2016-17 season expectations

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If nothing changes, I expect a similar performance to last year. Hot start, mediocre run after said hot start, and out with a whimper after the first round. Too much of a skill gap in the East for the team not to be able to limp into the playoffs, IMO.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
- In and out of the playoffs all year, but then make it.

- Traded away a 3-5 round pick to pick up a scrub for the playoffs.

- Nash traded away for a package similar to Gaborik: a second liner, a young reclamation project, and either a role player or a 3 round pick.

- Staal or Girardi gets traded for a third pair defenseman costing around $3 and a throw-in third-tier prospect. If it's Staal, we also get a role player up front.

- First round loss.

- Lundqvist starts to slow down.

- Butcher starts in the AHL, then gets the Kreider/Miller back-and-forth treatment.

- Skjei solidifies himself as a steady NHL defenseman by the New Year.

- Graves gets a cup of coffee. So does Jensen.

- Hrivik gets several cups, but never cracks the top-12 because of Glass.

- Hartford is one of the worst teams in the AHL.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This offseason( so far) and last offseason seen to be carbon copies of each other with the game plan being literally just reshuffling players who were largely interchangeable pieces anyway and resigning RFA's and hoping they have improved years.

That made some sense for a team that was in the ECF 3 of the 4 previous years, was in the SCF 12 months earlier and was one period away from a second straight SCF. It makes no sense now because 1) the team was easily bumped in the first round; 2) the team lost a major piece in Yandle.

Bringing back essentially the same team minus a very good player does not equal greater success.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
finish 5th in the division, passed by Devils and Islanders. And they will get a top 10 draft pick. Trade one of Staal or Girardi for picks, keep Nash and expose in Expansion Draft.

Young kids get a chance 2/3 into the season.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
OK to start the year... then not much better throughout. In and out of the PO bubble all year. Buyers @ deadline as always... because... you never know :(

Same problems next off-season.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
I say 16th seed, last in the league out of playoffs by about 20 points and Gorton thinks we still have a chance, so we go all out and trade Buch, our first next 2 years, for Shattenkirk, then we let him walk at the end of the year cause we don't want to pay him 6 million for 6 years. We then think we can revitalize Girardi by having him play with Fedor Tyutin again so we trade a top prospect and 2 2nd round picks for him. Only to end up with the first overall draft pick the next 2 years which we don't have anymore cause they were traded away.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
OK to start the year... then not much better throughout. In and out of the PO bubble all year. Buyers @ deadline as always... because... you never know :(

Same problems next off-season.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Id really like to know the basis for this idea that the Rangers are these huge deadline buyers when they're just on the bubble. I mean, I remember acquiring Antropov, and McCabe and guys like that, but never for any assets that hurt the long term planning in the competitive rebuild we watched the team execute in between the two lockouts.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this team was a bubble team, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the long summer does the core some good and they are again a contender.

However, the big caveat there, is AV adjusting his system and making some tweaks. Number 1 is getting rid of Glass and making the 4th line effective. 2 is limiting Girardi's usage.

I think the roster has the talent to be good, although the defense needs another puck mover.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Seems to me that management is banking on progress from younger players (Nash, Krieder, Miller) and that other players (Girardi, Nash) do not depreciate further. Not to mention that Henke can continue to play like Superman at times.

Rather silly assumption. But I do know if nothing else changes and AV does not adjust anything within his system, it is silly to presume that there will be anything more than last year. Actually, if that happens, I would ass-u-me that it would be less.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
A slow rebuild - done in stages over the offseason and throughout the year such that it's never a fire sale, but a gradual turnover in the roster over the months, then culminating with 2-3 simultaneous moves at the deadline. The team restocks the cupboard with picks and prospects, and for once is a seller rather than a buyer at TDL – and yet, for all that, still remains a bubble team due to the quality of the younger talent. Falls just short, and winds up with a pick in the 8-12 range.

Turns over more next offseason - potentially with Hank asking for a Ray-Borque-style trade, which since it's done at his request, leaves no acrimony.

The process continues over the next season and the offseason to follow, and then is once again on the ascendancy, a good, young team in the thick of the PO mix in 2018-2019.

Hank will remain a carrier Ranger. The city of New York means more to hin than a Cup.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Honestly think we miss this year. March and April schedule is brutal. If we're not in a real good position (top 3 in east) heading into March we won't make it in.

Can't play inconsistent hockey all year and then hope to turn it on in the 2nd half like we've done plenty of times in the Lundqvist era. Won't happen this year.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They don't stink like people think that's for sure

I hope for bounce back years from staal / girardi so one can be moved. Nash should score more which will make him valuable . I think they retool eventually by moving some of thoss bodies but still make the playoffs at like 6

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think if they keep everything in place (and maybe add someone on the cheap at the deadline for a 3rdish) they are a 5-9th place team.

I am hopeful they actually ship a piece or two out at the TDL. May be unrealistic but it is my hope.

This is also predicated on recognizing how foolish the current D system is. If they play like they did last year minus Yandle I'd peg them at 7-11th in the Conf.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
defense

were in serious trouble here.

we subtract our best offensive dman and add really no one of any import. weve done nothing to date to address our lack of scoring from the blue line and without a guy like ky back there, our pp cannot improve.

the remaining guys return less boyle and add holden.

mcd
klein
staal
girardi
skjei
mcilrath
holden

i see nothing here that makes me feel better starting the season.

forwards

we lack both size and skill up front.

nash- plays small
kreider- doesnt play large
brass
step
zuk- plays big but is small
miller- best overall 2way forward
hayes- zzzzz
buchnevich- unknown but highly skilled

the rest.....

the forward core isn't terrible at all. just not overly skilled and creative and sadly lacking anyone who shoots it or can finish.

as it stands right now, we arent better than the top 4 teams in the east and teams like the devs, buf and cbus are getting better.

bubble team all season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hank will remain a carrier Ranger. The city of New York means more to hin than a Cup.
Based on......? What/ Do not underestimate a competitor's (especially one like Henke) nature.

Also, even if true. It may very well come to be that trading him is better for the franchise.

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
Honestly I don't think we will be bad. We will be the same if not better. Hear me out.

Last year we were:

GAA 5v5: 6th Best
GF 5v5: 3rd Best
PP %: 14th Best
PK%: 26th Best

Our problem last year was our penalty killing. We were great at 5v5, average on the PP, but the PK absolutely sucked. It seems we have addressed that problem with Grabner and Gerbe and not resigning Moore. I still want us to sign Spaling, perfect 4th center that kills penalties, is defensively responsible, and plays with grit. We'd have Stepan, Lindberg, Gerbe, Grabner, Fast, and Nash killing penalties. Not a bad group.

Now we lost Yandle, so we will obviously be worse off on the PP and a little bit at even strength.

But I think we will be fine.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I don't think we will be bad. We will be the same if not better. Hear me out.

Last year we were:

GAA 5v5: 6th Best
GF 5v5: 3rd Best
PP %: 14th Best
PK%: 26th Best

Our problem last year was our penalty killing. We were great at 5v5, average on the PP, but the PK absolutely sucked. It seems we have addressed that problem with Grabner and Gerbe and not resigning Moore. I still want us to sign Spaling, perfect 4th center that kills penalties, is defensively responsible, and plays with grit. We'd have Stepan, Lindberg, Gerbe, Grabner, Fast, and Nash killing penalties. Not a bad group.

Now we lost Yandle, so we will obviously be worse off on the PP and a little bit at even strength.

But I think we will be fine.

Lose Yandle, Add Clendening Net Huge Loss

Lose Moore, Add Grabner. Net...push...maybe a win..but not by much

Lose Stalberg, Add Gerbe. Net, huge loss.

Lose Boyle, Add Skjei. Net..unknown....Skjei is still a rookie, dont forget that.

We got substantially worse.

EDIT let me also add that in all likelyhood Buchnevich is the guy replacing Stalberg...i get that...but i have zero stats to show for buch...so...yeah.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
our crappy crappy crappy defense got substantially worse...im amazed how many people completely ignore this and think we'll be ok.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I suspect we'll add one puck-moving defensemen and maybe another top 9 winger before the season begins.
But if the season were to start today, I'd have us at 4th/5th in the conference.
Nash bounces back, Kreider, Miller & Hayes continue to improve, Buchnevich & Skjei have stellar rookie seasons

Nash - 80
Zuccarello - 76
Brassard - 70
Stepan - 68
Kreider - 63
Buchnevich - 58
Miller - 51
McDonagh - 47
Hayes - 46
Klein - 39
Lindberg - 37
Grabner - 31
Skjei - 28
Fast - 26
Staal - 23
Girardi - 19
McIlrath - 16

Looks like you added an average of 10 points per player.

Zuccarello gets 76 points?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lose Yandle, Add Clendening Net Huge Loss

Lose Moore, Add Grabner. Net...push...maybe a win..but not by much

Lose Stalberg, Add Gerbe. Net, huge loss.

Lose Boyle, Add Skjei. Net..unknown....Skjei is still a rookie, dont forget that.

We got substantially worse.

EDIT let me also add that in all likelyhood Buchnevich is the guy replacing Stalberg...i get that...but i have zero stats to show for buch...so...yeah.

I honestly thought Grabner was the Stalberg replacement. Not Gerbe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad