2016-17 season expectations

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
our crappy crappy crappy defense got substantially worse...im amazed how many people completely ignore this and think we'll be ok.

i made that point earlier in this thread.

the defense lost its best offensive player and retained 2 of its 3 worst defensive players. net worse.

we add holden who is a 3rd pair type guy and a full season of skjei and mcilrath.

last years defense couldn't skate, defend, pass or create anything on the other side of the blue line.

bottom line, unless we move one of the slugs out and add a proven top 4 dman capable of playing big minutes in both zones, this defense will be a horror show replay of last season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I honestly thought Grabner was the Stalberg replacement. Not Gerbe.

Im looking at it more in terms of player in and player out...with the position they play being the comparison point.

In reality I think that Buchnevich will replace Stalbergs spot, and Moore will be replaced by Grabner.

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
Lose Yandle, Add Clendening Net Huge Loss

Lose Moore, Add Grabner. Net...push...maybe a win..but not by much

Lose Stalberg, Add Gerbe. Net, huge loss.

Lose Boyle, Add Skjei. Net..unknown....Skjei is still a rookie, dont forget that.

We got substantially worse.

EDIT let me also add that in all likelyhood Buchnevich is the guy replacing Stalberg...i get that...but i have zero stats to show for buch...so...yeah.

Thats assuming Clendenig makes the team. I dont think a guy who was getting 15 mins a night in EDM will be on the roster. i think Holden (LHD) takes Yandles spot (LHD). Holden was playing 22 a night in Col on the first pair but he was clearly mismatched. Put him on the 3rd pair and hes a good Dman. Obviously not as good as Yandle but.

I think Moore's replacement would be Lindberg, not a winger in Grabner. Moore was god awful last year. Lindberg when he gets back will be solid defensively.

I think Stahlbergs replace will be Grabner.

Not to mention the improvement and maturation of Fast, Miller, Hayes, Skjei, hopefully Kreider. I think we will be fine.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Thats assuming Clendenig makes the team. I dont think a guy who was getting 15 mins a night in EDM will be on the roster. i think Holden (LHD) takes Yandles spot (LHD). Holden was playing 22 a night in Col on the first pair but he was clearly mismatched. Put him on the 3rd pair and hes a good Dman. Obviously not as good as Yandle but.

I think Moore's replacement would be Lindberg, not a winger in Grabner. Moore was god awful last year. Lindberg when he gets back will be solid defensively.

I think Stahlbergs replace will be Grabner.

Not to mention the improvement and maturation of Fast, Miller, Hayes, Skjei, hopefully Kreider. I think we will be fine.

ill be honest...i completely forgot about Holden.

Youre totally right there.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yea other than last season Gerbe's been very good for his role. He's been consistently like 0.4 PPG guy who shoots a ton. It's not like he was being force fed big minutes in his best years. He was still getting mostly 13-14 mins/game in Buffalo

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Wrong!! Dylan should have played over Girardi and Boyle all season

Nothing wrong making someone earn the spot. Miller got that same treatment.

Look, AV is not perfect but all coaches have their favorites (AV - Glass). AV is nowhere near as bad as some here are making it out to be.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Yes how dare he play Girardi, Staal and Boyle.

We had no one to play instead of them.

Please, it was clear Girardi should've been playing at all with his knee injury and Boyle was done as a player. Skjei and Dylan should have way more playing time, team wasn't going anywhere, letting those learn and make mistakes as young players would have more beneficial than playing two below average players past their primes

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wrong!! Dylan should have played over Girardi and Boyle all season

McIlrath is not as good as people make him out to be.

Nothing wrong making someone earn the spot. Miller got that same treatment.

Look, AV is not perfect but all coaches have their favorites (AV - Glass). AV is nowhere near as bad as some here are making it out to be.

AV isn't perfect but there is no better coach available.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I posted this earlier, but also saw that Brooksie was talking about it.

A systems adjustment. Perhaps going towards something that fits the personnel a little better.

The Rangers are no longer an elite skating team. The legs and the players with those legs are no longer here.

I think the Rangers middle into a 6th-7th place finish.

My gut instincts are that they try to play like Pitts. A zone d-structure and then just let the forwards off too the races. They'll be poor imitators but good enough that the goalies face easier nights.

The team will be treading mediocrity.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
People should really be careful not to overvalue this roster. Miller had 1 good season. Brassard and Zuccarello hit 20 goals for the first time in their career. We need them to keep it up. But I doubt all 3 can do that.

It's early in the offseason still but as of now I see a very similar team with an aging defense Corp that simply older.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's early in the offseason still but as of now I see a very similar team with an aging defense Corp that simply older.

Yandle replaced with Skjei
Boyle replaced with McIlrath
Stalberg replaced with Grabner
Moore replaced with Gerbe
E. Staal replaced with Buchnevich

Aside from Yandle, I don't see a big drop-off

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
People should really be careful not to overvalue this roster. Miller had 1 good season. Brassard and Zuccarello hit 20 goals for the first time in their career. We need them to keep it up. But I doubt all 3 can do that.

I think all 3 will probably be around 50-55 points each give or take. They are valuable players but they are not first line players. They should be a solid second line or a great 3rd line.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

You don't really think Gerbe is playing center and taking faceoffs?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

The issue to me is that the defense has almost zero ability to produce offense and help the transition. Girardi and Staal are laughable in that department, Holden doesn't seem that great at it, McIlrath is simply okay as is Klein. Our two best puck movers are McDonagh and Skjei who is a rookie. That is a MAJOR problem.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Amazing Kreiderman;120581891[B said:
McIlrath is not as good as people make him out to be.
Playing time would only help him at this point in his career. With most defensemen they need playing time to learn and grow as a player.

AV isn't perfect but there is no better coach available.

Do you have a Rolodex at your fingertips with available coaches???? Geez.:shakehead

I predict AV will be the first coach fired next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad