2016-17 Standings prediction

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
So Devils fans, I know it's only July and team rosters are subject to change, but most of the team lineups seem to be set.

So without further ado, lets see some predictions on which teams finish where!

Eastern Conference
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers

Atlantic
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens

Wildcard
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders
Buffalo Sabres
Boston Bruins
Carolina Hurricanes
New York Rangers
Detroit Red Wings
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Western Conference
Central
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific
San Jose Sharks
Anaheim Ducks
Los Angeles Kings

Wildcard
Dallas Stars
Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota Wild
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Colorado Avalanche
Arizona Coyotes

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
East

Metro
1) Capitals
2) Penguins
3) Flyers

Atlantic
1) Bolts
2) Panthers
3) Canadiens

Wildcard
7) Rangers
8) Islanders

9) Devils
10) Senators
11) Bruins
12) Sabres
13) Red Wings
14) Blue Jackets
15) Hurricanes
16) Leafs

West

Central
1) Stars
2) Predators
3) Blackhawks

Pacific
1) Sharks
2) Ducks
3) Kings

Wildcard
7) Blues
8) Flames

9) Wild
10) Jets
11) Oilers
12) Coyotes
13) Canucks
14) Avalanche

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too soon. Need to know the lineup first.

This.

And the the Blue Jackets in a wild card spot? Really? We're seeing this crazy pick yet again? Well I guess it's not as crazy as the Stanley Cup Finals and Metro Division winners picks from last year. :shakehead

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Werenski is gonna be a STUD.

Too many grinders and not enough skill for my liking on the Blue Jackets. I was really big on them last year, but they've disappointed me. I'm not sold on Bobrovsky either, I think he is very hit or miss each season.

At this point, I don't really have a full-on prediction, but I definitely have a few opinions of how the standings are going to play out. Just a couple of my predictions:

1. St. Louis Blues miss the playoffs. Losing Elliott will likely be a big blow to that stability at goaltender and I think they are squeezed out of a tough central this year.
2. Chicago hovers on the bubble, but makes the playoffs. I think the Ducks are going to struggle as well, like the Blues, after losing the veteran stability of Andersen.
3. Winnipeg Jets will be one of the best teams in the West next year.
4. I think the Oilers will finally make the playoffs.
5. Pittsburgh/Washington dominate the East.
6. Florida dominates the Atlantic.
7. I think the Rangers struggle unless they find a way to unload one of Staal/Girardi.
8. The Canadiens have way too many holes for me, I think they are going to be on the outside looking in.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Atlantic:
1.) Tampa Bay
2.) Florida
3.) Montreal

Metropolitan:
1.) Washington
2.) Pittsburgh
3.) Philadelphia

WC:
7.) New Jersey
8.) NY Rangers
--------------------
9.) Detroit
10.) Buffalo
11.) NY Islanders
12.) Boston
13.) Columbus
14.) Toronto
15.) Carolina
16.) Ottawa

Central:
1.) Dallas
2.) Nashville
3.) St. Louis

Pacific:
1.) San Jose
2.) Anaheim
3.) Calgary

WC:
7.) Chicago
8.) Los Angeles
-------------------
9.) Arizona
10.) Winnipeg
11.) Colorado
12.) Edmonton
13.) Minnesota
14.) Vancouver

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Werenski is gonna be a STUD.
Schneider was a stud the last two year's too and we didn't make the playoffs.
Too many grinders and not enough skill for my liking on the Blue Jackets. I was really big on them last year, but they've disappointed me. I'm not sold on Bobrovsky either, I think he is very hit or miss each season.

At this point, I don't really have a full-on prediction, but I definitely have a few opinions of how the standings are going to play out. Just a couple of my predictions:

1. St. Louis Blues miss the playoffs. Losing Elliott will likely be a big blow to that stability at goaltender and I think they are squeezed out of a tough central this year.
2. Chicago hovers on the bubble, but makes the playoffs. I think the Ducks are going to struggle as well, like the Blues, after losing the veteran stability of Andersen.
3. Winnipeg Jets will be one of the best teams in the West next year.
4. I think the Oilers will finally make the playoffs.
5. Pittsburgh/Washington dominate the East.
6. Florida dominates the Atlantic.
7. I think the Rangers struggle unless they find a way to unload one of Staal/Girardi.
8. The Canadiens have way too many holes for me, I think they are going to be on the outside looking in.
Bobrovsky has been pretty steady since landing in Columbus, but last year he wasn't very good. And the first month he was abysmal. Just watch highlights of their first game of the season against the Rangers. They went ahead 2-1 late in the 3rd period, then Bob managed to allow 2 or 3 softies in the final two minutes of regulation and they lost 4-2. That would have been more hilarious to watch if that hadn't been the Rangers doing it to them.

I do like many of your predictions, even though I don't agree with a lot of them. They're very ballsy though and not the typical lazy BS you see from writers, who automatically pick every team that made the playoffs last year to make them this year. And sometimes they'll add a random playoff miss like the Blue Jackets usually. These are the same clowns that picked Colorado to repeat a playoff performance in 2015 and Calgary last year.

If Winnipeg dominates though, they'll need to hand it over to Hellebuyck fast. No more Pavelsuck as the starter anymore.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really feel like the Kings might miss again. I'm not sure what their pipeline is like, but replacing Lucic with Teddy Purcell, on a team that already struggled to sometimes score, that's not great for them.

And when they got Lucic, they were basically replacing Justin Williams. Although Lucic was an upgrade to Williams. They're in a lot of cap trouble and I just don't believe that they're the contender they were anymore.

Brown is finished and is barely a 3rd liner anymore and on a brutal contract. Richards is gone, Williaks is gone. Voynov is gone and half their D isn't good anymore either. They'll need some prospect to come in and replace what those guys that they lost brought.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
LA is going to hit a wall real soon. Brown, Carter and Gaborik are signed until they're 37-39. All getting paid 4.85+. Brown is on the worst contract in the NHL, worse than Clarkson. The rest of their forwards outside of Toffoli are garbage.

Kopitar is awesome but he's 28 and signed until 2024, that's a long investment at 10 million a year until a guy is 36. Doughty is going to need a new contract in 2-3 years and will easily get 8-9+ and longterm.

Talk about a team in cap hell.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Bobrovsky has been pretty steady since landing in Columbus, but last year he wasn't very good. And the first month he was abysmal. Just watch highlights of their first game of the season against the Rangers. They went ahead 2-1 late in the 3rd period, then Bob managed to allow 2 or 3 softies in the final two minutes of regulation and they lost 4-2. That would have been more hilarious to watch if that hadn't been the Rangers doing it to them.

I do like many of your predictions, even though I don't agree with a lot of them. They're very ballsy though and not the typical lazy BS you see from writers, who automatically pick every team that made the playoffs last year to make them this year. And sometimes they'll add a random playoff miss like the Blue Jackets usually. These are the same clowns that picked Colorado to repeat a playoff performance in 2015 and Calgary last year.

If Winnipeg dominates though, they'll need to hand it over to Hellebuyck fast. No more Pavelsuck as the starter anymore.

I think they are all ballsy, like you said, but very realistic. I did one somewhere on this site, but I don't remember where. I'll try and find it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LA is going to hit a wall real soon. Brown, Carter and Gaborik are signed until they're 37-39. All getting paid 4.85+. Brown is on the worst contract in the NHL, worse than Clarkson. The rest of their forwards outside of Toffoli are garbage.

Kopitar is awesome but he's 28 and signed until 2024, that's a long investment at 10 million a year until a guy is 36. Doughty is going to need a new contract in 2-3 years and will easily get 8-9+ and longterm.

Talk about a team in cap hell.

I don't think the Brown contract is worse than Clarkson's at least not yet or until Clarkson kicks the bucket bad enough with injuries that he's on LTIR permanently.

But I do agree with the rest of your points. For all the good Dean did, I think they'll be paying for it in the next few years. I think they'll be paying dearly for it. At least they got two cups of of it.

Gaborik is still good as of now, but he's pretty injury prone and is very high mileage for a 1982 model.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
East

Metro
1) Capitals
2) Penguins
3) Devils

Atlantic
1) Bolts
2) Panthers
3) Buffalo

Wildcard
7) Flyers
8) Islanders

9) Bruins
10) Canadiens
11) Senators
12) Hurricanes
13) Rangers
14) Red Wings
15) Blue Jackets
16) Leafs

West

Central
1) Predators
2) Stars
3) Winnipeg

Pacific
1) Sharks
2) Ducks
3) Kings

Wildcard
7) Hawks
8) Flames

9) Blues
10) Wild
11) Oilers
12) Coyotes
13) Avalanche
14) Canucks

I think we have gotten better and, I know I'll get crap for this, Lovejoy will make losing Larsson less painful than it would otherwise be on the scoresheet at least. I'm a big Larsson fan but his offense was never his highlight and Lovejoy will bridge the gap well enough. Adding Hall, likely Zacha, and icing a 4th line that is competent will go a long way. Washington and Pitt will be interchangeable but both will be on top of the Metro. I see Philly having a decent season but I don't expect Ghost to repeat his performance and I expect them to regress if only slightly. isles have gotten worse. Losing Okposo, Nielsen, and Martin hurt them and while they replaced them, they got older in doing so. The Rangers will begin their free fall this season. Hank is a year older, they lost Yandle, they have no replacements, and their players are getting older. They also have no prospects. Good times. Canes will tread water, largely due to their goaltending as they have some up and coming Dmen and prospects and aren't as bad as some would think. Columbus is a tire fire as long as Jarmo is in charge.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'll throw mine together real quick:

Atlantic:

1. Florida
2. Tampa Bay (think these two can go either way though)
3. Ottawa -- have some nice pieces and I think they rounded out their team nicely.
------------
4. Montreal
5. Buffalo -- think they overachieve but they're still the second-worst team in the division with bad goaltending
6. Boston -- defense is falling apart there and they don't have anything to fix it soon, I do think they will be on the bubble, too many good pieces not to be.
7. Toronto
8. Detroit -- they're trying to patch up the team with Nielsen, but I think it comes crumbling down this year, especially if they don't start transitioning to Mrazek

Metropolitan:
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. New York Islanders
4. Philadelphia Flyers
5. New Jersey -- the homer in me has to put them here, but I think it's going to be a close race with MTL/BUF/BOS
------------
6. Carolina -- if only they had a solid goalie, Ward/Lack could drag them down further though
7. New York Rangers -- it all comes crumbling down this year like Detroit
8. Columbus -- like I said, not sold on them at all.

Pacific:
1. San Jose -- this is likely Thornton/Marleau's last chance as good players, I think Wilson goes all-in next year
2. Los Angeles -- a lot of holes, but too many good pieces not to make the playoffs
3. Edmonton -- they added the right pieces, in my opinion, to balance out their youth and skill
4. Calgary -- I think Elliott gives them just enough stability that they need
----------
5. Anaheim -- I think they just miss out. Gibson should be good, but not yet. Too many holes and there will likely be a good amount of turnover on defense
6. Phoenix -- same situation as Carolina, need some defense help though
7. Vancouver -- a team that should be rebuilding trying to compete, they should hope they end up here

Central:
1. Dallas -- I think Nashville might supplant them here as they work in their young defenders
2. Winnipeg -- they have tons of talent, just need to steer the reigns away from Pavelec
3. Nashville -- nice well-rounded team, should comfortably make the playoffs
4. Chicago -- getting very top heavy, but they are lucky to have Campbell for cheap
-----------
5. St. Louis -- same as Anaheim after losing Elliott
6. Minnesota
7. Colorado

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
East

Metro
1) Capitals
2) Penguins
3) Devils

Atlantic
1) Bolts
2) Panthers
3) Buffalo

Wildcard
7) Flyers
8) Islanders

9) Bruins
10) Canadiens
11) Senators
12) Hurricanes
13) Rangers
14) Red Wings
15) Blue Jackets
16) Leafs

West

Central
1) Predators
2) Stars
3) Winnipeg

Pacific
1) Sharks
2) Ducks
3) Kings

Wildcard
7) Hawks
8) Flames

9) Blues
10) Wild
11) Oilers
12) Coyotes
13) Avalanche
14) Canucks

I think we have gotten better and, I know I'll get crap for this, Lovejoy will make losing Larsson less painful than it would otherwise be on the scoresheet at least. I'm a big Larsson fan but his offense was never his highlight and Lovejoy will bridge the gap well enough. Adding Hall, likely Zacha, and icing a 4th line that is competent will go a long way. Washington and Pitt will be interchangeable but both will be on top of the Metro. I see Philly having a decent season but I don't expect Ghost to repeat his performance and I expect them to regress if only slightly. isles have gotten worse. Losing Okposo, Nielsen, and Martin hurt them and while they replaced them, they got older in doing so. The Rangers will begin their free fall this season. Hank is a year older, they lost Yandle, they have no replacements, and their players are getting older. They also have no prospects. Good times. Canes will tread water, largely due to their goaltending as they have some up and coming Dmen and prospects and aren't as bad as some would think. Columbus is a tire fire as long as Jarmo is in charge.

Maybe it's something in the air down here in the beautiful sunshine state, but I think you're one of the only other people that has critiqued Jarmo on here! Other than me.

I'm sure he's taken quite the beating from his own fanbase and other fanbases for last year's disaster of a season. The 0-10-0 start (or whatever it was) and the Torts hiring, then Torts alienating their best forward in Johansen and pushing him out the door.

But that guy ALWAYS got way too much respect that he didn't deserve. You would think the guy actually accomplished some kind of squat in the NHL at this level as a GM, but he hasn't. He's really not much better than Howson and neither is JD either. That's another case of a team firing a terrible management team, only to replace them with a couple of guys that are almost as bad, if not in some cases worse. Like Montreal going from Gainey (Gomez for McDonagh trade LOL) to Gauthier to Bergevin. And Vancouver going from Gillis to frickin Benning. Frickin Colorado going from a bunch of clowns to a bunch of legendary players as management clowns. I don't think Jarmo did a terrible there upon arrival, but he's really not done a good job in a whole.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think we'll definitely be better than last year. Better enough to make the playoffs? I'm not sure. I think it's largely dependant on the kids. If Zacha and Boucher can provide some legitimate third line offense, and if Severson and Merrill find some consistency I think we could really surprise some people. I do know that I'm more excited going into this season than I have been in a while. It at least feels like we're moving towards something instead of spinning our wheels, which if I'm completely honest, it's felt like we've been doing since the run to the Cup Final in 2012.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Surprised how many of our own fans have the Flyers over the Devils. They have some nice young pieces, but there's no chance I would put that team ahead of the Devils current roster. From the net out, I just don't see a single position group where I think the Flyers are stronger.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Pacific:
1. Anaheim (Horrible offseason so far but enough talent in a mediocre division)
2. San Jose (Last hura for Marleau and Thornton)
3. Calgary (I think they did enough to get back in the playoffs)
4. Los Angeles (Good team but overrated in my opinion and not a contender)
5. Edmonton (will be better but not for playoffs)
6. Vancouver (if healthy they could surprise but shoul really start a rebuild)
7. Arizona (lots of young forwards, no defence and average goaltending)

Central:
1. Chicago (first time since lockout more rest and we all know how they dominated from start to finish in 2013 even if they lost some forward depth)
2. Dallas (scoring will get them in playoffs)
3. Nashville (great offseason, tough team to play against)
4. Minnesota (good hire with Boudreau, this team could even win division or be dead last)
5. St. Louis (will be in playoffs but thats also it)
6. Winnipeg (in any other division and they would make it)
7. Colorado (lottery bound again)

Atlantic:
1. Tampa Bay (in my opinion best team in the league)
2. Florida (Will give Tampa a run for their money)
3. Montreal (if Price healthy)
4. Detroit (just makes it)
5. Ottawa (owner is killing them)
6. Buffalo (no defence, Lehner must be healthy)
7. Boston (Ughhhhh...)
8. Toronto (won't be as bad but still top 5 pick)

Metro:
1. Washington (another Presidents trophy for them)
2. Pittsburgh (will easy get in)
3. New York Islanders (from 3-8 it's almost a toss up but Isles will make it)
4. New York Rangers (In my opinion last chance before a rebuild)
5. Philadelphia (Will just miss it)
6. Carolina (If their goaltending holds they could swaap places with Rangers)
7. New Jersey (finally again top forward but the hole in defence to big for now)
8. Columbus (lots of talent but bad mix)

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
A healthy Devils team equals playoffs. That is a no-homer comment. 25-30 goal ability players w/ a healthy Cam is 4. After that we Zajac and DSP = 15/20 (A healthy Bennett could be 3) If Patty is healthy and resigned add him in that group. A bunch of players around 10 goals and then .........JJ. Corey out played most all other goalies in our division. We have great team D. Playoffs!

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Eastern Conference
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
NY Islanders

Atlantic
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
Boston Bruins

Wildcard
Devils
NY Rangers

Last edited:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I still have us at 9th or 10th in the east. The young D will have a lot of growing up to do and there will be injuries along the way. Heading in the right direction but we aren't there quite yet.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Eastern Conference
Metropolitan
Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
NY Islanders
NJ Devils - If certain players stay mostly healthy. It's important that Hall & Zacha and a thin Defense don't get injured for long periods. We know Cammy is going down at some point in the season. We'll see soon enough.

Atlantic
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers

Wildcard
Philadelphia Flyers
NY Rangers

There can't be 6 teams from one division.

Group Chat Legend*

I still have us at 9th or 10th in the east. The young D will have a lot of growing up to do and there will be injuries along the way. Heading in the right direction but we aren't there quite yet.

I was thinking about this just before...

Last Year - This Coming Season
Defense > Defense
Offense << Offense
Goaltending = Goaltending

I think, with NJs overall emphasis on a team defense, you wont see much lost in that respect. While the defense itself is weaker (Larsson, Schlemko out / Lovejoy in) I believe the offense's ability to keep the play in the other end will counteract the hit on defense that we took.

I think he team's overall center depth (and their defensive talent) and fast skaters will make for better backchecking and forechecking; thus, have we really lost anything on the defensive side?

Just a thought... Curious what others think about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad