GWT: 2016-17 UEFA Europa League knock out stage

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Jussi, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Ajacied

Ajacied Stay strong Appie! ❤

That was way too exciting for me. Ajax made it difficult on themselves by being very careless with their oppertunities. Younes especially was absolutely horrible. He needs to work on his left foot if he ever wants to develop into a better player. He's way too predictable now, making him easy to defend.

De Ligt was alright. He defended too carelessly on that penalty. I think it was a deserved one, altough Lacazette obviously was aiming for it.

Viergever and Veltman were the weakest links in the defense. Both were actually solid for most of the game, but they each made costly errors. Viergever's red card was a blessing in disguise, as Riedewald or Tete, who was amazing defensively during his short time on the pitch, will likely take his spot in the final.

Traore didn't have his best game, but he's been very important for Ajax. Does a lot of stuff which doesn't always show up on the statsheet. I'd have him above Kluivert in a game like this, though it didn't exactly go as planned.

Dolberg was alright. Quality goal. Market value just went up a million or two once more.

I think Ajax is the deserved winner, but their inexperience nearly did them in, twice. They bring back gutsy, attacking football in a rather dull and defensive league.

2. Alklha

Alklha Moderator

Watching Ajax play Lyon, or in the Eredivisie, isn't going to be representative of how they'll get to play against United. They won't get as much time or space, particularly in behind. As bad as United's defence may be, their organisation is far better than Lyon's.

Their main threat, Dolberg, isn't particularly quick either. Younes is easy to defend and will typically cut back/run himself into defenders, a quality team shouldn't really let him have a big game. Traoré is much more hit or miss, he can be difficult to play against if he is on.

I hope Ajax can surprise me in the final, but I don't really see it.

3. Moncherry

Moncherry Registered User

United haven't done anything to put themselves as favourites. Such a pedestrian team.

4. Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem Registered User

Stocks and Stuff
    Perfect way to describe them. Their stock as a team has fallen tremendously. They are nowhere near the absolute monster of a team they were a decade ago. If they can't convincingly beat middle-tier teams like Celta, I find it hard to believe they will have a easier time against a young Ajax team.

5. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    For what? Being double teamed by Bailly and Valencia (how badly was the barrel being scraped making him captain for the night)?

Delicious.

6. Theon

Theon No longer Reek

For someone who may can make a case for player of the season? Not very much I'd assume.

Bailly was clearly in the wrong. Absolutely the worst time to do something like this.

7. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Was there ever a good replay of what started that kerfuffle in the United game?

The broadcast only showed the bailly punch/push/whatever a couple times but never showed what started the entire thing.

8. Edo

Edo The Mightiest Club

Home Page:
    :laugh: @ Mourinho/United celebrating this.

9. sync95

sync95 Registered User

They had a 23-game (IIRC) unbeaten run in all competitions until their b-squad game against Arsenal.. their stock has risen greatly since the Moyes days. They are a few pieces away from being a top-4 mainstay (if that's still a thing.

10. Moncherry

Moncherry Registered User

That was the most unspectacular unbeaten run ever.

11. Edo

Edo The Mightiest Club

Home Page:
    Manchester United have lost 4 games in the EPL after 35 games, and are 6th. That is insane. How does a team only lose 4 games and sit that far away from 1st?

50 points in that 24 game unbeaten streak in the EPL. Just 8 more points than Arsenal in that same span. Liverpool 43 points. Chelsea 59 points. Tottenham 54 points. City 45 points. Everton 42 points.

12. Elliman

Elliman Registered User

Why wouldn't they? The club doesn't have much chance of qualifying directly by finishing in the top 4 via the league. This win brings them 90 or so minutes closer to Champions League football next season. A feat that will open the door to big money transfers for players that demand CL footie. I take it you don't like United nor Jose and you get your kicks off by putting them down any chance you can get. Well done.

13. maclean

maclean Registered User

Sad I missed the game, really enjoyed watching Lyon play in the earlier rounds

14. Elliman

Elliman Registered User

Lack of finishing. They played very one dimensional when Ibrah was healthy. As many goals as he scores, he missed quite a lot. I feel United play better with Rashford. Ibrah is a joy to watch though.

15. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

This Lyon is unfortunately not the one from earlier in the season. They're in tons of doubts and their D is even more shambles than before.
    This Lyon team dominated Juventus in their two games earlier this season and if not for super Buffon would have won twice.

This Lyon team from yesterday wouldn't beat Juve's reserves.

16. Elliman

Elliman Registered User

A far cry from the teams of the 2000's when they won 7 in a row! Some players they had. Essien, Juninho, Malouda, young Benzema and my favorite big John Carew.

17. Edo

Edo The Mightiest Club

Home Page:
    Because the Europa League is a joke. UEFA had to bring in a new caveat to get the teams from the top 5 leagues to start carry strong squads. And no, I do not like the football that Mourinho plays and that United has recently adopted. Nobody but United + Mourinho fans do.

Take a look at Zidane's approach yesterday and Mourinho's today. Both went into the 2nd leg with a lead. Zidane tried to extend it knowing that a single goal would force Atletico to score 5 to win it. Mourinho turtled.

18. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

I only saw the the Lyon home game in highlights (it was Dinamo Zagreb's group, so saw most matches), where it seemed a typical Juventus away 1-0 win.

That said, the away game for Lyon was about the best I've seen of any team handle themselves at Delle Alpi this season.
    Juve did go in front and they had a decent first half, but the second half Lyon absolutely dominated, Tolisso was massive, and Lacazette had a late chance to win the game for Lyon IIRC.

And yeah, not sure what happened in the meantime, but Lyon definitely looked better back then compared to their games vs Besiktas and Ajax (or big parts of the games).

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  19. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

There's a difference though.
    Mou played at home, where scoring one goal meant Celta still had to score 2 to advance; same as if ManU scored no goals (1 goals would only get Celta to ET).

Zidane played away, with a 3-0 home leg... And like you said, scoring one goal meant that Atletico had to score 5.

And also, no offense to ManU... But Real's squad sort of dwarfs ManU.
    "Real B" would probably knock ManU out, at least, they'd be the heavy favorites going into the tie.
    While very questionable in tactical discipline, Real makes up in fielding ridiculous amount of talent - something the current ManU squad simply doesn't have.

If anything, I think Mou's the right man for the job... He'll squeeze the maximum when it comes to results with his defensive football from a very flawed squaud, with limited talent.
    Now, if he gets Griezmann and Perisic and maybe another big signing in the summer... THEN it'll be interesting how ManU do next season.

I don't particularly like Mou, he makes his teams more about him than about the players, and has the personality of an entitled teenager - but the dude gets results (well, not always, but most of the time).

20. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Nah, Lyon had the better chance, including an unreal save by Buffon on Fékir. That loss was complete robbery.
    Same for the draw in the return leg.

21. Adonis Creed

Adonis Creed King of the East

Mourinho approach is a joke...but seeing United fail vs Ajax would be great!

22. oilers92

oilers92 Registered User

this thread is going to be such a joy next year if arsenal make it out the europa groups(which if sanchez leaves might even be to much for them)...so much crow will be eaten

23. Edo

Edo The Mightiest Club

Home Page:
    If my hypothetical son played in the Europa league, I still wouldn't watch it. That's what I think of the EL.

24. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Registered User

Go watch your boring and useless Arsenal then...Why would anyone watch anything beside LA LIGA the best league in the world anyway!

Some of the best games and drama in Europe this year has been in the Europa League. It's been like this since a long time especially in the early 00's when there was a string of spectacular finals : Liverpool-Alaves Feyenoord-Dortmund Porto-Celtic Cska-Sporting

Still can't believe the chance Celta Vigo created and missed on the last play of the game. Ajax-Lyon was a fantastic tie overall with two great sold out crowds and atmosphere, and lots of drama as well that's what EUROPEAN CUPS are about. Quality drama entertainment... I'm confident Ajax can win it all.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  25. Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus Yo, Goober, where's the meat?

Europa League gets way more **** than it deserves, I'll never forget Chelsea's win in Amsterdam.

That's more a reflection on you than it is on the Europa League, though.