Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVIII | Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Maybe you haven't heard of this little annoyance coming up called the expansion draft....

Ayyyy oooooo!!!!
GOT EM!
Although he wants to protect Olli over Dumo.

I just can't do that though. You either can skate and be physical or you can't.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If you could sombehow package Maata to trade for Trouba I would head over heels happy.

Trouba is exactly what this team needs for a second cup run. Not sure how likely that is, but this is the dreaming thread.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
pens have the material to defend the cup when healthy. We will see by April what is what. But I don't see the need to mortgage the future here. Schultz to me is preferable and is cheaper and quite frankly fits the Pens style. The cost of a rentals is high and I am not giving up Guentzel, Sprong or number 1 pick here. Pens have one issue MAF. Handle that and that and use the money to augment and sign the RFA's. Dumo, Sheary, Rust and Schultz. Pens will have enough cap room with getting MAF off the books to do that.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I think anyone who thinks that the expansion draft will factor significantly into what they do or don't do at the deadline is way off base. Rutherford will do what we can to win now and worry about who he might lose in the expansion draft later.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
pens have the material to defend the cup when healthy. We will see by April what is what. But I don't see the need to mortgage the future here. Schultz to me is preferable and is cheaper and quite frankly fits the Pens style. The cost of a rentals is high and I am not giving up Guentzel, Sprong or number 1 pick here. Pens have one issue MAF. Handle that and that and use the money to augment and sign the RFA's. Dumo, Sheary, Rust and Schultz. Pens will have enough cap room with getting MAF off the books to do that.

If that gets us MD then I'll be more than happy to give that up. Sprong is completely unproven and the 1st is very low in a weak draft. Guentzel would give me pause but I would still do it. Now if they ask for both and the 1st then JR should walk away.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think anyone who thinks that the expansion draft will factor significantly into what they do or don't do at the deadline is way off base. Rutherford will do what we can to win now and worry about who he might lose in the expansion draft later.

I don't think it will be the only factor, but it should be A factor. He won't sell off Maatta for pick because of the expansion draft, but I bet he's more open to trading him for a guy like Duchene because of the expansion draft.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
And honestly, I think management realizes that catching the Capitals matters A LOT given the structure of the playoffs. Having to go through CBJ/NYR and then WAS is a hell of a lot tougher than playing the Islanders or Leafs or Senators first, not to mention having home ice against the Caps. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can really see them going for a big deal in an effort to try to get the 1-seed.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I don't think it will be the only factor, but it should be A factor. He won't sell off Maatta for pick because of the expansion draft, but I bet he's more open to trading him for a guy like Duchene because of the expansion draft.

Sure. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he'd hesitate to acquire someone out of fear of losing that player or that player causing them to lose an existing player in the draft.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
And honestly, I think management realizes that catching the Capitals matters A LOT given the structure of the playoffs. Having to go through CBJ/NYR and then WAS is a hell of a lot tougher than playing the Islanders or Leafs or Senators first, not to mention having home ice against the Caps. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can really see them going for a big deal in an effort to try to get the 1-seed.

I think the hope is more to fall to WC1 and go throught the atlantic. This way we dont face a metro team until the conference finals.

Mad Brills*

Leafs fan here - fehr could be a 4C upgrade on smith.

What would you guys give up with him to entice the leafs taking on his contract?

Fehr + X for what?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ayyyy oooooo!!!!
GOT EM!
Although he wants to protect Olli over Dumo.

I just can't do that though. You either can skate and be physical or you can't.

Of course he does... stats, something about stats... stats...

Dumo plays on their top pair, and Maatta is an oft-injured defender that is currently hurt again.

Big mystery which guy gets protected and which guy gets moved.

What would you guys give up with him to entice the leafs taking on his contract?

Fehr + X for what?

Uh, the Leafs incentive would be to give a middle pick and get a good fourth line pivot.

JR isn't giving any incentive picks to have another team take a pretty damn useful player (when he's played at pivot and not wing)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you could sombehow package Maata to trade for Trouba I would head over heels happy.

Trouba is exactly what this team needs for a second cup run. Not sure how likely that is, but this is the dreaming thread.

The only issue with Trouba is that he's a RD, when the Penguins would need a LD if they're trading Maatta. I know Trouba can play LD, but he made a big stink about wanting to play RD last summer. He's not needed on RD with Letang and Schultz long term.

Fehr + X for what?

I'd trade Fehr for Hunwick. His contract is no where near big enough for me to add assets on top of him to trade him.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, should've said that the leaf might have dump ben smith purely for cap reasons (he's a UFA) on you guys if that was to happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sure. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he'd hesitate to acquire someone out of fear of losing that player or that player causing them to lose an existing player in the draft.

I hope you're wrong honestly. Though most deadline deals are for UFA's anyway.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Fehr + X for what?

Fehr's contract isn't bad and he's a good bottom 6 player. No way we'd be adding assets just to get rid of him.

If we wanted to move him for cap space there's many teams that would trade a draft pick for him.

Mad Brills*

I'd trade Fehr for Hunwick. His contract is no where near big enough for me to add assets on top of him to trade him.

I'd do that deal to. Hunwick's a decent bottom pairing dman.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah I think those are around right. I think the last one would be pretty solid for both sides, that's probably what I'd shoot for with trying to get lower.

I think that's low for Schultz and a little high for Dumoulin, but the AAVs probably add up to what they'll actually end up making. I'd be surprised for Schultz to get below $4.75 million on a long term deal and surprised for Dumoulin to get above $3.5 million on any sort of deal.

I think Schultz could go 1 of 2 ways - he could really love Pittsburgh (which he said he does), and he leaves some money on the table to get some term and win some championships. I do agree with you that he could probably get 4.75 on the open market, but I don't see a contending team paying him that. He would have to go to a middle tier team, and I do believe his taste of success here will see him strike a middle ground. He could sign a long term deal for around 4m, or we could bridge him on a 3 year deal for 4.75.

I think Dumoulin is looking at what Maatta made every day of the week. 4m. I'm pretty convinced of that.

There is a huge part of me that feels that 3-4 year deals for everyone are the way to go. It keeps everyone hungry for their next deal, and deals of that term are typically easier to trade. That being said, I believe some guys could be solutions here for a really long time and I'd like to get them locked into good rates now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad