Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think Ceci has to be going the other way in any deal with the Avs.

IMO, he's the piece they would want the most, and it would allow the team to give less in the rest of the package offered.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think Ceci has to be going the other way in any deal with the Avs.

IMO, he's the piece they would want the most, and it would allow the team to give less in the rest of the package offered.

thought they wanted a top pairing dman. Ceci is more or less a unproven top 4 imo

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
thought they wanted a top pairing dman. Ceci is more or less a unproven top 4 imo

Look what Adam Larsson got.

Ceci isn't extremely far off where Larsson was when we got traded. Hence why we'd have to add Lazar and or a pick and or a prospect.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Ceci isn't extremely far off where Larsson was when we got traded. Hence why we'd have to add Lazar and or a pick and or a prospect.

Adam Larsson was one of the best defensive D in the eastern conference.

Ceci, thus far this season, has been a tire fire offensively and defensively.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Adam Larsson was one of the best defensive D in the eastern conference.

Ceci, thus far this season, has been a tire fire offensively and defensively.

Fans refuse to appreciate the good plays Ceci makes and decide to focus on the negative.

Larsson is one of my fav dmen in the East other than Karlsson, Subban (before), Ristolainen, Letang, Hedman, Carlo (this year). I've watched him tons.

Ceci's ceiling is probably Larsson with slightly better offense. Adding Lazar and a 1st or other pieces makes up for that difference, and Hall is better than all those Avs forwards too, so that's another factor.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Fans refuse to appreciate the good plays Ceci makes and decide to focus on the negative.

Larsson is one of my fav dmen in the East other than Karlsson, Subban (before), Ristolainen, Letang, Hedman, Carlo (this year). I've watched him tons.

Ceci's ceiling is probably Larsson with slightly better offense. Adding Lazar and a 1st or other pieces makes up for that difference, and Hall is better than all those Avs forwards too, so that's another factor.

I don't refuse to acknowledge or appreciate anything. If it gets to the point you need to appreciate a guy for making a good/the right play, it's worrisome.

If a player is playing good, I will say they are playing good.

If a player is playing bad, I will say they are playing bad.

Are there times a bad player makes a good play (Boro doing something right), yes. It's unfortunate that these few good plays seem to be pointed out to make a player seem like they are good.

Are there times a bad player makes a good play (Karlsson giveaways), yes. These don't get called out as much because it's not the norm.

If I asked you asked you how Ceci was playing, would you say he was playing good or bad? It's that simple. Of course he's made some good plays, but he is still not playing well. At all.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ceci has nowhere near the ceiling of a more offensive Larsson. That would make him something like Victor Hedman and he's got nowhwere near that potential. Larsson is a very good defensemen. Ceci has a hard time gettting the puck out of the zone and his defensive play has been less than desireable.

Ceci probably has a ceiling of a Jeff Petry. Which is excellent actually.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe we should protect Karlsson, Phaneuf, and Methot in the expansion draft, and is LV takes Ceci, we try to sign Micheal Stone in the offseason(yeah, yeah I know, the budget).

This will never happen.

Ceci's value in a trade is probably way too high to lose him for "nothing" in the expansion draft.

Two scenarios that involve losing Ceci.

If Ottawa feels they have to protect Methot and are going to lose Ceci, Ottawa trades Ceci and gets a return for him great enough to justify losing Ceci+Lazar or Wideman (best available unprotected players in a 7-3-1) instead of ONLY losing Ceci. By proxy, Ottawa will have traded Ceci+(Wideman or Lazar) for a return instead of "trading" Ceci to Vegas via expansion selection for "nothing".

Ottawa goes 4-4, protects Turris/Brass/Hoff/Stone up front and set themselves up to lose one of Ryan/Lazar (RFA)/Pageau/Dzingel (RFA)/Smith (UFA). It is still way too early to say who Vegas takes but I would say the front runner there is Dzingel or Ryan (if he finishes with his usual 25/55 pace). Based on their performance today, it is obviously Dzingel, but that is a very small sample size for a guy who hasn't played at this level consistently before and is 25. If I am Vegas' GM, I take Dzingel, but I am not Vegas' GM.

The dream scenario for Ottawa would be Phaneuf waiving his NMC under the assumption that he will not get taken (huge cap hit relative to his position in the lineup/Vegas having a wealth of top 4 LDs available to them from other teams/Ottawa having some other decent pieces available). I can't say I know if he'd do it, and I wouldn't bet on it, but it isn't something that is that far out of an idea. A guy with leadership capabilities agreeing to take a small risk to keep what is being sold to him as a complete defensive core together.

If Phaneuf waives, Ottawa is in the drivers seat for the expansion draft. Best available players from Ottawa probably work out to be something like Smith (UFA would have to agree to a contract with Vegas), Lazar, Wideman, Driedger, Boro.

In that scenario, LV likely takes Lazar or Wideman. Wideman is still relatively young and their won't be an abundance of NHL calibre RD puck movers.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

It's been widely agreed that while Larsson is a quality d-man Edmonton overpaid big time.

Hall/Larsson is not a good trade to base the market around.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
This was apparent all summer, no clue why Dorian sat on his ass when guys like Quincey and Siedenberg signed for peanuts.

(I know, budget, they have to want to come here, etc. etc......)

You just answered your own question...??

I'm not one of the Melnyk haters but I can't see us ever retaining in a bid to ship Ryan out.

Nor should we. The problem with Ryan is that he's overpaid. He's not hurting the team (despite what you'd think from some of the vitriol), he's just not worth what he's paid. If we retain salary and get another player then that doesn't help in the slightest.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You just answered your own question...??

Nor should we. The problem with Ryan is that he's overpaid. He's not hurting the team (despite what you'd think from some of the vitriol), he's just not worth what he's paid. If we retain salary and get another player then that doesn't help in the slightest.

It was rhetorical....

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I can't believe we dealt Zib for an absolutely older and similar player in Brassard

We coulda traded him now prime time with Ceci for a guy like Duchene. Hopefully we can still maybe pitch Ceci+Brassard for Duchene

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can't believe we dealt Zib for an absolutely older and similar player in Brassard

We coulda traded him now prime time with Ceci for a guy like Duchene. Hopefully we can still maybe pitch Ceci+Brassard for Duchene

Doubtful. If I was Colorado, the first thing I'd ask, is why a guy is being traded by two different teams in less than a year.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016

Or we could've gotten hall/eberle+ for ceci and Zibby.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I really think boedker is in a situation where he can't survive. Getting him out of there and to here would be quite shrewd imo.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I really think boedker is in a situation where he can't survive. Getting him out of there and to here would be quite shrewd imo.

I could see it happening in the off-season or some time next year. He will only be owed 10.8mil/3yrs after this season (once his bonus is paid). That's 3.6/yr. If MacArthur's career proves itself to be over and done with, I think Boedker is an option we will look at.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Meh, I think we can. Have to move Hammond along in the deal, and then you can weigh your forward options.

Ted Purcell was at 1.6m and he wasn't claimed because we couldn't afford him.
Boedker is at 3.75m and for us to even be able to afford him SJS would need to take salary back. And I doubt that SJS has any interest in anything that we have to offer. Sadly, Boedker ain't happening bud. :shakehead:shakehead

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Boedker is at 3.75m and for us to even be able to afford him SJS would need to take salary back. And I doubt that SJS has any interest in anything that we have to offer. Sadly, Boedker ain't happening bud. :shakehead:shakehead

Please provide a source for this. Only thing I've seen relevant to this is Friedman saying Purcell played for Boucher and that Ottawa's got the budget to think about. Nowhere did it say we were interested in signing Purcell, nor did it say that the budget was the primary factor. So I'd really like to see something saying so.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He likely wasn't claimed because we didn't want him. Just like the Kings don't want him, and every other team in the league didn't want him. He's had a really poor season, maybe it's him just not being a fit for their system, but that's a risk other teams clearly are not willing to take for a 3rd/4th liner.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Something based around Ceci for Stone makes way too much sense.

ARZ gets a younger, cost-controlled RD that is an RFA after next season and fits into their youth movement.

OTT gets the better D that has a brother on the team (which presumably makes him much easier to re-sign) and is an exposable UFA that we can re-sign after expansion, allowing us to protect Methot and retain our top 4 defensemen.

Maybe we could get ARZ to add a bit on top of Stone, given that he's an upcoming UFA. Something like Duclair + Stone for Ceci + Lazar would be amazing.

Make it happen Dorion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Something based around Ceci for Stone makes way too much sense.

ARZ gets a younger, cost-controlled RD that is an RFA after next season and fits into their youth movement.

OTT gets the better D that has a brother on the team (which presumably makes him much easier to re-sign) and is an exposable UFA that we can re-sign after expansion, allowing us to protect Methot and retain our top 4 defensemen.

Maybe we could get ARZ to add a bit on top of Stone, given that he's an upcoming UFA. Something like Duclair + Stone for Ceci + Lazar would be amazing.

Make it happen Dorion.

I'd rather move Ceci elsewhere and see if we can package some prospects and picks for Stone. Ceci could land us a good, young top 6 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad