Line Combos: 2016-2017 Detroit Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I actually like the Abby-Larkin-Sheahan line.. Larkin needs help defensively and when it comes to battling for pucks in corners, and those two are very good at it. Sheahan looked strong in pre-season and Larkin loves putting pucks on the net, where Abby will hopefully be to get some ugly goals. Think it has a lot of potential.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Poor Larkin. Looks like he's going to have quite the sophomore slump as his rebounds and passes turn into nothing. I also really wish Ericsson was just gone.

What passes? Larkin never passes the puck, he just shoots. Imo, smart to put him with two net-front players so he can shoot more often behind screens and guys can battle for rebounds.

This is nothin but smart. John Torchetti doing his job.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What passes? Larkin never passes the puck, he just shoots. Imo, smart to put him with two net-front players so he can shoot more often behind screens and guys can battle for rebounds.

This is nothin but smart. John Torchetti doing his job.
Also you have Nyquist on a line where he can be the main puck carrier, and the Nielsen/Tatar combo from WC. You could always switch Z and Sheahan, but I think this could be a way to really push Larkin into that role of 'owning' a line.

Forward group looks really good, especially with AA and Mantha ready to step in.

Defense however is a different story.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I like Mantha more, but keep AA. I'm fine with AA on line 4 and not so much with Mantha there. AA has the ability to be a fourth line player and still develop and make an impact. He can create himself, is fast, and doesn't rely on his teammates as much offensively.

Mantha goes and becomes the man in Grand Rapids unless Pulkkinen is there.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think he doesn't need one, because he shoots double amount of attempts per ice-time than any other forward.

Still like the idea of him having an off game or something, having Tatar skating the puck up. Those guys are all big though, and will likely work on cycling the puck down low.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think he doesn't need one, because he shoots double amount of attempts per ice-time than any other forward.
Yep, give Larkin the puck as much as possible. Let him carry the puck 90% of the time on that line. Abby and Sheahan can clean up rebounds, dig for pucks in the corners, defend Larkin from getting pushed around too much. It's the not the 100% skill type of line that this board usually wants but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up a really solid line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Lets assume that 1 of AA or Mantha will only be on the team to actually play and not sit in the press box. Whose the odd man out?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Lets assume that 1 of AA or Mantha will only be on the team to actually play and not sit in the press box. Whose the odd man out?

good question, they likely won't play on the 4th line which makes me think it would be for one of Sheahan or Vanek.

I'm actually happy with how the lines look which is surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad