GWT: 2016-17 UEFA Europa League knock out stage

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, tough for Lyon because of that second half.
But overall, Ajax deservedly through. Lyon was lucky to be in a position to push to overtime, but boy did Ajax survive those last minutes with difficulty.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Lyon would've been more competitive in the finals honestly.

I'm not sure. Ajax looked like they could give any team difficulty and Mourinho will never send as many men forward as Genesio had to. Bailly will be out too. So who knows?

Obviously their midfield isn't as good as United's and may get run over, though.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
As John Pedro noted, they can't close out a tie. They've also even had first legs they could have won by bigger margins.

I don't want Ajax with enough regularity, but I can't understand Traore' starting over Kluivert.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think Lyon would've been more competitive in the finals honestly.

Looks like United barely survived as well. Big difference in individual quality, but Ajax's pressing can give just about any team trouble, and United are rarely clinical enough to punish the mistakes that Ajax will make.

Neutral location should be interesting.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Looks like United barely survived as well. Big difference in individual quality, but Ajax's pressing can give just about any team trouble, and United are rarely clinical enough to punish mistakes.

Mou is 12-1 in Cup Finals. He finds ways and Utd way more talented.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
united just doesnt wanna make it easy on themselves for the final with bailly out.

now gotta hope smalling and jones can stay in one pc for the game in sweden

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Europa League has been a little disappointing this year, but the Ajax-Lyon tie certainly made up for it.

Guidetti missing that chance at the end denied the final I wanted. A top striker adjusts to that and finds a way to cushion it in.

I'd imagine that United will be too strong for a pretty naive Ajax team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mou is 12-1 in Cup Finals. He finds ways and Utd way more talented.

Yeah with legends. This team doesn't have any players like that. His teams have lost big games to other good teams before. I thought there was no way Ajax would advance past Schalke and Lyon so I would like to think they have a good plan.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wonder if Mourinho will play Mata in the Final if Mata is fully fit.

Probably has to. They created some good chances in Spain but only one good chance today and none on the weekend. Players are clearly getting fatigued and I think their team is getting a little too reliant on Rashford. He's a very top prospect but he can't do everything.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Probably has to. They created some good chances in Spain but only one good chance today and none on the weekend. Players are clearly getting fatigued and I think their team is getting a little too reliant on Rashford. He's a very top prospect but he can't do everything.

Well Mata has proven himself in big matches so I would think he would play him.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Yeah with legends. This team doesn't have any players like that. His teams have lost big games to other good teams before. I thought there was no way Ajax would advance past Schalke and Lyon so I would like to think they have a good plan.

He won a UCL with FC Porto, hardly a team loaded with talent. But I don't think his record means much. It's just one match, anything can happen. Ajax plays beautiful football, but are such a naive team that I'd not bet on them winning it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He won a UCL with FC Porto, hardly a team loaded with talent. But I don't think his record means much. It's just one match, anything can happen. Ajax plays beautiful football, but are such a naive team that I'd not bet on them winning it.
Yeah, I wouldn't pick them either. I do think they have a chance though if they don't approach the match too aggressively until the last 20 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad