing Red Wings news from the last 2 months. Holland and Blashill said they would give Larkin every opportunity to play C. We need him to be the man, there should be no turning back. Also the plan has been to play Nielsen with Z on wing, and Helm as the 3C. I'd be surprised to see if Athanasiou breaks up the 4th line- I thought the Wings stated they were also a sure thing? Anyways the rest of the forwards placement and D pairings is what most people have been speculating on.

I'm shaking my head because these arrangements might last 2 periods. :laugh:I know Blashill says he's learned and wants to build consistency, but I don't believe that guy can help himself! We will see many a strange shakeup to the lines, unfortunately including injuries.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 11m11 minutes ago

#RedWings on ice for practice. Zetterberg and Smith not skating. No word yet on why.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 10m10 minutes ago

#RedWings lines at practice:
Tatar-Nielsen-Athanasiou
Abdelkader-Larkin-Sheahan
Nyquist-Helm-Vanek
Ott-Glendening-Miller

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 5m5 minutes ago

#RedWings defense pairs in practice:
DeKeyser-Marchenko
Ouellet-Green
Ericsson-Sproul
Kronwall

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Have to assume Smith is being held out of practice because he is part of an imminent trade.

Maybe PK Subban coming our way?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Smith, already in the dog house again. I don't really mind those defensive pairings, given what we have to work with.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

#RedWings on ice for practice. Zetterberg and Smith not skating. No word yet on why.

Tatar-Nielsen-Athanasiou
Nyquist-Helm-Vanek
Ott-Glendening-Miller

DeKeyser-Marchenko
Ouellet-Green
Ericsson-Sproul
Kronwall

I remember a couple of years ago being so excited for the day that all of Sproul, XO and Marchenko were in the lineup,and I'm pretty surprised it finally happened... but in my imagination they were much better than they've turned out to be unfortunately.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Tatar-Nielsen-Athanasiou
Nyquist-Helm-Vanek
Ott-Glendening-Miller

DeKeyser-Marchenko
Ouellet-Green
Ericsson-Sproul
Kronwall

Good lord. That blueline. :cry:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm/tongue in cheek emoticon, there. That said, and not that I'd wish injury on anyone, I wouldn't mind him missing the first couple of games to really get Sproul some time before Kronwall gets back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Frankly, I don't know how we look at the defensive group and we're not more outraged or mad. I think it is pathetic.

I have a very hard time understanding how we let it get that bad. You're telling me that is the best we can do?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Frankly, I don't know how we look at the defensive group and we're not more outraged or mad. I think it is pathetic.

I have a very hard time understanding how we let it get that bad. You're telling me that is the best we can do?

We know who runs that lockerroom. Ericsson and Kronwall cannot play. Yet they'll be playing 18-20 minutes a night.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

Tatar-Nielsen-Athanasiou
Nyquist-Helm-Vanek
Ott-Glendening-Miller

DeKeyser-Marchenko
Ouellet-Green
Ericsson-Sproul
Kronwall

Kick E out for smith, roll with the young guns. Why not

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I think Dekeyser, Green, and Smith are a solid group and a bit underrated. It's obviously
missing a true #1, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad