Prospect Info: 2016 1st round - 11th overall - Logan Brown (C, Windsor Spitfires)

NNYSens

Aug 28, 2014
Did anyone notice the shirt PD and the other Sens employee were wearing in the picture with Logan Brown signing the contract? First time I've ever seen the "O" logo instead of the centurion. I'm gonna go ahead and read too much into this and say new jerseys are on the way!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That site shows his AHL contract as $70K next season. Is he even able to play there or must he return to junior unless he makes the Sens?

He turned 18 this past March; He won't eligible to play in the AHL until the 2018-19 season from what I understand..

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be completely honest, when I read posts and don't see it I don't think it's sarcasm.

I'm just starting to get to know everyone on the Sens board, so unfortunately it's not obvious to everyone.

But like I said, my apologies. I'm sure I looked like an ass to others. One day I'll be able to read the obvious!

That's what I thought. And then I got married! :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He turned 18 this past March; He won't eligible to play in the AHL until the 2018-19 season from what I understand..

He can play AHL games in any season in which his Junior team's season is over.

ie: if Windsor doesn't make the playoffs, or has a 1st round exit, and Binghamton's season is still going at that point, he can play the remainder of that season (and playoffs) for Bingo.

I mean... it's not going to happen, because Windsor is good (and Binghamton isn't), but in the unlikely event that everything goes wrong in Windsor this year and their season is over before Binghamton's is, then Brown would get paid his pro-rated AHL salary for whatever small handful of games he would play in that league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

ie: if Windsor doesn't make the playoffs, or has a 1st round exit, and Binghamton's season is still going at that point, he can play the remainder of that season (and playoffs) for Bingo.

I mean... it's not going to happen, because Windsor is good (and Binghamton isn't), but in the unlikely event that everything goes wrong in Windsor this year and their season is over before Binghamton's is, then Brown would get paid his pro-rated AHL salary for whatever small handful of games he would play in that league.

Windsor are hosting the Mem Cup this year, he won't be able to play regardless this year.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I wouldn't mind that kind of money for one year, but it's the term that really gets to me.

That's really gonna tie our hands in a couple of years.
...... You're thinking that maybe another Kelly will become available and they won't have the $900K to sign him

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Did anyone notice the shirt PD and the other Sens employee were wearing in the picture with Logan Brown signing the contract? First time I've ever seen the "O" logo instead of the centurion. I'm gonna go ahead and read too much into this and say new jerseys are on the way!

Good eye!

Let's hope that's what it hints at.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

NHL playoff games are effectively unpaid in salary pro-rating, aren't they? Is that true of AHL too? (Or maybe both are b.s.)

N.B. I should be trying to earn my own money this afternoon, not counting a future millionaire's money.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
NHL playoff games are effectively unpaid in salary pro-rating, aren't they? Is that true of AHL too? (Or maybe both are b.s.)

N.B. I should be trying to earn my own money this afternoon, not counting a future millionaire's money.

Yeah, playoff games are unpaid IIRC, but sometimes when OHL teams are bad enough, their season ends early enough that top-tier prospects can play the last 5-6 regular season games on the AHL schedule, before the AHL playoffs start.

Those regular season games are paid.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any point projections in prime for Brown? Is better he or Kunin?

For this season?

100 points is reachable in Windsor.

NHL we're "hoping" for a 1st line C.

65+ point center in his prime would be great.

We, and the Sens, obviously feel Brown is better. Otherwise we wouldn't have traded up for Brown and just taken Kunin.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ah, right, forgot about that.

In theory though, having an AHL salary for 18/19 year old players makes sense. Like, in general.

The Junior teams, which are the development league, would suffer if their good players could go to the AHL at any age.

However, from another perspective, if you truly believe in freedom, then anyone should be able to do whatever they want whenever they want and not be subject to "other people's restrictions" on freedom. The NHL's rules on entry level and RFA contracts restrict freedom too. The only reason they get away with that is because of USA laws applicable to pro leagues and union rights.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Junior teams, which are the development league, would suffer if their good players could go to the AHL at any age.

However, from another perspective, if you truly believe in freedom, then anyone should be able to do whatever they want whenever they want and not be subject to "other people's restrictions" on freedom. The NHL's rules on entry level and RFA contracts restrict freedom too. The only reason they get away with that is because of USA laws applicable to pro leagues and union rights.

Using your logic there would be no:

Draft
UFA
Contracts
etc.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Contracts would exist. Draft would not as it gives exclusive rights and lessens competition for a player's services.

A contract (same as the CHL/NHL contract) would impose on the "freedoms" you speak of, of guys playing where they want.

It's a very foolish/naive way of thinking imo.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A contract (same as the CHL/NHL contract) would impose on the "freedoms" you speak of, of guys playing where they want.

It's a very foolish/naive way of thinking imo.

A contract is between two or more parties. No one is forced to sign it. Once signed both parties have to do what it says. But it would allow the player to negotiate the best deal with teams competing for his services. Just like in other businesses.

The link below contains some interesting historical information regarding sports leagues and freedom to sell one's services to teams.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Players_Association

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A contract is between two or more parties. No one is forced to sign it. Once signed both parties have to do what it says. But it would allow the player to negotiate the best deal with teams competing for his services. Just like in other businesses.

So, the exact same as the CHL contracts that they sign you mean? No one forces them to play in the CHL.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Logan Brown and Logan Couture have so many similarities. Slipped on draft day, team traded up to get them, didn't make their WJC teams despite their high ranking, both considered to have average speed which worried scouts and led to them slipping, their scouting reports are almost identical.

Brown is going to be a beauty. Just need to let him play.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That site shows his AHL contract as $70K next season. Is he even able to play there or must he return to junior unless he makes the Sens?

He will return to junior and his contract will remain 3 years in length.

I could see him getting an NHL game if he has a strong training camp, but there's almost no way they keep him up past 9 games.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Logan Brown and Logan Couture have so many similarities. Slipped on draft day, team traded up to get them, didn't make their WJC teams despite their high ranking, both considered to have average speed which worried scouts and led to them slipping, their scouting reports are almost identical.

Brown is going to be a beauty. Just need to let him play.

Where are you getting this from? Brown was never in consideration before he was drafted...neither was Couture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad