Prospect Info: 2016 1st round - 11th overall - Logan Brown (C, Windsor Spitfires)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Logan Brown and Logan Couture have so many similarities. Slipped on draft day, team traded up to get them, didn't make their WJC teams despite their high ranking, both considered to have average speed which worried scouts and led to them slipping, their scouting reports are almost identical.

Brown is going to be a beauty. Just need to let him play.

Can't believe you forgot the most obvious comparison :shakehead

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Wow...each assist a beauty too...the last one where he shields the puck and uses his long reach is something we will see a lot of in Ottawa too...

Any word on how much muscle/weight he gained? I know he actually lost weight to begin with while shedding some baby fat but I expect he must have packed on a fair bit of muscle this off season ?

yoplait

May 4, 2011
That was some really nice vision + passing, definitely exciting to see. Hopefully he has a really strong year.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know it is conventional wisdom that you bring these kids into an NHL camp to give them a taste of the pros, evaluate them, etc. etc., but in this case is it the right move? Brown is an established leader with his junior team, will likely play in the world juniors and we know for sure his team will be in the Memorial Cup. Do we risk overloading the kid by bringing him to an NHL camp for two weeks? I might be tempted to leave him alone and just let him keep doing his thing in Windsor.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I know it is conventional wisdom that you bring these kids into an NHL camp to give them a taste of the pros, evaluate them, etc. etc., but in this case is it the right move? Brown is an established leader with his junior team, will likely play in the world juniors and we know for sure his team will be in the Memorial Cup. Do we risk overloading the kid by bringing him to an NHL camp for two weeks? I might be tempted to leave him alone and just let him keep doing his thing in Windsor.

I think he will be traded to the 67s.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think he will be traded to the 67s.

Aren't the 67's sort of rebuilding this year?

Doesn't really make sense to go out and spend to the moon to get Draft+1 players this year, regardless of the coach-player relationship. I know we were sort of attached to the Bitten rumors, but that's more because the player specifically asked to be traded to Ottawa (close to home & french community) than it was the 67s legitimately shooting the moon for him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Two weeks is nothing it's pretty much camp where he gets to practice with nhl level players. The ultimate goal is to make the NHL so it is probably better if brown gets first hand experience on how he needs to develop and where he physically and mentally needs to get to make it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

This mostly depends on the personality of the player, something we can't really speculate about.

Management thought Chabot would respond positively to being verbally challenged this summer (likely because he had such a turnaround in his draft year reportedly after getting to talk with his coaching staff about his game) so they did and we will see if they are vindicated.

We have to have faith that management knows how to handle the players they drafted on this front: whatever happens I'm confident it's the right thing to do.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's never right to not invite your top prospects (Out of the CHL) to main camp, ever. Isn't even a question of if we are going to invite him or not. Dorian wouldn't think for a millisecond to leave him in Windsor during the training camp.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
He looks great in those highlight clips, if he can translate that into the NHL he'll be a great playmaker.

Can't see him getting that much time and space moving forward. He's going to have to learn to perform with limited room to work in.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's never right to not invite your top prospects (Out of the CHL) to main camp, ever. Isn't even a question of if we are going to invite him or not. Dorian wouldn't think for a millisecond to leave him in Windsor during the training camp.

Agreed. I think all top draft picks should be invited to the main camp to gain the experience of training and playing with the pros. It is a part of their development and gives them a realistic assessment of where they stand and what they need to do to get to the pro level.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You have to give your top horses some sugar. Going to the main NHL camp is a big accomplishment for these kids. Seeing the pros and working with them on the ice for a few weeks, developing bonds, and working with the trainers and other staff to see their progression....and get a bit of money (the massive per diem and all that they get) on the side, gives these kids that extra bit of status and confidence when heading back to their junior teams.

It's an important step in his development.

That said, you are correct - we don't want to overwhelm the kid or set the bar too high on his first camp. What the team has to do is, talk to him on day 1...tell him straight out, no matter what he does, he isn't playing in the NHL this year. Relax, go out there and have fun, learn as much as you can, and work on your game. Show us what you can do. No pressure. Make the camp a positive experience that is all about fine tuning, teaching, and being part of a professional team.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
What the team has to do is, talk to him on day 1...tell him straight out, no matter what he does, he isn't playing in the NHL this year. Relax, go out there and have fun, learn as much as you can, and work on your game. Show us what you can do. No pressure. Make the camp a positive experience that is all about fine tuning, teaching, and being part of a professional team.

Its not that simple. While realistically he doesnt have a chance at the squad, some people don't work like that.

I read an article on Gomez's retirement yesterday. It said he was laying on a couch reading a newspaper right before his first rookie year game. Scott Stevens came up to him and was like "aren't you nervous?" And Scott was like "about what?"

He said he never got nervous in his life. While some people get crazy nervous (like me) and it allows you to see what theyve really got.

They know the kid. Dangling the carrot saying that he could make the team even if its a lie could get him to go 110% and work his ass off. You just never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad