2016-17 season expectations

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
IMO I'm not too fond of the roster we have, especially defensively.. I don't think Hank can carry us like he once did.

My expectations-
-I'm expecting to be in the bottom 10.
-Rick Nash, Marc Staal and Derek Stepan to get traded throughout the season.
-Buchnevich having a solid season 20-20-40
-Ryan Graves finally established himself.

C : offensively
C- : defensively
A- : goaltending

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
latest

My prediction: pain.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If Lundqvist is healthy, we squeak in the playoffs, 8th place. We don't trade anyone at the deadline this means. Then lose in the first round again.

If he gets injured for a month+, we miss the playoffs...9th-10th place finish.

Rather us just have a brutal season, trade away older parts at the deadline for youth, and get a top draft pick. Take it from there. I can live with a bad season if it means the start of a new era for us. I don't want 5 years of mediocre hockey.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Lundqvist will continue to be dominant and get almost no recognition for it.

The defense will improve slightly overall with the influx of kids, but there will be adjustments and learning curves. This is also dependent on how AV/JB handle them. If Girardi or Staal are seeing 18+ minutes a night I don't think it improves at all.

Offense will remain the same or drop slightly.

The PK will improve, the PP will stay the same or get worse.

Overall: Miss the playoffs or another 1st round exit.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I expect a mediocre team to start followed by either a coaching change, a huge trade, or both and then a surprising Cinderella run to the cup :D

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Well right now the team is basically the same with possibly better 3rd and 4th lines and a huge loss in Yandle on defense (and probably a gain by losing Boyle on defense).

You have to expect Nash will have a much better regular season as long as he's healthy. Hayes and Miller could take another step forward up front but you may not see Brassard and Zuccarello match their numbers from last year. Girardi and Staal may be a tad better just because they were so horrendous next year. Maybe the rest, especially for Girardi, does benefit him.

PK should be improved if for any reason than it can't get any worse. PP I'd expect to be worse with no Yandle.

Based off the current roster, I'm with everyone else saying they're a bubble team that may or may not make it and would get knocked out in round 1. They're great in goal, good up front, and a dumpster fire on defense. The defense is slow, has tons of miles on them, doesn't produce offense, and can't transition the puck which is a necessity in this system. Caps and Pens are undoubtedly better than them; the Devils, Hurricanes, and Blue Jackets will all be better than they were last year; Isles took a step back so far IMO but are still probably better based on talent; and then the Flyers are just there.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
10th place in the East, 6th in the Metro

Only Carolina, Columbus, Toronto, and Ottawa finish below us.

11th overall pick.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully we miss and we are sellers at the deadline and can accumulate some good picks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Start decent, slow down majorly leading to AV's dismissal, decent turnaround, make the playoffs, win a round or two, go into next year with a better coach and some good young pieces - somewhat justifiable high hopes

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anywhere from 6th to 12th in the east. As currently constructed I don't see us a legit contender.

Whatever else he does Gorton should not trade our first round pick.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Middle of the pack, but a playoff team. Perhaps we win a series depending on the matchup. 15th pick.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Miss the playoffs?
The Rangers are not broken, broke or pathetic last I checked.
Resetting does not mean you should suck.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
This is a playoff team. What seed, I don't know, but we've got a ton of scoring depth, a top 5 goalie, and a defense that has Skjei/McIlrath/Graves starting to move into the starting lineup. We lost Yandle but we're also "losing" Boyle, so it's almost a wash when you replace them with the young guys. The bottom six will be much better and guys like Miller/Stepan/Kreider/Hayes/Fast/Lindberg/Hrivik will likely continue to improve. Buchnevich/Tambellini/Jensen/Fogarty/Gropp all have chances to earn some time.

This team would have beat the Stanley Cup champions with a better series than Hank and I don't buy that it's impossible that we'll make it out of the first round. I honestly feel like some of you would rather the team do bad because you use the team as your outlet for frustration and negativity.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A bubble playoff team and it absolutely CAN'T get to that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad