Prospect Info: 2016 1st round - 11th overall - Logan Brown (C, Windsor Spitfires)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't like to use that sarcasm guy all the time. Thought it was obvious enough. Joking about giving up on a player so quickly that's all(exaggerated). I like Brown and have nothing bad to say about him. Excited to see what he can do in Ottawa.

Considering how extreme some opinions on HF are about players, it's always best to use the :sarcasm: guy.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Considering how extreme some opinions on HF are about players, it's always best to use the :sarcasm: guy.

To be completely honest, when I read posts and don't see it I don't think it's sarcasm.

I'm just starting to get to know everyone on the Sens board, so unfortunately it's not obvious to everyone.

But like I said, my apologies. I'm sure I looked like an ass to others. One day I'll be able to read the obvious!

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
sarcasm shouldn't need a sarcasm indicator most of the time. picked up icelevel's sarcasm since it was obvious

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
sarcasm shouldn't need a sarcasm indicator most of the time. picked up icelevel's sarcasm since it was obvious

You're probably right when we're on the Sens board. Like I said, you get to know people and who has strong opinions and who cna be out to lunch sometimes when they post.

When others don't know everyone (like this case) it's less obvious. People post some pretty outrageous things that aren't sarcastic.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

At the same time, just about everyone on HF (even here on the Sens boards) do have 1 or 2 favorite players we'd go to the edge of the Earth and back to defend.

One persons sarcasm is another persons 'last stand' hill.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hey at least I said "This has to be sarcasm".

It's hard to tell on a forum lol. My apologies.

Oh no need to apologize. Definitely hard to tell sometimes in here. And really, I should use sarcasm less in general. Sort of a negative thing to fall on.
On Boeser...hes another guy I wanted us to take. Course I like white too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Boesner was the most impressive skater in the first 2 periods (tuned out for the 3rd). He looked NHL ready to me, and, call me crazy, but I could see him developing just a tick below Vlad Tarasenko.

His skating is nowhere near Taresenko level, and Taresenko is built like a brick ****house. I think Boeser is going to be a good scorer, but don't think Tarasenko is a realistic expectation (I know you said tick below)

His shot last game was very Hoffman like in it's release against the grain, which is a lethal weapon to have.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Even aside from really laying out Crouse the player that impressed me the most was Charlie McAvoy. BU is going to have a pretty wicked team this year.

For TC I liked Jost again ... He has skill, plays responsibly, he works and tries to make things happen.

Marner and Strome had some flashes but not nearly enough for us to rely on them to light it up.

Not a very impressive summer showcase for TC. Note: I am not writing them off.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Even aside from really laying out Crouse the player that impressed me the most was Charlie McAvoy. BU is going to have a pretty wicked team this year.

For TC I liked Jost again ... He has skill, plays responsibly, he works and tries to make things happen.

Marner and Strome had some flashes but not nearly enough for us to rely on them to light it up.

Not a very impressive summer showcase for TC. Note: I am not writing them off.

Agreed, I thought he was the most impressive guy on the ice. Very smart, effective at getting the puck up the ice, good skater. Bruins got a good D there, I like him more than Bean for sure (though he does have a year on Bean, and already played in a WJC)

Brown isn't in a scoring position for sure, he is on the 3rd-4th line without PP. Again, USNDTP may be a factor here, ever though Brown chose US over Canada (Canada never should have cut him from the U-18, though Brown is at fault there. He'd look great on the Canadian squad right now). He may get on the 2nd PP unit, but even then he may not be given that opportunity.

Boeser-Keller are guaranteed to be on the first unit, and it seems like guys like Greenway/Thompson/Roslovic/Kunin (all 97's) will be on the 1st-2nd PP. Bellows may get looks there as well.

Brown and Fischer (Both teammates), look like they may be the only CHL players up front. I don't think Debrinicat will be back, and don't think Yamamoto cracks it this year. (Not counting Tkachuk)

USHL/USNDTP/NCAA guys always get preference in this program.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
You're probably right when we're on the Sens board. Like I said, you get to know people and who has strong opinions and who cna be out to lunch sometimes when they post.

When others don't know everyone (like this case) it's less obvious. People post some pretty outrageous things that aren't sarcastic.
no doubt

funny goal by Brown. it went through so many players.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is a post from the International Tournaments USA team thread from a USA prospect follower.

Here's my projected team at the conclusion of the NJEC camp only using players from camp or those out with injury:

Forwards (x13):

Matthew Tkachuk - Colin White - Jack Roslovic
Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller - Tage Thompson
Jordan Greenway - Logan Brown - Brock Boeser
Erik Foley - Luke Kunin - Christian Fischer
Kailer Yamamoto

Defense (x7):

Caleb Jones - Charlie McAvoy
Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Chad Krys - Casey Fitzgerald
Jack Ahcan

Goalies (x3):

Tyler Parsons
Luke Opilka
Jake Oettinger

Notes:

• What a logjam up front. There's a good 16 or so forwards that deserve to be on the team, but it's a deep group. I'm already annoyed by the illogical whining come December because [insert player] isn't there.
  • Thompson and Greenway had the most successful camps in terms of making their cases for the team. I didn't think either guy had more than a decent shot at best heading into the camp, but both continue to make great strides in their games, especially their skating. They're starting to fill out and find that comfort level with their massive frames and it shows. Impressive displays of puck protection, board work, cycling, and net front presence from both of these guys all camp.
  • I don't think DeBrincat or Bracco did enough (at this point) to make the team. Both have the ability to play on this team and do well come tournament time, but they're one-dimensional players and there's better choices right now when their one-dimension isn't taking over shifts/games.
  • On defense, I think the staff will be really happy to know that they have three horses they can ride for a lot of minutes in McAvoy, Jones, and Lindgren. All three had really impressive camps, and McAvoy was a lot of fun to watch. It's still crazy to think McAvoy wasn't originally invited to the NTDP tryout camp. He only received his invite after Troy Henley dropped out because he was going to the OHL.
  • On the other hand, I'd imagine the staff is nervous about the final four defense spots. I have Fox, Krys, Fitzgerald, and Ahcan in those spots right now, although I don't think they'll end up as the final four -- they just had the best moments of the remaining d-men at camp. I can't imagine USAH would take 7 d-men that are all 6 feet or smaller. I think they want to take a bigger, pure shutdown guy (hence the long looks for Boka and Cecconi) that can play the PK and serve as a reliable partner on the 3rd pair for a smaller puck mover, but I don't think they've found the fit there yet. I would imagine a guy like Andrew Peeke would be an obvious target come December to tryout for that type of role.
  • Regardless of how the defense shakes out, unless Werenski is somehow available, the top 4 this year will likely player nearly all the minutes just like last year when the top four of Werenski, Belpedio, Carlo, and Borgen saw nearly all the ice time.
  • It's too early for nearly anyone to be out of the running, but it's probably not a good sign for Trent Frederic, Luke Martin, Jack Sadek, and Nick Boka that they sat out two of the last three games. I'd say that's especially the case for the d-men as Motzko stated they kept around more d-men than they expected to see what they could offer.
  • All in all, anything less than a medal should be a massive disappointment for this team. And if they can shore up another strong d-man option, they should be one of the gold medal favorites.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Tkachuk-White are going to just grind teams down.

Also if Brown gets a scorer like Boeser on his wing or Bellows on his other, theres some potential there for some goals. Greenway-Brown-Boeser also looks good.

Reminds me of a Greening-Spezza-Butler line in a strange way.

Got the puck retriever/ grinder in Greenway, the big centerman passer in Brown, and the pure offensive guy in Boeser. Could be an interesting one for sure.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yup, I'm not worried regardless. We have picked enough McLeods (Lazar, Noesen, Foligno, O'Brien, etc) and not enough guys with the potential to become legit 1st line players.

Brown and Dahlen were such refreshing picks from the top 2 rounds compared to our philosophy for the past 10+ years. Very excited.

Karlsson was a super risky pick. Pretty sure Zibanejad, Prince and Puempel were risky as well. And I am just talking about 1st and 2nd round picks. Chabot, Gagne and Chlapik could fit that bill as well, no?

Maybe the boom/bust factor was higher for Brown/Dahlen but that is hardly quantifiable.

But like I said, my apologies. I'm sure I looked like an ass to others. One day I'll be able to read the obvious!

Not at all. You just looked like a guy who didn't have a good sarcasm detector... And you are right it's about knowing the posters and what their opinion on things normally are. Even if it was obvious to many, you could have just thought that it was simply another "out of bounds" opinion.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I can't believe we paid that much money to a guy who hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

We could have at least signed Tuomo Ruutu, he got at least one goal last year. More than Logan "Literally the Worst" Brown has ever done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad