2016-17 Whipping Boy…fan edition

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Jori Lehtera, Patrik Berglund, Dmitri Jaskin(all big, slow, unproductive players who draw a lot of criticism. In the case of Lehtera and Jaskin it's deserved. Berglund is still a solid player on a good contract, so I have no issues with him).

Also Jake Allen if he doesn't at least come close to what Elliott has given us consistently over the past 4 years: .920 save percentage, around 2.20 GAA. If he's at 9.10 and 2.4 he's going to get roasted, deservedly so. He just signed a big deal, he needs to prove he's worth it.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Borowiecki but chances are he won't play as much this year.

Lazar, because he don't do nothing.

Ryan when he plays his dissapearing act in the 2nd half.

But hey atleast we got rid of Chiasson and Weirdcrotch.

CanadianDestroyer

Oct 3, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers: Fayne (a MacT signing paid too much for too long for too little in production) and Reinhart (Looks to be forever a injury D-Man call-up)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Neil and Boro.

Ryan with distant second.

Good thing is, Boro and Neil might not be in the lineup after 25 games... so if Ryan has a slow start, yikes it could get ugly.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
For Leafs, as others have mentioned it's Hunwick and Polak.

Honourable mentions are Bozak and Lupul (when healthy). I think it would likely still be Bozak if he didn't have Matthews, Nylander, Marner to start taking #1C pressure off him and Kadri.

Now that we have more skill challenging the centre position, I can't see Kadri becoming a whipping boy until he signs his UFA contract w/ the Leafs.

Well he signed a 6 year contract at the end of last season so he'll have to wait in the wings for a little while.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...gn-nazem-kadri-to-six-year-contract-extension

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fayne- athough undeserved
RNH- deserved half the time
Yak- Deserved but he is a cause for 1% of problems

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
the way Rene Bourque's played in the preseason I expect him to get a contract...and then be the whipping boy all year

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why martin? He goes from a fan favorite it NY to a whipping boy in toronto within a couple of months????

Because he isn't great at the general analytical metrics, and he got paid. Can't say I agree with him as a scapegoat though, there was some sentiments against him early but it mostly calmed down once people got to know him better.

Problem with the common simplistic analytics used around here is that most people look at stats that give you a generalized impression of the impact a player likely had. There are some fuzziness on the translation from macro to micro level, and especially with context and specific roles. Context has some issues as well, because it is too often limited to overall quality of other players on the ice and zone starts. I think the factor missing there is in the details. What kind of pace will the team and line play, how is the dynamic distribution of tasks between player and teammates, what are they asked to achieve on the ice among others.

What I'm getting at is that Martin is asked to be a shutdown guy, an energy guy and a puck retriever if played on a scoring line. In areas concerning his role, he excels. But people expect an analytics department to use what they know, so they think Dubas and minions will go look at a HERO chart to figure out if Martin is good. It's the downside of analytics growing popular, people take a small bite out of a big pie and think they ate the whole thing.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
With Bolland gone it is hard to say.

But maybe Yandle if he doesn't perform to his contract.

Bjugstad if he continues having injury issues.

Huberdeau, because he isn't scoring enough goals.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
:coyotes

Mike Smith, who will probably play like crap until December, get hurt, come back in March with us out of playoff contention, and then play lights out when it doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00