2016-17 Standings prediction

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrik Lundqvist is my wild card for them. If his performance against the Penguins was injury related, they should be okay.

If it was the bottom falling out on his career, they're in deep ****.

It was only 5 games. Marty had almost an identical 5 games against the Rangers in the 2008 playoffs and didn't really drop off for another 2 years after that. He had a pretty bad 25 games in the 2001 playoffs and then had a very strong 6 games the next playoff year but we couldn't score on 2002 Vezina winner of backups, Kevin Weekes.

Marty did also have a similar 5 game playoffs in 2010, then dropped off the next season. Though if you ask me, I think Marty started to show serious signs of breaking down once the 2010 part of the 2009-2010 season came around. It seemed sometime between when the calendar turned 2010 and the Olympics in February.

I don't think those 5 games are any indication of him breaking down just yet. I would almost bet that he had a 5 game stretch during the regular season last year (and almost every year) where he played as poorly as he did in the playoff series.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It was only 5 games. Marty had almost an identical 5 games against the Rangers in the 2008 playoffs and didn't really drop off for another 2 years after that. He had a pretty bad 25 games in the 2001 playoffs and then had a very strong 6 games the next playoff year but we couldn't score on 2002 Vezina winner of backups, Kevin Weekes.

Marty did also have a similar 5 game playoffs in 2010, then dropped off the next season. Though if you ask me, I think Marty started to show serious signs of breaking down once the 2010 part of the 2009-2010 season came around. It seemed sometime between when the calendar turned 2010 and the Olympics in February.

I don't think those 5 games are any indication of him breaking down just yet. I would almost bet that he had a 5 game stretch during the regular season last year (and almost every year) where he played as poorly as he did in the playoff series.

For me it's more about that last game where it seemed every single shot taken over his glove went in. I don't know if his arm was broken or what was up, but he was done by the end of that series.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For me it's more about that last game where it seemed every single shot taken over his glove went in. I don't know if his arm was broken or what was up, but he was done by the end of that series.

Sounds like his first ever playoff series against us back in 2006.

Every time it was shot at his glove, it usually went in. Well at least about 80% of the time. Even in the 08 series, we just barely ever shot there. I remember watching game highlights of game 5 (I was there in person and thus not watching on TV) of the 08 series and it was TSN's feed. Pierre kept saying that we needed to shoot for his glove and make an adjustment because that was his weak spot. And John Madden got the penalty shot and tried to deke and Pierre was like ''What is he doing deking? You gotta Put it up in the air on this guy!''

Which was a rare time I agreed with Pierre. It was odd to hear, because nowadays it seems like Pierre is a HUGE Rangers fan and homer. And while he didn't seem as bummed about us not scoring on Lundqvist in that game as he is these days when the Rangers don't score in a playoff game, it almost seemed like he was rooting for us and more than mildly annoyed that Madden didn't go for his glove hand and tried to deke.:laugh:

His glove has improved majorly in the last 5 or 6 years, but it was as good as useless early on. It almost seemed like he'd only allow goals on shots to his glove and never anywhere else unless it was a deflection or through a screen.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think Lundqvist still has a couple good years left in him. Maybe not at the same elite level, but good enough to be one of the better starters in the league. The problem is the team in front of him just isn't as good as it used to be. Staal and Girardi look worse every year, and are taking up over $11 million for the next 4 years. Stepan, Kreider, Zuccarello, Miller, Zibanejad should keep them competitive, but I think the Cup window has closed. It'll be interesting to see if Gorton gets proactive like he did with the Brassard/Zibanejad trade to keep the downturn as short as possible. Although I'm not really sure what he can do with Nash at 7.8 million and Staal and Girardi at what they're making.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Lundqvist still has a couple good years left in him. Maybe not at the same elite level, but good enough to be one of the better starters in the league. The problem is the team in front of him just isn't as good as it used to be. Staal and Girardi look worse every year, and are taking up over $11 million for the next 4 years. Stepan, Kreider, Zuccarello, Miller, Zibanejad should keep them competitive, but I think the Cup window has closed. It'll be interesting to see if Gorton gets proactive like he did with the Brassard/Zibanejad trade to keep the downturn as short as possible. Although I'm not really sure what he can do with Nash at 7.8 million and Staal and Girardi at what they're making.

How many more years is Nash signed for? Just 2 more?

Yeah it appears 2 more are left.

4 more for Girardi and he's already terrible, I can't even find how many more more years Staal has left, but I'm being pretty lazy about it.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I think the Rags are kind of in the same position as us this year. We each have a fantastic goalie, but our defense isn't anything to be excited about, and our forwards aren't fantastic either. I think the both of us will probably finish in the 12-20 range

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think the Rags are kind of in the same position as us this year. We each have a fantastic goalie, but our defense isn't anything to be excited about, and our forwards aren't fantastic either. I think the both of us will probably finish in the 12-20 range

true. but that being said, I'd take our forwards/entire organizational roster over theirs any day. and that's a nice thing

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

As far as this upcoming season, I think you're mostly right. The big difference is that the Rangers have a few older, less mobile defensemen in decline. Plus their only d-man that has the ability to improve with any significance is Shea. The Devils D is a bit more mobile and is a bit younger with more potential for improvement. The Devil's 2 vets on d have not shown any signs of declining to this point.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils

Atlantic
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Ottawa Senators

Wildcard
Pittsburgh Penguins
Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boston Bruins
New York Islanders
Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
New York Rangers
Carolina Hurricanes

Central
Nashville Predators
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Los Angeles Kings

Wildcard
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota Wild
San Jose Sharks
Edmonton Oilers
Arizona Coyotes
Colorado Avalanche
Vancouver Canucks

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils

Atlantic
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Ottawa Senators

Wildcard
Pittsburgh Penguins
Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boston Bruins
New York Islanders
Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
New York Rangers
Carolina Hurricanes

Central
Nashville Predators
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Los Angeles Kings

Wildcard
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota Wild
San Jose Sharks
Edmonton Oilers
Arizona Coyotes
Colorado Avalanche
Vancouver Canucks

I think there's a much better chance that one of Anaheim or LAK miss the playoffs than the Sharks.

Anaheim just hired Carlyle to be their head coach. I don't think that's enough to make them a non-playoff team, but they surely didn't get better.

LA's forward's are nothing worth bragging about. They lost Williams last offseason, replaced him with Lucic, then Lucic walks and was replaced with Teddy Purcell. They haven't been a high scoring team at all for a while and their D isn't that good anymore either.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
I think there's a much better chance that one of Anaheim or LAK miss the playoffs than the Sharks.

Anaheim just hired Carlyle to be their head coach. I don't think that's enough to make them a non-playoff team, but they surely didn't get better.

LA's forward's are nothing worth bragging about. They lost Williams last offseason, replaced him with Lucic, then Lucic walks and was replaced with Teddy Purcell. They haven't been a high scoring team at all for a while and their D isn't that good anymore either.

I think the Pacific is a tough division to pick. I seriously would consider picking the Wild to win that division and I have them 6th in the Central. I wouldn't be that surprised if the Oilers or even the Coyotes got in over any of the California teams.

The reason I left the Sharks out is a bad feeling I have about them mentally after coming so close. They weren't great in the regular season last year and I could see them having a tough time if things don't go well injury-wise.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Pacific is a tough division to pick. I seriously would consider picking the Wild to win that division and I have them 6th in the Central. I wouldn't be that surprised if the Oilers or even the Coyotes got in over any of the California teams.

The reason I left the Sharks out is a bad feeling I have about them mentally after coming so close. They weren't great in the regular season last year and I could see them having a tough time if things don't go well injury-wise.

I think a lot depends on their backup goaltending. Before acquiring James Reimer, they were using Alex Stalock as the backup and he had like an .885 save percentage or something. He literally cost them 3 or 4 points all by himself and he barely even played because he was so frickin unreliable. They also missed Couture for half the season too.

It appears they'll be using Aaron Dell as their backup this year, he's never played in the NHL and was playing for their AHL team last year. The numbers look good though.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York

You are right, but I think it will be less the players mental ability and more to do with that lame coach of theirs. His best seasons have always been his first ( Panthers and Devils ) and we know how that goes. :handclap:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York

You are right, but I think it will be less the players mental ability and more to do with that lame coach of theirs. His best seasons have always been his first ( Panthers and Devils ) and we know how that goes. :handclap:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Would be shocked if Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington & Florida did not make the playoffs next season.

Likewise, it would take a miracle for Toronto to make the playoffs and, while they could surprise and maybe sneak in, I still think Columbus is a good bet to miss the playoffs.

That leaves 10 teams for 5-13. The Rangers (101pts) and Islanders (100pts) had the highest point totals of these teams last year, but I feel like both teams are on the decline.

Philly was next with 96 points and got hot at the end of the season - with a relatively young team, I feel like they have the next best chance of making the playoffs.

Boston & Detroit (93pts each last year) - Not really sure which way these teams will go, but have to figure they'll be competing for a playoff spot throughout much of the year and will finish top 10 in the East.

Carolina (86pts) - A team that's going in the right direction. I think they'll improve over last year, but not sure if it will be enough to get in the playoffs.

Ottawa (85pts) - Seems like they should be better...bubble team.

Devils (84pts) - Should be in contention most of the season...I personally think we get in. Hall was a good addition, we have some really good competition for the last few spots among some younger guys and I think a few will surprise with decent seasons. Bottom 6 depth should be much improved and Schneider can steal some games.

Montreal (82pts) - Should have a decent chance of making the playoffs with a healthy Price, but that's far from a guarantee and it remains to be seen how the team will play without Subban. Anywhere between 5-13 would not surprise me for this team.

Buffalo (82pts) - Should get better, but I still think playoffs are another year off.

I guess I have Philly, Devils, Detroit & Rangers making the playoffs. In that order.

Carolina, Islanders, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo to follow, though not much separates any of these teams. Tough to call - would certainly be impressive if the Devils did make the playoffs.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If they stay healhy, wildcard seed. If not basically the same result as last season. Like I always say, 2017-2018 is the season I am looking more forward to!!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If they stay healhy, wildcard seed. If not basically the same result as last season. Like I always say, 2017-2018 is the season I am looking more forward to!!

Pretty much what I've been thinking too. We missed the playoffs by 12 points last year. I don't know as if we're that much improved to make that kind of gap up. The potential is there though if certain players stay healthy and kids like Zacha and Boucher make an impact in the top 9.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I really think the Devils will finish ahead of the Rangers this season.

Just compare their lineups and staff.

Hynes > Vigneault

Schneider > Lundqvist

Mcdonagh > Greene
Severson > Girardi
Moore > Staal
Klein = Lovejoy
Skjei > Merrill
Santini = McIlrath

Hall > Zuccarello
Henrique > Zibanejad
Cammalleri > Nash
Zajac = Stepan
Palmieri > Kreider
Miller > Boucher
Hayes > Bennett
Zacha = Buchnevich
DSP > Fast
Devils 4th line and depth > Rangers 4th line and depth

I just don't see the NYR finishing ahead of the NJD.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Hynes > Vigneault

Schneider > Lundqvist

Mcdonagh > Greene
Severson > Girardi
Moore > Staal
Klein = Lovejoy
Skjei > Merrill
Santini = McIlrath

Hall > Zuccarello
Henrique > Zibanejad
Cammalleri > Nash
Zajac = Stepan
Palmieri > Kreider
Miller > Boucher
Hayes > Bennett
Zacha = Buchnevich
DSP > Fast

Some of these are really debatable. I know Staal sucks now, but is John Moore REALLY better than him? Cammalleri better than Nash? I'm not sure about that, it's a wash at best.

And no way Stepan is equal to Zajac, he's easily a hell of a lot better than Zajac. I figured I'd be the first to point that out, before the people who are really down on Zajac could beat me to it.

Group Chat Legend*

Hynes > Vigneault

Schneider > Lundqvist

Mcdonagh > Greene
Severson > Girardi
Moore > Staal
Klein = Lovejoy
Skjei > Merrill
Santini = McIlrath

Hall > Zuccarello
Henrique > Zibanejad
Cammalleri > Nash
Zajac = Stepan
Palmieri > Kreider
Miller > Boucher
Hayes > Bennett
Zacha = Buchnevich
DSP > Fast

Santini is not equal to McIlrath. Santini will actually go places whereas McIlrath is a bust and a half.

Both squads as they are now, healthy, Rangers are a tiny bit better. But I do think NJ does better this year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't see the Rangers falling that far and us rising that much where we finish better than them. I think we're probably a ~90 point team this year, assuming we stay relatively healthy.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Other than Nash missing about 20 games, the Rags were pretty injury-free last year. If they get hit harder this year, I can easily see us passing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad