Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think if we really looked at it, most Dmen only break into the league around Ceci's age. Is his lack of progress a bit concerning, sure. But he still has lots of time to figure it out. Just because other D go through these struggles in the AHL out of sight from most fans, doesn't mean they don't also have their struggles.

It's the experience + lack of progress.

he has legit NHL experience. Trains with the big boys every day. Plays against the best players in the world every second night.
I know people don't agree. But I think age has a lot less to do with things than experience. Not a small off he will be able to retain more hockey knowledge at 25 than he is now.

Regardless of age. He will be a NHL veteran next year.

Yes. Time is on his side. But it's honestly felt like he's progressed so little in the already ample time he's had.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The problem with Ceci is that he seems to be another all the tools and no toolbox guy. Cowen was that, now it's Ceci. I'm not holding my breath with Ceci. I hope he becomes a top 4 D, but it's not looking like it.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Ya its too bad Ceci hasn't become a two way physical beast who can pot 30+ points consistently... That would make him a top pairing dman... Too bad he's 22 and he hasn't done that yet despite his ample opportunity... Might as well start losing patience!

@GodSaysNo you wouldn't have to hold your breathe for long because he is already a top 4 dman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ya its too bad Ceci hasn't become a two way physical beast who can pot 30+ points consistently... That would make him a top pairing dman... Too bad he's 22 and he hasn't done that yet despite his ample opportunity... Might as well start losing patience!

@GodSaysNo you wouldn't have to hold your breathe for long because he is already a top 4 dman.

I think we all mean a "good" top 4 d man. Right now he's a guy who the other teams forward visibly pick on.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ted Purcell was at 1.6m and he wasn't claimed because we couldn't afford him.
Boedker is at 3.75m and for us to even be able to afford him SJS would need to take salary back. And I doubt that SJS has any interest in anything that we have to offer. Sadly, Boedker ain't happening bud. :shakehead:shakehead
Purcell wasn't claimed because dorion probably doesn't like him. Hammond represents 1.2, so that brings it down to 2.8, perfect imo.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
People are right to say Ceci struggles, but within the context of the league find me an NHL Dman playing the #4 slot who isn't running around his own zone for parts of the game. In relation to the rest of the NHL, Ceci is right where he should be.

It's not like I watch the Habs and think Emelin is in position all the time, Beaulieu is perfect is or Petry doesn't have games were he really struggles. Ceci isn't perfect, but show me a #4 Dman on an average NHL team that is as good or better? Some have them, most don't.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I kind of think it's perfect we have Hammond now, keep Dreiger and O'Connor in Bingo to let them play and we have Condon playing like a #1 here - when Andy is away Condon looks and acts like a #1.

Sucks for Hammie, but good for the stability of the goalie situation, and he's been good about it. Not perfect, but he's getting paid a million bucks to play hockey, so I'm sure he knows life is good.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People are right to say Ceci struggles, but within the context of the league find me an NHL Dman playing the #4 slot who isn't running around his own zone for parts of the game. In relation to the rest of the NHL, Ceci is right where he should be.

It's not like I watch the Habs and think Emelin is in position all the time, Beaulieu is perfect is or Petry doesn't have games were he really struggles. Ceci isn't perfect, but show me a #4 Dman on an average NHL team that is as good or better? Some have them, most don't.

Well first off. I disagree. I think there are quite a few second pairing d men better than ceci. I don't know what the number 4 slot is. You're second pairing you're second pairing.

Also. If what you say isn't true. We should be content with be the same as most of the league.

And I know you're example wasn't the b all end all. But give me petry over ceci 10/10 times.

I have real trouble watching ceci be this bad for this long and saying to myself "well. There are other really bad second pairing d men out there, I guess it's okay then".

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If ceci wasn't a first round pick I think some posters here would have a lot easier time saying "yeah. Ceci has been crap"

Don't forget Ceci's "localness". If he was from anywhere but the Ottawa area, I don't think he would have gotten a free pass for as long as he has.

The media has not said one negative thing about Ceci since he broke into the league. Only now have they started to "mention" Ceci's struggles, since most of the fanbase, blogisphere, etc are starting to wonder what happened to him. Local media has constantly blamed Weircoch and Cowen for his struggles. Now they have no scapegoat.

They need to trade him now while he still has some value before his value completely disappears like Cowen.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Don't forget Ceci's "localness". If he was from anywhere but the Ottawa area, I don't think he would have gotten a free pass for as long as he has.

The media has not said one negative thing about Ceci since he broke into the league. Only now have they started to "mention" Ceci's struggles, since most of the fanbase, blogisphere, etc are starting to wonder what happened to him. Local media has constantly blamed Weircoch and Cowen for his struggles. Now they have no scapegoat.

They need to trade him now while he still has some value before his value completely disappears like Cowen.

Here we go with the media BS. Ceci is constantly criticized by the TSN 1200 team. The game before San Jose, they spent a whole segment with the panel talking about how he has disappointed this season and whether he can take the next step. Todd White was especially critical saying with Methot out, if Ceci doesn't step up, they should look to upgrading him.

No one cares about his "localness". That hasn't been brought up at all since the initial advertising push with the cute picture of him and Fisher. The marketing department doesn't push the localness of the team at all. Otherwise, we'd get nothing but ads featuring Methot and Pageau.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
"Here we go again" with the "here we go again" with the "here we go again"!!!!!

Anyway. I want trouba.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well first off. I disagree. I think there are quite a few second pairing d men better than ceci. I don't know what the number 4 slot is. You're second pairing you're second pairing.

Also. If what you say isn't true. We should be content with be the same as most of the league.

And I know you're example wasn't the b all end all. But give me petry over ceci 10/10 times.

I have real trouble watching ceci be this bad for this long and saying to myself "well. There are other really bad second pairing d men out there, I guess it's okay then".

I'm with you when I think we need to upgrade the depth on D, but to think that the struggles of our young D prospects is only in Ottawa, Florida gave up on Kulikov and Gudbranson and look where they are. Where they perfect - no - but what is there to replace them?

Ceci isn't perfect, but if Adam Larsson got you Taylor Hall, I think we have to recognize that even having a decent top 4 D puts you ahead of about 20 other teams. Not even a solid top 4, just a decent one is so difficult to keep together these days. I think we need to recgnize that Ceci is still playing 23 minutes a night, probably about 3 minutes more then he should right now and that shows. he;s top 30 in the entire NHL in TOI - tons of value in Ceci, we need to recognize he is playing hard on one of the best defensive teams in the NHL - and he's a big part of it.

And the metrics crowd, is Patrick Weircoche a better D then Ceci? Not in my books, but PW is king in the metrics world, so I don't agree with every underlying number.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm with you when I think we need to upgrade the depth on D, but to think that the struggles of our young D prospects is only in Ottawa, Florida gave up on Kulikov and Gudbranson and look where they are. Where they perfect - no - but what is there to replace them?

Ceci isn't perfect, but if Adam Larsson got you Taylor Hall, I think we have to recognize that even having a decent top 4 D puts you ahead of about 20 other teams. Not even a solid top 4, just a decent one is so difficult to keep together these days. I think we need to recgnize that Ceci is still playing 23 minutes a night, probably about 3 minutes more then he should right now and that shows. he;s top 30 in the entire NHL in TOI - tons of value in Ceci, we need to recognize he is playing hard on one of the best defensive teams in the NHL - and he's a big part of it.

And the metrics crowd, is Patrick Weircoche a better D then Ceci? Not in my books, but PW is king in the metrics world, so I don't agree with every underlying number.

I think ceci this year is basically Patrick wiercioch. Gets killed in his own zone. Shows a flash. Goes back to getting killed.

Ceci still does have value I've never denied that. Which is why he should be traded.
gudbransen is still bad. Kulikov was always decent.

I'm not saying struggles are only here.

BUT how many d men (promising d men. Not just any d men on planet earth ) are still have a mountain of issues in their fourth NHL season that you can look at and go. You know what. He will still learn and become a great d man. (Great being very good top 4.)

4 years is STILL a long time to be getting killed out there.

Sorry had to clarify. Ceci of this year is wiercioch of last year.

The decision making in our own zone is made at such a snails pace.

At least cowen would just chop the puck out.

Ceci defends the rush a lot better than cowen did. But in term of in zone defence. They're simply not that far apart.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The problem with Ceci is that he seems to be another all the tools and no toolbox guy. Cowen was that, now it's Ceci. I'm not holding my breath with Ceci. I hope he becomes a top 4 D, but it's not looking like it.

Ceci has struggled at times but he has also shown flashes that give me hope. I don't think he is a consistent top 4 now but I do think he can become one. Even if its just through experience vs development.

I would like to see the ice time distribution of Ceci , Boro, and Wideman level out a bit.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci has struggled at times but he has also shown flashes that give me hope. I don't think he is a consistent top 4 now but I do think he can become one. Even if its just through experience vs development.

I would like to see the ice time distribution of Ceci , Boro, and Wideman level out a bit.

Yeah but the flashes you see. Or maybe just I see are the times he simply just puts his head down with the puck and skates with it. And clears the zone. (Which I valuable don't get me wrong).
But even then. It's like he gets across the opponents blueline. And is lost.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah but the flashes you see. Or maybe just I see are the times he simply just puts his head down with the puck and skates with it. And clears the zone. (Which I valuable don't get me wrong).
I find him still under developed,patience is the key.Playing him with the trash we did the last two seasons didnt do him any favors:nod:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Yah ... definitely has some warts but, I am not inside his head, but if its going a million miles an hour in there ... there is some hope that things will slow down with experience. Does he have potential to be a mid level 4th D ... I think possibly. I am not ruling that out. Is it going to be something where everything all of a sudden clicks, not likely, so I would expect some slow/gradual improvement.

I am certainly not against upgrading him if we can and I would most likely keep Methot over him given Methot's body is not breaking down

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Because he's been such a dynamo with phaneuf
So it only takes half a season now to complete one,s development??Do you not remember how Ceci came into the league??He virtually came in and solidified that 2nd pair, as as a teenager.If anything he was rushed a little ,give him some time man .

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So it only takes half a season now to complete one,s development??Do you not remember how Ceci came into the league??He virtually came in and solidified that 2nd pair, as as a teenager.If anything he was rushed a little ,give him some time man .

He solidified stugatz. Capiche?

Also got carried by wiercioch during the hamburgler run.

How time does he want. We can't wait until karlsson is 30 to get him some support in the second pair. For goodness sake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad