Line Combos: 2016-2017 Detroit Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm curious how many like myself are concerned after watching Zetterberg last night. He looked so lost and out of place, especially on a top line. He was a spectator compared with Nielsen and Tatar. I wasn't even angry I felt so sad for him. Every single Red Wings prospect/regular has been buzzing with energy and speed the last weeks...except for Z.

Insane I'm pretty sure Z had the most minutes of anyone this game.

Am I reading too much into one game? Does Zetter just need a few games to get moving better? Is it possibe Z could be switched with Vanek if his play isn't going well?
Welcome to the land of the golden parachutes, where iron-clad contracts and country club loyalty rule the roost. With how they've twisted it into something both frustrating and boring, I can't wait for that stupid streak to end.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah but we got Steve Ott and Thomas Vanek.

Horrible GM is horrible.

We also chose:

Glendening-Miller-DeKeyser-Helm-Marchenko-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

Almost 1/2 of our lineup was signed this summer. Like the decisions or not this was a gigantic OS for the Wings.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We also chose:

Glendening-Miller-DeKeyser-Helm-Marchenko-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

Almost 1/2 of our lineup was signed this summer. Like the decisions or not this was a gigantic OS for the Wings.

We also got two good looking defensive prospects out of it. Time will tell.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I'm curious how many like myself are concerned after watching Zetterberg last night. He looked so lost and out of place, especially on a top line. He was a spectator compared with Nielsen and Tatar. I wasn't even angry I felt so sad for him. Every single Red Wings prospect/regular has been buzzing with energy and speed the last weeks...except for Z.

Am I reading too much into one game? Does Zetter just need a few games to get moving better? Is it possibe Z could be switched with Vanek if his play isn't going well?
It's preseason. Z was coasting.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I would assume the goal in giving him more ice time than anyone else is to help get him up game speed. This was Z's first game of the year after tweaking his knee. You are comparing him to guys who have played up to 8 games already. I would have been shocked if he didn't look out of place.

We should also keep in mind Z was never a burner anyway. His game was built around his IQ, puck possession and work ethic. Even if we assume he has lost a step, his skill set can be a nice compliment to the speed of Nielsen + Tatar/Nyquist. As a strong passer he can pick up the puck on the defensive half wall/point and hit Tatar/Nielsen flying into the neutral zone with speed.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Quick question: I took a flyer on Smith in my deep keeper league. It's either him or Campbell for a backup D. I saw Smith's point totals in pre-season but how has he looked? And will he actually get ice time with Kronwall out?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quick question: I took a flyer on Smith in my deep keeper league. It's either him or Campbell for a backup D. I saw Smith's point totals in pre-season but how has he looked? And will he actually get ice time with Kronwall out?

Yeah, it looks like projected to be the 2nd PP quarterback so far.

Lines from last game:

Zetterberg - Nielsen - Tatar
Abdelkader - Larkin - Pulkkinen
Vanek - Helm - Nyquist
AA - Sheahan - Mantha

(Miller - Glendening - Ott was scratched)
Jurco, injured

Smith - Green
DeKeyser - Ericsson
Ouellet - Marchenko

(Kronwall, Sproul)

Mrazek

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
As a whole I'm excited. Can't believe some have such a negative outlook on the season. With the exit of Quincey and Richards the Wings are stronger that's a fact, Nielsen is better than a wounded Datsyuk.

Larkin has world class speed and skills. His presence alone demands the team play a quicker transition game which we see happening. We look faaast! Even the meaningless game last night was entertaining to me. I'm seeing the quick offensive rushes that we wished for more of last season.

We may flop on our faces but I think the Wings are going to be fun to watch.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
As a whole I'm excited. Can't believe some have such a negative outlook on the season. With the exit of Quincey and Richards the Wings are stronger that's a fact, Nielsen is better than a wounded Datsyuk.

Larkin has world class speed and skills. His presence alone demands the team play a quicker transition game which we see happening. We look faaast! Even the meaningless game last night was entertaining to me. I'm seeing the quick offensive rushes that we wished for more of last season.

It's like not true at all..

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

Quincey was one of Detroit's best dmen last year, he wasn't the problem at all weighing down the defense. Datsyuk, even broken down, was a possession monster and one of the best forwards in the entire league even at his age. I'll give you Richards, but cmon.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Quincey was one of Detroit's best dmen last year, he wasn't the problem at all weighing down the defense.

I don't think that's true, but if it is true, it's a harsh reminder how truly terrible the state of the Wings blueline currently sits.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

Thanks for view from the front office.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think that's true, but if it is true, it's a harsh reminder how truly terrible the state of the Wings blueline currently sits.

At some point this ridiculous idea of Quincey being a good blueliner will have to die. We see a kid get plucked off of waivers and a rush of posts about how he's really not worth anything to us. Meanwhile, another guy sits on the market for a summer before taking a one year "please keep me out of my van by the river" contract and he's still supposed to be one of our better D.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I'm curious how many like myself are concerned after watching Zetterberg last night. He looked so lost and out of place, especially on a top line.

Is it possibe Z could be switched with Vanek if his play isn't going well?

Zetterberg was abysmally bad. Literally the worst player on the ice, Pulkinnen included. I can only hope the guy was taking it very easy in his first game back.

Should his poor play continue, I would expect Vanek to be the one to move up, or Pulkinnen/Mantha to be the ones inserted into top 6 if Vanek doesnt work out.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
At some point this ridiculous idea of Quincey being a good blueliner will have to die. We see a kid get plucked off of waivers and a rush of posts about how he's really not worth anything to us. Meanwhile, another guy sits on the market for a summer before taking a one year "please keep me out of my van by the river" contract and he's still supposed to be one of our better D.

He certainly wasn't good, but he was probably the most consistent one of the bunch, albeit a very middling level of consistency.

Although it's possible he looked better since he has garbage like Ericsson to make him look better.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zetterberg was abysmally bad. Literally the worst player on the ice, Pulkinnen included. I can only hope the guy was taking it very easy in his first game back.

Kind of an coincidence that injury returning players look bad on their first games.

Let's look what happens after 5-6 games. That usually tells a better story.

Even if Zetterberg was bad, he still was able to create at least one great scoring chance for a Larkin's PP goal. That's what superstars can do even at 20% condition. Some players can't do that even at 100% condition.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Larkin is gonna have to slow it down a bit or he'll be worn out by the all star break again

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He certainly wasn't good, but he was probably the most consistent one of the bunch, albeit a very middling level of consistency.

Although it's possible he looked better since he has garbage like Ericsson to make him look better.

I think it was part our expectations were low and part was Dekeyser carrying him. I don't think Q looked serviceable with any other D, while pretty much everyone looked better paired with Dekeyser.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
It is pre-season gentlemen. Not a good time to judge the teams competitiveness in their division or cancel your subscriptions.

Right now the team is no better or no worse than it was last year.

Last edited:

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Kind of an coincidence that injury returning players look bad on their first games.

Let's look what happens after 5-6 games. That usually tells a better story.

I agree which is why I left the clause in regarding I hope he gets up to speed. I notice that not a lot of sympathy is given to Pulkinnen given he only started skating two weeks ago after a major shoulder reconstruction.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I agree which is why I left the clause in regarding I hope he gets up to speed. I notice that not a lot of sympathy is given to Pulkinnen given he only started skating two weeks ago after a major shoulder reconstruction.

Because Zetterberg is proven and old. He doesn't have to prove anything out there. Pulkkinen needs to do everything he can to establish himself. Clear difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad