2016-17 Whipping Boy…fan edition

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Five-year Sieve Pavelec and Preseason Mark Stuart look to repeat as whipping boys 'round Jets way.

Though Penalty Box Brian Strait is falling down hard on their heels.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Definitely, as SS said, Bailey for the Isles.

However, Strome made some headway with him and could easily overtake the position if the years continue with inconsistency. Nelson might even make it there too.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Last year it was Chris Vandevelde but since he likely won't see much play time this year it will fall to AMac to take up the reigns.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
For Leafs, as others have mentioned it's Hunwick and Polak.

Honourable mentions are Bozak and Lupul (when healthy). I think it would likely still be Bozak if he didn't have Matthews, Nylander, Marner to start taking #1C pressure off him and Kadri.

Now that we have more skill challenging the centre position, I can't see Kadri becoming a whipping boy until he signs his UFA contract w/ the Leafs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Polak by far. He might reach scapegoating levels of Gardiner and Ranger, but actually deserve it. There's a chance he'll be organizational depth though. In that case, I think that we for once don't really have a universal scapegoat.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pominville on the Wild. Easily. Second place goes to whomever fans think is taking minutes away from Nino.

Depends on which Pominville shows up. If it's the second half/ playoff leading scorer Pominville, not so much.

If it's the first half Pominville, then ya.

Prosser has been treated like something you'd scrape off your shoe by many fans. Only fair, because he plays like something you'd scrape off your shoe.

I would think that Stewart has a short leash. He can do some really dumb/ lazy looking things, which will drive people crazy, but he can also provide some serious oomph and the odd bit of unlooked for skill which can excite fans in a good way. I suspect the first guy will show up, and this is his last stop in the NHL. We'll see.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Depends on which Pominville shows up. If it's the second half/ playoff leading scorer Pominville, not so much.

If it's the first half Pominville, then ya.

Prosser has been treated like something you'd scrape off your shoe by many fans. Only fair, because he plays like something you'd scrape off your shoe.

I would think that Stewart has a short leash. He can do some really dumb/ lazy looking things, which will drive people crazy, but he can also provide some serious oomph and the odd bit of unlooked for skill which can excite fans in a good way. I suspect the first guy will show up, and this is his last stop in the NHL. We'll see.

i think it's been well documented how streaky Pominville is, so he WILL be the whipping boy during his doldrums just as he has been in the years he actually produced well here. Don't kid yourself--we're just like most fanbases in a "what have you done for me in the last four games" sense and Pominville scores in clusters, disappears in clusters.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
:sharks
Boedker (guess)
Dillon (overpaid, dumb penalties)
Marleau (overpaid, declining)
Dell (guess)

maybe Nieto, Karlsson, Wingels, Tierney depending on performance

This season Boedker is a good candidate bc many ppl didn't like the signing. Nieto will be up there if he doesn't do better this season, as will Karlsson, Wingels, and Tierney. Whoever is the backup goalie (probably Dell) is a good candidate since many fans wanted Wilson to acquire a backup this summer.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Not Kane?
Off ice issues aside, we know what we're getting out of Kane. ~20 goals, strong possession player, a bit of a puck hog but doesn't make a ton of costly mistakes. If there's a "good" and "bad" category after any given game, Kane falls into the good more often than the bad... the bad's are the ones that take a beating. There are bigger fish to fry (or whip) on the ice.

Just my opinion anyways.

EDIT: The only reason I can think why Kane might draw Sabres fans ire, is the fact that he doesn't mesh well with Eichel... yet Bylsma keeps pairing them together. Which is bound to rub people the wrong way if it goes on too long.

Last edited:

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Desharnais for the Habs although I think if he was deployed properly by an actual NHL caliber coach he wouldn't be as hated by most hab fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00