2016-17 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Colorado Eagles (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Indeed. He didn't get the chance Blandisi did to get out of our system after junior and I think his development has been squandered. I hope for his sake he can do ok in another system but I suspect too many key years have been wasted.

Not like that did Blandisi much good.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For all the talk of the Avs giving up on prospects, or how they'd do better in another organization, none of them have amounted to anything since leaving.

As far as I can tell, these are the prospects the Avs have either let walk or traded under the Sakic regime. None of them have become real NHLers.

Thomas Vincour
Luke Walker
Michael Clarke
Joesph Blandisi
Kent Patterson
Kieran Millan
Mark Olver
Brad Malone
Karl Stollery
Michael Sgarbossa
Jordan Caron
Stefan Elliott
Freddie Hamilton
Dennis Everberg
Borna Rendulic
Ben Street
Maxim Noreau
Brandon Gormley
Colin Smith
Conner Bleackley
Kyle Wood
Gabriel Beaupre
Trevor Cheek
Garret Meurs
Roman Will
Ryan Stanton
Joe Whitney
Cody Corbett

Sgarbossa's had a cup of coffee that he hasn't done anything with. Blandisi's bounced back and forth between the NHL and the AHL the last two years. Malone was back in the AHL all of last year. Bleackley hasn't looked good in the AHL, and was down in the ECHL at the end of the year until their season ended and he was called back up. Maybe he finds his way to the NHL at some point, but I'd say Wood might be the only guy left that has a good shot, and even he has yet to play an NHL game.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Blandisi has had a decent showing for a seventh round pick, for what that's worth. Most of those never touch NHL ice even for offensively starved clubs like New Jersey. Still though, your point stands. One borderline NHL player in that whole bunch, with the jury still out on Wood.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A prospect's destiny isn't set at the moment they are drafted. Development factors in. So do other circumstances like opportunity. It's impossible to know what could have been somewhere else but when certain prospects have the talent to do something and seem to fizzle out without showing much development or clear reason for why it didn't happen, that leads you to wonder.

As far as the list, every org has a list of those who failed to do much of anything. Plus there's varying degrees of why each of them was brought in and why they left. However contributing for the org at the AHL level shouldn't be discounted either, it's part of that whole development issue. I'd say the bigger successes on the list got out early on more often than not rather than guys who went through 3-4 years here before moving on. And even then there's guys who keep popping up in other orgs as NHL callup depth. But I'll leave it at that before it just turns into another circular argument like the other thread has.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A prospect's destiny isn't set at the moment they are drafted. Development factors in. So do other circumstances like opportunity. It's impossible to know what could have been somewhere else but when certain prospects have the talent to do something and seem to fizzle out without showing much development or clear reason for why it didn't happen, that leads you to wonder.

As far as the list, every org has a list of those who failed to do much of anything. Plus there's varying degrees of why each of them was brought in and why they left. However contributing for the org at the AHL level shouldn't be discounted either, it's part of that whole development issue. I'd say the bigger successes on the list got out early on more often than not rather than guys who went through 3-4 years here before moving on. And even then there's guys who keep popping up in other orgs as NHL callup depth. But I'll leave it at that before it just turns into another circular argument like the other thread has.

Cameron Gaunce is currently on Pit's roster if no one has noticed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cameron Gaunce is currently on Pit's roster if no one has noticed.

True, he's still a fringe NHLer though. He's 27 years old and the 12 NHL games he played this year were his first. It's a good story for him though. He had a lot of promise early on.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
True, he's still a fringe NHLer though. He's 27 years old and the 12 NHL games he played this year were his first. It's a good story for him though. He had a lot of promise early on.

Yeah I just thought it was interesting considering the discussion. Quite a few people thought he had a NHL future here.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah I just thought it was interesting considering the discussion. Quite a few people thought he had a NHL future here.

He's a perfect example of taking post draft years in junior with a grain of salt. Especially from defenseman. He looked to have all the tools. He was a physical two way defenseman that won best defensive defenseman in his conference, and also was voted the second or third best (can't remember) offensive defenseman, and smartest defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad