Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Goals and Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hanzal is made of glass. No thanks to trading a first + prospect for that. Too risky.

I guess if he's as cheap a second rounder + second tier prospect then sure, but no way he will be.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Hanzal is made of glass. No thanks to trading a first + prospect for that. Too risky.

I guess if he's as cheap a second rounder + second tier prospect then sure, but no way he will be.

That's probably the sensible angle. I don't think we need to do a 1st rounder+ kind of deal this year. A lot depends on the Fleury situation as far as the cap goes of course, but I'd add a guy like Stempniak. A depth Dman I think they should definitely try to find a way to get.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Vermette being the upgrade on Bonino would be a tremendous move, it'd be the Perron for Hagelin move for this season for JR if he can swing that. I've been vocal about it enough so I won't mention why.

But yeah, if it's the Sabres, I don't really know who the Penguins would be looking at. I mean Defense in Buffalo isn't exactly ripe for the picking at all, Kulikov might be having a write off of a season, at this point, I wouldn't give them anything more than Fehr for him.

Unless the Pens are offering up a decent return for the Sabres, why would they part with Jake McCabe? The guy is signed to a fantastic deal, is 23yrs old and will get better. Franson just seems like a waste. The issue is trying to fix the first two pairings and that is no easy task. To do that, you have to improve on Dumoulin and Maatta.

Unfortunately for us, you now that someone one else will.

I could see one being moved for another young D of a similar age/ability in an attempt to change up our mix. Would be a hard trade to pull off so I won't hold my breath, but neither would it surprise me.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabres fan here. Was at the game. Actually have been to a few games at KBC where your team has been scouting the Sabres in the past month.

Don't know who or any of that. Also, a Pitt scout was Rochester a week or so ago. Just an FYI. Like I said, don't know anything else.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah just very poorly

Which Bonino are you comparing him to? The one who showed up in the 2016 playoffs, or the corpse skating around for much of the 50-odd games this season and 60-odd games last regular season?

Like I said, Vermette can't replace the 2016 playoffs version of Bonino. But he can certainly match the regular season version we're watching right now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Which Bonino are you comparing him to? The one who showed up in the 2016 playoffs, or the corpse skating around for much of the 50-odd games this season and 60-odd games last regular season?

Like I said, Vermette can't replace the 2016 playoffs version of Bonino. But he can certainly match the regular season version we're watching right now.

If we're gonna ask for "Not as bad as current Bonino and good in the face off circle", then do we really badly need an upgrade on Rowney?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Wow, Vermette can be as good as Bonino when the latter is at his absolute worst. Sign me up.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we're gonna ask for "Not as bad as current Bonino and good in the face off circle", then do we really badly need an upgrade on Rowney?

Fair question. I've been really impressed with Rowney as a depth player. Will probably always be a 4th line guy. But you still need them, and I like what I've seen from him.

On a side note, I'm happy that he's up with the team while the team is doing their Fathers Trip.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That's probably the sensible angle. I don't think we need to do a 1st rounder+ kind of deal this year. A lot depends on the Fleury situation as far as the cap goes of course, but I'd add a guy like Stempniak. A depth Dman I think they should definitely try to find a way to get.

If we give up a first and a prospect we better be getting a Duchene quality player in return. That would be the only way I could stomach it. Legit top six winger with a decent contract and relatively young? Sure. Sign me up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Except when the pens are healthy that third line should produce offense and while I like Rowneys gumption he's a 4th liner and I don't know if I want Cullen in that 3rd line role for the playoffs either.

Bones is basically living off that playoffs but the guy is so inconsistent the rest of the time it's not worth it to risk keeping him and see him continue to not produce in the playoffs too. It's about fit too. I mean forget that I mentioned vermette who skates well wins face offs and produces, you want someone that can keep up and bones sometimes looks ok but most times looks tragic out there skating and seems to have lost all of his offensive IQ.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Id trade for vermette then flip fehr.
Vermette is awesome on faceoffs. Id have him take the opening faceoff on the PK/PP and 3 on 3.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Speed is our identity. We cannot take slow players. Period. It wouldn't justify the faceoff cirlce, IMO, and I think faceoffs are such an important aspect of the game.

To beat Washington, CBJ, and/or the Rangers, you need speed. That's the only way to combat what they've created.

Bench Bonino a game and bring up Sundqvist?

Or keep using Rowney. Rowney is playing solid hockey. Or.. keep using Fehr as that 4th line with Fehr/Kunitz/Wilson was actually doing damage to teams each night.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wow, Vermette can be as good as Bonino when the latter is at his absolute worst. Sign me up.

Offensively.

I've already established that Vermette would be superior to Bonino in another important aspect of the game (ie. huge upgrade in faceoff ability). The discussion is about how the rest of Vermette's game compares to Bonino or whether he'd be a downgrade.

Are you capable of responding without the sarcastic taking of what I'm saying out of context? Or should we just end this discussion now?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just don't see a trade happening to switch out Centers.
If they're poor at FO's, Sully will just get his C's working on it/baring down on them.

I do think JR may be shopping Maatta.
2 ways of looking at a potential trade with him.

1) You get quality for real quality. ie. Maatta+ for Trouba.
or
2) You look to fill his minutes admirably right now and give you options moving forward.

ie. Olli for Kulikov@50% retained + another player or prospect gives you what you need for the playoff run + options when the seasons over with Olli's $ off the books.

I dunno but i do think that if JR is looking at this roster, the first $ player he looks to move if MAF is unmoveable right now is Maatta.
Guys like Fehr or Bones are extreme maybes for me.

Maybe JR will surprise us and is actually shopping Kunitz...
If the roster is in full health, he IS the 4th line LW right now.
Dunno.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We really need Bones to turn it around. If I had to rank who was most important in us winning the cup last year he'd be 4th on that list. Right now he doesn't even deserve a roster spot...that's a huge dropoff. Yeah guys like Schultz, Sheary, and Rust got better, as well as adding Guentzel but we still need either Bonino to play at the level he did last year or find someone else who can.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just don't see a trade happening to switch out Centers.
If they're poor at FO's, Sully will just get his C's working on it/baring down on them.

I do think JR may be shopping Maatta.
2 ways of looking at a potential trade with him.

1) You get quality for real quality. ie. Maatta+ for Trouba.
or
2) You look to fill his minutes admirably right now and give you options moving forward.

ie. Olli for Kulikov@50% retained + another player or prospect gives you what you need for the playoff run + options when the seasons over with Olli's $ off the books.

I dunno but i do think that if JR is looking at this roster, the first $ player he looks to move if MAF is unmoveable right now is Maatta.
Guys like Fehr or Bones are extreme maybes for me.

Maybe JR will surprise us and is actually shopping Kunitz...
If the roster is in full health, he IS the 4th line LW right now.
Dunno.

I haven't seen much of Kulikov in Buffalo, but his numbers don't look any better than Maatta's. He was solid in Florida, but again not some big upgrade on Maatta. So I'm not sure that's the kind of deal I'd be hoping JR makes to bolster the Pens' playoff chances. If anything, JR needs to improve upon Maatta.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I haven't seen much of Kulikov in Buffalo, but his numbers don't look any better than Maatta's. He was solid in Florida, but again not some big upgrade on Maatta. So I'm not sure that's the kind of deal I'd be hoping JR makes to bolster the Pens' playoff chances. If anything, JR needs to improve upon Maatta.

Yea, i see it that way too.
Perhaps BUF is willing to move McCabe in the deal?

Dunno.
Like i said theres alot of potential deals there between PIT/BUF.

One thing i do know is that if JR is looking at a player(non-goalie), they'll have to skate well and play with pace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad