2016-17 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Colorado Eagles (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He should be in the NHL where its safer.

I honestly feel like that's overblown. I don't think the chances of injury are realisticly that much more in the AHL for young players than the NHL. Maybe a little bit, but not nearly as much as people think.

The faster speed of the game in the NHL has to level the playing field at least somewhat for young players as well. Much less time to prepare for hits, get their head up, and see when they're in danger so they can protect themselves, compared to the AHL. Rookies get injured in the NHL all the time because of this.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I honestly feel like that's overblown. I don't think the chances of injury are realisticly that much more in the AHL for young players than the NHL. Maybe a little bit, but not nearly as much as people think.

The faster speed of the game in the NHL has to level the playing field at least somewhat for young players as well. Much less time to prepare for hits, get their head up, and see when they're in danger so they can protect themselves, compared to the AHL. Rookies get injured in the NHL all the time because of this.

It's not overblown. There's injuries all the time in the AHL. There's times when half a dozen regulars can be injured. The rampage went through a stretch where they were coming out of every game with one new injury and that continued on for a month. The guys there are just as big and fast, they might not be able to make plays as fast but they can hit just as damn fast, it's scramblier so the play is a bit more reckless and unpredictable, guys aren't in the right spots and then on top of it guys get run much more often. I thought Mikko was going to die every game he played there, it was that bad. To make it through that league without an injury is a big miracle. There only been 2-3 regulars who haven't had an injury. Greer only missed one game, which is remarkable for a guy his age.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The biggest difference between the AHL & NHL isn't the speed the skaters skate, it's the speed with which the puck moves & the precision with which everything happens. AHLers can fly around plenty fast enough to cause a lot of collisions & bodies flying all over the place.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not overblown. There's injuries all the time in the AHL. There's times when half a dozen regulars can be injured. The rampage went through a stretch where they were coming out of every game with one new injury and that continued on for a month. The guys there are just as big and fast, they might not be able to make plays as fast but they can hit just as damn fast, it's scramblier so the play is a bit more reckless and unpredictable, guys aren't in the right spots and then on top of it guys get run much more often. I thought Mikko was going to die every game he played there, it was that bad. To make it through that league without an injury is a big miracle. There only been 2-3 regulars who haven't had an injury. Greer only missed one game, which is remarkable for a guy his age.

The speed of the game in the AHL isn't nearly as fast as the NHL. It's a huge difference. Everyone notices it when they get called up. The speed of play is what accounts for how much time you have to prepare yourself for hits.

Half a dozen regulars get injured on NHL teams all the time. The Pens have a bunch of key guys out right now. The Avs have been fairly lucky in that department lately, but they've had years where half the team is out.

Players are more reckless and don't respect their opponents as much in the AHL, but the same can be said for major junior. Players have to avoid the same kind of craziness there. Only difference is it's a little faster in the AHL, and it's against men.

Take away some of the craziness in the NHL, and speed up the game even more, and I really think it evens out more than you think.

If you look at other young players in the NHL, they have their fair share of injuries as well. It's not like they're that much safer.

McDavid broke his collarbone on a dangerous play that Brandon Manning claims was intentional. Laine was totally unprepared with his head down and took that nasty hit from McCabe that concussed him. Zacha was concussed earlier this year after a hit from Brassard.

Landy took that huge hit from Stuart in his sophomore year that he was unprepared for, and was concussed for a long time from it. He said he saw him coming, then looked down at the puck for a second, and that's all he remembered.

The speed of the game causes a fair amount of injuries for young players in the NHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Has Greer hit the wall?

2G in his last 20 gm...

Eh, yes and no. He's on a line with AHL contracted players now, they are as bad as the Avs in scoring and on the PP. There just isn't much to glean looking at the score sheet, he's still second on the team in points. I guess they've decided to now start working on his defensive game, I really don't know what they are trying to do with him. They talk about him focusing on playing physical. Idk.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Eh, yes and no. He's on a line with AHL contracted players now, they are as bad as the Avs in scoring and on the PP. There just isn't much to glean looking at the score sheet, he's still second on the team in points. I guess they've decided to now start working on his defensive game, I really don't know what they are trying to do with him. They talk about him focusing on playing physical. Idk.

Do we have a problem with the AHL coaching, again?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It appears that AJ Greer is not in the lineup tonight for the Rampage.

Just read the tweet by Weiss - apparently Greer is a healthy scratch.

I am trying to remain positive, but it seems increasingly difficult.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
It appears that AJ Greer is not in the lineup tonight for the Rampage.

Just read the tweet by Weiss - apparently Greer is a healthy scratch.

I am trying to remain positive, but it seems increasingly difficult.

Please be because he's on his way to Denver

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014
Avs have two more call ups allowed. Should they be bringing up anyone to help in a trade scenario or just to see where someone is at in terms of "potential" for next season?

Plain Sane

Aug 14, 2016
Avs have two more call ups allowed. Should they be bringing up anyone to help in a trade scenario or just to see where someone is at in terms of "potential" for next season?

Pretty sure they only have 1 callup left and they may not know or care about that at this point. There really isn't a strong candidate unless they call Duncan up for a goof.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I personally don't think Greer has been that great of late in the games that I have watched. I think there is a bit of the rookie wall happening, and that is causing some of the details of the game to be missed. I really don't think his play has been bad, but thinking like a coach, I can see just the little details being missed and that a scratch might be necessary to give him a little jolt. I wouldn't read into it.

Right now I don't see much point of a callup. I wouldn't mind one by any means, but I don't see a huge point either. If I was choosing somebody, I'd say it should be Grimaldi. Yeah he is small and has defensive issues, but put him on the Landy-Duchene line and see what happens for 4-5 games (if they NEED to call anybody up).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Grimaldi n Dunk seem like most reasonable call ups. The organization will have to make a decision about them in the summer; so finding out if they are just A+ ahlers or if they can actually contribute in the NHL, could be useful.

Though ideally I'd like to see both back purely as cornerstones for the Rampage.

Plain Sane

Aug 14, 2016
Grimaldi n Dunk seem like most reasonable call ups. The organization will have to make a decision about them in the summer; so finding out if they are just A+ ahlers or if they can actually contribute in the NHL, could be useful.

Though ideally I'd like to see both back purely as cornerstones for the Rampage.

Rocco's in the running for the top goal scorer in the AHL. With team accomplishments at nil for the season it would be nice to see him stay in San Antonio and find some personal success. It's a moot point anyway if the Jost signing counts as the Avs final transaction.

I'd love to see both Siemens and Grimaldi back with the org net year. Rocco's the AHL scorer the Avs wanted when they signed Whitney & Sislo. Duncan is the de facto captain now and a more solid vet defenseman than Clark or Gervais or any of the other outsiders they've brought in to inflict leadership on the prospects. Add Big Sam Henley to the AHL leadership core and the org might finally start getting some continuity and invested vets rather than mercenaries.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Is there any chance that the Avs send a few guys down to SA after the season is over, or is this even possible? With the AHL season lasting one week longer, I'm just wondering if this could happen, thus allowing a few guys to be sent down to the Eagles before playoffs start (ECHL season ends the same time as NHL).
Thanks

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is there any chance that the Avs send a few guys down to SA after the season is over, or is this even possible? With the AHL season lasting one week longer, I'm just wondering if this could happen, thus allowing a few guys to be sent down to the Eagles before playoffs start (ECHL season ends the same time as NHL).
Thanks

Yes they can, more would happen if there were playoffs in the AHL but there might be a couple. I think Jeremy Smith will. I actually think Jost is not allowed to since he went to NHL first. Compher and Lindholm are possible too. And yes I think they will start letting guys go back to the Eagles as soon as after next week. I expect Belzile, St Amant, Nantel and maybe Geertsen and Boikov. Rampage have much more forward than defense depth right now so I think you'd get them in pretty much that order.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rocco's in the running for the top goal scorer in the AHL. With team accomplishments at nil for the season it would be nice to see him stay in San Antonio and find some personal success. It's a moot point anyway if the Jost signing counts as the Avs final transaction.

I'd love to see both Siemens and Grimaldi back with the org net year. Rocco's the AHL scorer the Avs wanted when they signed Whitney & Sislo. Duncan is the de facto captain now and a more solid vet defenseman than Clark or Gervais or any of the other outsiders they've brought in to inflict leadership on the prospects. Add Big Sam Henley to the AHL leadership core and the org might finally start getting some continuity and invested vets rather than mercenaries.

That is the dream *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad