Line Combos: 2016-2017 Detroit Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Looks like AA and Mantha will be sent down, absolutely no room for either of them. Also with the Ott signing it looks like we'll be waiving Jurco or Pulkkinen.

Larkin - Z - Abdelkader
Nyquist - Nielsen - Vanek
Tatar - Sheahan - Helm
Ott - Glendening - Miller

God ****ing damn it. This is why I wish we didnt trade the Datsyuk contract.

Those lines look spot on too. Maybe rotate Tatar and Nyquist, but otherwise, dead on Blashill lines.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I pray they signed Helm to be the 3rd line center and are looking to package something like Sheahan + Tatar for a defenseman.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Zetterberg - Larkin - Vanek

Nyquist - Nielsen - Tatar

Helm - Sheahan - Abdelkader

Jurco - Glendening - Ott

Miller (only PK)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I have the feeling Larkin will be back on the wing. It's not what's best for him, but there's no room now. I think they'll keep Zetterberg at center.

I think Zetterberg should play wing and mentor Larkin how to play as a Centerman. Z has the brains to school the kid, but not those legs anymore.

Perfect combo for the present and the future. Zetterberg sucks as a center because of his skating, and let Larkin go end-to-end.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader
Helm-Nielsen-Vanek
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Glendening-Ott
Jurco, Pulkkinen

There has to be somekind of trade coming.

GRG atleast look like championship team.
Bertuzzi-Athanasiou-Mantha
Tangredi-Svechnikov-Lorito
Nosek-Holmstrom-Frk
Sadowy-Street-Callahan
Nastasiuk-Globke-Santos
Borkowski, Barre

DB0SS

Aug 26, 2012
Canada, eh?
There HAS to be a trade coming... way too many forwards. I'm basing this new updated lineup on the following trade, and assumption that Ott was signed to be a 13th forward.

Trade: Tatar + Ouellet + Jurco/ Pulkkinen (prospect not named Mantha or AA) for Fowler.

Abdelkader - Neilsen - Nyquist
Zetterberg - Larkin - Athanasiou
Vanek - Sheahan - Mantha
Helm - Glendening - Miller
Ott, Bertuzzi, Jurco/ Pulk

Fowler - Green
Dekeyser - Marchenko
Kronwall - Smith
Ericsson, Sproul, Russo

Mrazek, Howie

Probably not realistic, however this looks like the best combo to me.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The biggest takeaway I have from yesterday is it's clear they have no faith in Mantha. That's pretty sobering given how good he was as a prospect. If he can't make this roster with so little high end talent I think it's time to greatly reduce expectations for his NHL career. My guess is Vanek will take his spot as the big, goal scoring winger with questionable work ethic.

There was a point in 2013 when I wrote on this very board that guys like Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan and Jurco should have been on the roster. That was after these guys were instrumental in winning a Calder Cup. They had proven themselves. None of the next wave of guys we were counting on to become solid NHL'ers - Sproul, Ouellet, Mantha, Frk, Nastaskiak - are pushing for roster spots. It's clear they organization doesn't have much faith in Andreas Athanasiou given his ice time last year.

So when it comes to drafting and development it's Dylan Larkin and Alexey Marchenko not much else since the 2011 draft.

Z-Larkin-Abby
Nyquist-Neilsen-Vanek
Tatar-Sheahan-Helm
Ott-Glendening-Miller
Jurco
Pulkkinen

DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I will be extremely disappointed if either of Mantha or AA are not on the opening night roster. There has to be a trade coming. I also bet Pulkkinen's time as a Red Wing is over, and Jurco's could be as well.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
In my hypothetical I assume Tatar and Jurco are dealt for a dman.

Vanek-Neilsen-Nyquist
Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader
Pulkinnen-Sheahan-Helm/AA
Ott/Miller-Glendening-Helm/AA

ideally AA plays on the Pulk/Sheahan line. I can also see AA as the center on that line as he has shown he can win faceoffs and Sheahan seems like a Filpulla type that contributes more offensively from the wing. The D is tricky but if we could grab a Fowler type we could end up running something like

Dekeyser-Green
Fowler-Marchenko
Smith-Kronwall

in no particular order. To be honest, while there is no actual #1 I could see it being better than last year. The reality is Ericsson has regressed so far that he's no longer useful. His hip has clearly hindered him a ton. He being out of the lineup will be addition by subtraction. I also suspect that Marchenko may play a bigger role in the offense after his WC showing.

For my PP I'd roll with

Vanek-Z-Abby
Green-Larkin (Vanek in the high slot for tips, Abby in front of the net for screen)

Nyquist-Neilsen-Helm
Pulkinen-Fowler/Smith

not sure if that makes sense, but its what I'd do. Thats why I'm not the coach though.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Are we going for over aged veterans if so this looks like a good line up in 2011?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Larkin - Nielsen - Nyquist
Tatar-Zetterberg-Vanek
Abdelkader -Sheahan-Helm
AA/Miller-Glendening-Ott
AA/miller
Jurco
Mantha
Pulk (IR)

Kronwall-Green
DDK-Marchenko
Smith-Ericsson
XO, Sproul, whatever scrub du jour we have in GR

Pete
Jimmy

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Opening Night - no new deals, no injuries:
Hank-Larkin-Abby
Vanek-Nielsen-Tatar
Helm-Sheahan-Nyquist
Miller-Glendening-AA
Ott, Jurco

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Drapes said Larkin and Nielsen are slated to be our top 2 centers this upcoming season

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Zetterberg - Larkin - Vanek

Nyquist - Nielsen - Tatar

Helm - Sheahan - Abdelkader

Jurco - Glendening - Ott

Miller (only PK)

That would be one of the slowest first lines in the league. Vanek and Zetterberg are both below average to average skates now days. I think you have to switch nyquist with Vanek and spread some speed/skating ability on the wings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Did he say which was 1C? It will be super interesting if it's Larkin. Sink or swim.
That would be great if the kid can handle it. I just hope Z is on his wing to help with draws, and the other wing has decent speed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would like to run Larkin-Nielsen-Helm-Glendening down the middle and put Sheahan on the wing somewhere in the top 9, and tell him to shoot like crazy.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I would like to run Larkin-Nielsen-Helm-Glendening down the middle and put Sheahan on the wing somewhere in the top 9, and tell him to shoot like crazy.

Tell him he needs 4 shots a game or benched lol. For such a great at writer he doesn't use it enough

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I was hoping for something more definitive. Everything I've read is very ambivalent on the issue.

There's this too

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...-nhl-free-agency-pavel-datsyuk-void/86645370/

With Zetterberg in his mid-30s, he ideally moves to wing, and Larkin, with a year of NHL experience under his belt, becomes the team’s No. 1 center. Nielsen will alleviate Larkin’s growing pains because Nielsen is an excellent and dependable No. 2 center who also can play on a top line (as he did with John Tavares and Kyle Okposo during the New York Islanders’ playoff run).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad