In the East, the class by a wide margin is:

Pittsburgh
Tampa
Washington

also making the playoffs for sure:

NY Rangers

Likely to make the playoffs:

Philadelphia, Buffalo

Everyone else is on the bubble except for Toronto, whom I don't see making it under any scenario. I think Florida Regresses and competes hard with Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, Montreal, Detroit etc. for one of those last two spots. Islanders have regressed big time, off season was a disaster, and they probably miss the playoffs this year. But the bubble is everyone competing with two or at most three open spots and comes down to the last week as usual.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Too early to tell. Defense doesn't have the puck mover required to make the playoffs as of now. Unless Severson steps up and puts up 35+...which is highly unlikely.

Group Chat Legend*

Pittsburgh
Tampa
Washington

NY Rangers

Philadelphia, Buffalo

Everyone else is on the bubble except for Toronto, whom I don't see making it under any scenario. I think Florida Regresses and competes hard with Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, Montreal, Detroit etc. for one of those last two spots. Islanders have regressed big time, off season was a disaster, and they probably miss the playoffs this year. But the bubble is everyone competing with two or at most three open spots and comes down to the last week as usual.

The Rangers are for sure making it?

Where have you been

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh
Tampa
Washington

NY Rangers

Philadelphia, Buffalo

The Rangers making the playoffs for sure? No mention of Florida in the class of the east, who could easily be better than Tampa? Buffalo as likely to make the playoffs?

Reading this thread, it's kind of amazing how critical our fans can be of the team. Homerism aside, there's just no reason for me to put the Rangers or Flyers ahead of the Devils this season. I think Florida, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa are all better than the Devils. I think the Devils can be just as good as any other team in the east.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Pittsburgh
Tampa
Washington

NY Rangers

Philadelphia, Buffalo

Lol. I award you no points.

Tampa Bay, Florida, Washington, and Pittsburgh are the only teams in the Eastern Conference that I would say are better than the Devils right now. That is it.

Camille the Eel

then we are not that far apart -

after Pittsburgh, Tamp and Washington put everyone else on the bubble. Those three teams are the dominant ones, the rest are in somewhat the same class.

Some rate Florida very high but I think they are slow and that Jagr is a storm anchor dragging them backwards from here and that they will miss Kulikov and Campbell very much. As for the Rangers, they've still got Lundqvist and their core and a good deal of depth and some young talent also, and they've been quite dominant in the east for the past three of four seasons, and I don't see them falling off that much. So I rate them above the bubble a little, but time will tell.

I really don't see that much disagreement between myself and the prior posters, it's three or four teams out front and one big bubble. Parity. What? We will be competitive for sure: our weaknesses an untried defense and lack of size and strength in the center position.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Rangers still have Lundqvist and he is still good. They were also 7th in GF last season. I don't see them dropping that far.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
NY Rangers

Atlantic
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens

Wildcard
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils

Buffalo Sabres
Ottawa Senators
New York Islanders
Boston Bruins
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Carolina Hurricanes
Toronto Maple Leafs

Central
Dallas Stars
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Arizona Coyotes

Wildcard
Chicago Blackhawks
San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets
Colorado Avalanche

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rangers still have Lundqvist and he is still good. They were also 7th in GF last season. I don't see them dropping that far.

Yeah I think their days of contending or being a playoff threat are over. They could still win a round if they get a real wet fish of an opponent or if the Caps drop to their knees for them as per the usual.

But I think they'll probably still be a playoff team, unless the offense falls off a cliff or Lundqvist has a long term injury. Auntie Rhonda isn't as good as Talbot, so he probably couldn't hold the fort if Lundqvist was injured for a very long time, short of a Scott Clemmensen-like 08-09 hot streak. So I think the Rangers are probably safe to make the playoffs for the next year or two, but I don't expect them to contend. I also wouldn't be surprised if they just missed out and grenaded at the very end either, much like Boston has in the last two seasons.

Speaking of goaltending, I think we're at least a bubble team. I could see us just squeaking in the playoffs or possibly just missing by a few points like the Panthers did in 14-15. Even if the defense is worse, Cory is still likely gonna be a .920+ goaltender, barring a bad season from him or maybe if the penalty killing is really poor and he has a bad PK save percentage. He's good for .930 at even strength and has been a .933 even strength goaltender both of the last few years. If we start allowing more shots than last year though, his GAA will go up, as would any goaltender. Just like his GAA was higher in 14-15 but his save percentage was the same. If he got hurt or even had to miss a month like last season though, Kinkaid's .903 goaltending isn't gonna be good enough to keep us in there.

But one bit of good news and reason for slight optimism for Kinkaid to bounce back is that Martin Jones had a similar season to Kinkaid's last year in 14-15 with the Kings. He had a lousy season and was barely used probably because of it. Then rebounded in a HUGE way as the Sharks starter last year. The only difference though is that he was even better in his rookie year than Kinkaid was and his ceiling is much higher than Kinkaid's. I don't see any potential for Kinkaid in this league. But I think he could be a .910-.915 goaltender next year, or he could be lousy again.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
East

Metro
Penguins
Capitals
Devils

Atlantic
Panthers
Lightning
Canadiens

Wild Card
Islanders
Flyers

Rangers
Sabres
Red Wings
Bruins
Leafs
Hurricanes
Senators
Blue Jackets

West

Central
Stars
Predators
Blues

Pacific
Sharks
Flames
Kings

Wild Card
Blackhawks
Wild

Ducks
Jets
Coyotes
Oilers
Avalanche
Canucks

Last Place - Canucks
President's Trophy - Penguins

Stanley Cup - Predators

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Preds could probably win the cup, they might need a new goaltender though. Rinne is finished, I'm not sure I see him putting up another season like he did in 14-15. They got to the playoffs last year in spite of his poor play, but they didn't get as far as they could have.

I don't think they were as good as the Sharks, but the biggest advantage the Sharks had actually wound up being in net. Rinne let in too many backbreaking and weak goals that series. Played outstanding for over 40 minutes in game 1 and stopped the first 30+ shots, then let in the deflating Pavelski goal from a sharp angle (or was it behind the goal line? I can't even remember) and that led to two more Sharks goals and killed the Preds. He literally played 2 good games that series, game 2 which they lost and game 3. He was good for most of game 4, but let in that Burns softy very early in the game.

They also won game 6 very much in spite of him. He let in that goal where he tripped over an invisible banana peel late in regulation in game 6, before his team tied it and won in OT. And he was barely tested at all that game.

I'd only trust him over the Dallas platoon when it comes to goalies on playoff teams.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think the Pens, Caps are great teams but they don't scare me. I feel we struggle more with Panthers and Blue Jackets because of their size and style of play. Plus Panthers now have the easiest path. Caps, Pens any order then Devils. Panthers, any order of Sens, Wings, Sabers. Last WC up between New Yorks, Boston, Flyers.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Pens, Caps are great teams but they don't scare me. I feel we struggle more with Panthers and Blue Jackets because of their size and style of play. Plus Panthers now have the easiest path. Caps, Pens any order then Devils. Panthers, any order of Sens, Wings, Sabres. Last WC up between New Yorks, Boston, Flyers.

Don't even get me started on that Blue Jackets team.

If we could have beaten that team more often last year, we'd be close enough to a playoff spot. Like if we didn't lost 4 of 5 to them.

And didn't we lose all 4 in regulation too? 2 points out of a possible 10 against them? And it took us until our last try against them last year? **** that!

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Don't forget about the Lightning. That is going to be a dangerous team for awhile.

I have a feeling they are due for a fall. They are not as dominent as they should be and might of been better off with out Stamkos. They are built like the caps but Ovi >>>> Stamkos. 120 pts for the Caps and 97 for TB. 5 teams in the East did better and one did about the same. Many teams made improvements. They did not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
43 wins +/- 2.

That's my prediction.

That could either be a playoff team or not, depending on the number of OT/shootout losses.

43-30-9 is 95 points.

43-34-5 is 91 and falls short. Unless we have a team like last year's Wild in our conference. They got into the playoffs with only a few more points than us.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There are 4 teams that form the guranteed spots in the east and are a step above everyone else.

Pitt, Florida, Tampa, Washington.

Those 4 are getting in and contending barring injury issues.

Everyone else is a step down but don't really have much seperation between them right now.

Anyone of Rags, Isles, Devils, Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Ottawa, Philly could finish between 5th and 13th in the conference.

Some have better odds than others (team like Ottawa more likely to be closer to 13) but there won't be a ton of seperation here.

Can't realistically guranteed the Rags a spot. They have not improved a meh team from last year. Their D is another year older (and slower) and Henry is getting older too. They will still
Have issues scoring as well.

There are a number of match up headaches in the Metro alone for them that could see them pushed out. Speed is that team's kryptonite and there are a number of speedy teams in this division.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There are 4 teams that form the guranteed spots in the east and are a step above everyone else.

Pitt, Florida, Tampa, Washington.

Those 4 are getting in and contending barring injury issues.

Everyone else is a step down but don't really have much seperation between them right now.

Anyone of Rags, Isles, Devils, Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Ottawa, Philly could finish between 5th and 13th in the conference.

Some have better odds than others (team like Ottawa more likely to be closer to 13) but there won't be a ton of seperation here.

Can't realistically guranteed the Rags a spot. They have not improved a meh team from last year. Their D is another year older (and slower) and Henry is getting older too. They will still
Have issues scoring as well.

There are a number of match up headaches in the Metro alone for them that could see them pushed out. Speed is that team's kryptonite and there are a number of speedy teams in this division.

I think Ottawa is a bit underrated around these parts. Personally, I like their team and feel like they have a lot of nice pieces. Adding Phaneuf gives them a well-rounded D core especially since he isn't the go-to guy anymore:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Lazar - Pageau - Smith
xxxxx - Kelly - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Wideman - Borowiecki
Kostka

I like their team and I think Anderson is a very underrated, consistent goalie. They must be one of the few teams to have an incredibly high right handed to left handed forward ratio though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Ottawa is a bit underrated around these parts. Personally, I like their team and feel like they have a lot of nice pieces. Adding Phaneuf gives them a well-rounded D core especially since he isn't the go-to guy anymore:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Lazar - Pageau - Smith
xxxxx - Kelly - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Wideman - Borowiecki
Kostka

I like their team and I think Anderson is a very underrated, consistent goalie. They must be one of the few teams to have an incredibly high right handed to left handed forward ratio though.

They will be on or near the bubble.

Odd team long term as they are kind of stuck in limbo a bit unless they get a lotto win or hit some home runs with picks or trades.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ottawa is alright, I'm not too high on them but I think they're a bubble team.

If Boucher's system can be somewhat competent, they have a chance. Last year they were dead last in shots against and not too far ahead of us in shots for.

But I still maintain that regardless of what happens with the Guy, Dave Cameron was a horrendous head coach at the NHL level. Pretty much just walked around and looked like he had no clue at what he was doing and always acted like he couldn't hear when the media was talking to him. Cameron was an even worst NHL head coach than he was an NHL player. And he was a pretty awful player too.

Kevin Dineen was a pretty awful NHL head coach, but at least he was a good player at ONE point in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad