Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Goals and Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Why? There's plenty of worse options to be our #3C next year. And they'll all likely cost more to boot.

I just dont think Vermette is any good, anymore. Im not sure hea even better than Fehr despite having a skillset more in line with what we do.

I guess a straight Fehr for Vermette swap i could live with since both player fit the other team style better but meh.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
No not if it means bringing a **** center just to win faceoffs. If the can upgrade on Bonino fine but Vermette isnt an upgrade.

Id love a Bozak-Kessel reunion but te cap hit and acquisition price seem steep for that upgrade.

Same goes for Hanzal.

Girgensons is a interesting player but hasnt done much to this point and is also horrid in the dot.

Duchene would be great but, yeah right thats not happening

What's wrong with Hanzal from a salary perspective? If we trade with a bad team for a player with any kind of salary, Kunitz is going the other way on top of whatever we "actually" give them, so it's a non-issue. Plus, while I'm not as high on Hanzal as I might've been in past seasons, we would have first crack at re-signing him.

I just dont think Vermette is any good, anymore. Im not sure hea even better than Fehr despite having a skillset more in line with what we do.

I guess a straight Fehr for Vermette swap i could live with since both player fit the other team style better but meh.

For what it's worth his numbers are right in line with Bonino's. Fehr hasn't cracked double digit points yet in 45 games.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
What's wrong with Hanzal from a salary perspective? If we trade with a bad team for a player with any kind of salary, Kunitz is going the other way on top of whatever we "actually" give them, so it's a non-issue. Plus, while I'm not as high on Hanzal as I might've been in past seasons, we would have first crack at re-signing him.

With Hanzal it was more resigning salary, and rental trade price

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Wondering if Fleury and/or Maatta could be part of a larger deal . . . both could be moved if the Pens found the right deal (and Fleury gave the okay). That's a fact. The educated guess part is Buffalo searching for a partner for Ristolainan and his history with Maatta and Buffalo needing an upgrade in goal.

Maatta played well for Bylsma and you just know that Bylsma would froth all over Fleury. Hadn't even thought of that angle.

While Buffalo would most certainly be interested in Maatta, I don't see an interest in Fleury, history with Bylsma notwithstanding. Murray paid an arm and a leg for Lehner, and though some of his advanced stats leave something to be desired, Lehner has posted a .924 SV% in his time as a Sabre. I think Murray is perfectly happy moving forward with Lehner as their starter.

The issue is what we'd have to pay for Maatta. I suppose it could be a straight hockey deal (more likely in offseason, TBH), or a rental-plus type of arrangement where we send you back Kulikov plus picks/prospects - with how fast you guys love to play, I think your brass would be interested in Bailey and Baptiste who are both burners with scoring touch.

Vermette would be a solid move.

Kulikov seems like he has reoccurring back issues. I don't see the point in paying for a player that potentially might not even be able to suit up. Let someone else do that.

I'm not sure I'd call them recurring. During the preseason he got checked into the boards and the bench door came open, and he hit his back where the door opens. He's fine for games, but Bylsma said they'll give him additional maintenance days.

Vermette being the upgrade on Bonino would be a tremendous move, it'd be the Perron for Hagelin move for this season for JR if he can swing that. I've been vocal about it enough so I won't mention why.

But yeah, if it's the Sabres, I don't really know who the Penguins would be looking at. I mean Defense in Buffalo isn't exactly ripe for the picking at all, Kulikov might be having a write off of a season, at this point, I wouldn't give them anything more than Fehr for him.

Unless the Pens are offering up a decent return for the Sabres, why would they part with Jake McCabe? The guy is signed to a fantastic deal, is 23yrs old and will get better. Franson just seems like a waste. The issue is trying to fix the first two pairings and that is no easy task. To do that, you have to improve on Dumoulin and Maatta.

I can't see McCabe being available. We need to find an additional long-term piece to play the top-4 on the left side. Murray has always seemed enamored with McCabe, and he's made big strides each year.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I would happily do a Lindholm for Maatta swap or keep Olli and try to sell them on Dumoulin +.

By all (of their fans) accounts, the Ducks seem like they are going to go 7+3 for the expansion draft protection and that Vatanen is going to be the trade casualty, for a forward. I also wouldnt be against swapping Olli one-for-one, but on the Ducks end it would make no sense. And it would possibly put us in an event tighter bind (re: a bribe payment to Vegas) when it comes to protecting Letang, Dumo, Schultz and someone of the caliber of Vatanen.

Now, if we can somehow get through the Ex draft keeping Olli and then make a one-for-one deal, I'd be all on board with that idea.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kulikov, assuming healthy enough for the grind, is a nice type of buy low, high upside trade. Like Schultz last year, you may be able to get him for cheap, use him in a depth role, sign cheap short term deal in the summer and profit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kulikov isn't a guy I have any interest in if we're talking about moving Maatta. If we're moving Maatta, we need a guy that is younger, more cost controlled and better than Kulikov. McCabe has to be coming back if we're moving Maatta, and I really doubt the Sabres would be interested in doing that.

If Kulikov agrees to an extension beforehand, maybe that's something I look closer at. However, as it currently is, I wouldn't consider that at all.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kulikov isn't a guy I have any interest in if we're talking about moving Maatta. If we're moving Maatta, we need a guy that is younger, more cost controlled and better than Kulikov. McCabe has to be coming back if we're moving Maatta, and I really doubt the Sabres would be interested in doing that.

If Kulikov agrees to an extension beforehand, maybe that's something I look closer at. However, as it currently is, I wouldn't consider that at all.

I'm talking about Kulikov as a rental in addition to Maatta. He plays sparingly and then depending on performance and desire to stay, you may be able to move Maatta pre expansion and sign Kulikov after.

Regardless of expansion, Kulikov could be a nice depth addition that can fill in as a top 4 in the playoffs.

The Pens would need to move Fleury either to Buffalo or somewhere else to make the salary work though. I don't really see why Buff wants Fleury, but let's assume they do. Fleury for Kulikov + Nilsson could be the basis of a deal.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
With Hanzal it was more resigning salary, and rental trade price

I have been a fan of Hanzal since the trade of Staal, really like that big, 3C. The problem with Hanzal is his reoccurring health issues with his back. Still, he is a definite upgrade over Bonino. It is too bad Seattle/Portland, I mean Arizona has no need for a LHD, because this would be a great place to use Pouliot in a deal with Bonino. Not sure they'd have any interest in Kunitz.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Maatta is 22. They dont get much younger than that :P

I agree with you though. Kulikov is not the answer if the Maatta is going out. Maatta has better value than that.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He's in the downswing of his career (34), but he still has some scoring touch. He scored a handful of goals with the Hawks when they last won the Cup. I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring him for the 4th line/PK. However, the Duck still view themselves as Cup contenders, and most likely want to keep him.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I have been a fan of Hanzal since the trade of Staal, really like that big, 3C. The problem with Hanzal is his reoccurring health issues with his back. Still, he is a definite upgrade over Bonino. It is too bad Seattle/Portland, I mean Arizona has no need for a LHD, because this would be a great place to use Pouliot in a deal with Bonino. Not sure they'd have any interest in Kunitz.

Pouliot's gotta have some obscure advanced stat that makes him attractive to Arizona's GM :sarcasm:

Somewhat related but somewhat off topic, but I personally think Pouliot has very little value these days. #talkingpoint

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought Vermette was basically a non factor in the Hawks cup win, but they won so I guess he did something right. Honestly, I don't really see him as an upgrade on Bonino nor do I see why Anaheim wants to trade him. They will be in the playoffs too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought Vermette was basically a non factor in the Hawks cup win, but they won so I guess he did something right. Honestly, I don't really see him as an upgrade on Bonino nor do I see why Anaheim wants to trade him. They will be in the playoffs too.

I think Bonino played at a level last playoffs that Vermette can't match, but I think this season's version of Bonino is a step down from what Vermette brings. They're both good defensively, but Vermette can dominate in the faceoff dot. And honestly, Bonino's been crap offensively this year, so I don't think Vermette would have to do much to be on par with him offensively.

As Warm Cookies said, the lack of faceoff winning will end up biting the Pens. Crosby's having a down year, Geno's Geno, and Bonino's well below 50%. You can't rely on Cullen being your only guy capable of winning more than 50% of your draws and expect to dominate possession. So adding Vermette over Bonino would help in at least one crucial aspect.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pouliot's gotta have some obscure advanced stat that makes him attractive to Arizona's GM :sarcasm:

Somewhat related but somewhat off topic, but I personally think Pouliot has very little value these days. #talkingpoint

Probably true to most teams, but there's gotta be someone out there hurting for puck moving prospects and willing to take a punt on a fixer-upper.

That said, my guess is Pouliot is still here next season because I think you're right enough that no one's going to give us enough to move him. Who knows? Maybe this is the year he gets a run while he's got some confidence and we just leave him there and it happens #deludedoptimist

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Probably true to most teams, but there's gotta be someone out there hurting for puck moving prospects and willing to take a punt on a fixer-upper.

That said, my guess is Pouliot is still here next season because I think you're right enough that no one's going to give us enough to move him. Who knows? Maybe this is the year he gets a run while he's got some confidence and we just leave him there and it happens #deludedoptimist

There probably is, but the chances are the return will be a similarly flawed/near bust prospect who that team has given up on as well.

Pouliot's best chance of regaining value for the Pens is if he actually turns it around while still on the Pens. If he's traded, the return is going to be minimal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There probably is, but the chances are the return will be a similarly flawed/near bust prospect who that team has given up on as well.

Pouliot's best chance of regaining value for the Pens is if he actually turns it around while still on the Pens. If he's traded, the return is going to be minimal.

True dat, but given how well Schultz went, I'm feeling very bullish about taking other teams' flawed prospects :laugh:

Tbh, if it wasn't for the fact it feels like he just needs to play somewhere else, I'd be feeling pretty bullish about Pouliot making it after all.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
By all (of their fans) accounts, the Ducks seem like they are going to go 7+3 for the expansion draft protection and that Vatanen is going to be the trade casualty, for a forward. I also wouldnt be against swapping Olli one-for-one, but on the Ducks end it would make no sense. And it would possibly put us in an event tighter bind (re: a bribe payment to Vegas) when it comes to protecting Letang, Dumo, Schultz and someone of the caliber of Vatanen.

Now, if we can somehow get through the Ex draft keeping Olli and then make a one-for-one deal, I'd be all on board with that idea.

Out of that, I would possibly expose Dumoulin and risk that if that was our situation with getting someone of the caliber of Vatanen/Lindholm.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I think they were scratching him, iirc. Maybe not every game, but he was definitely healthy scratched more than once.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Bonino played at a level last playoffs that Vermette can't match, but I think this season's version of Bonino is a step down from what Vermette brings. They're both good defensively, but Vermette can dominate in the faceoff dot. And honestly, Bonino's been crap offensively this year, so I don't think Vermette would have to do much to be on par with him offensively.

As Warm Cookies said, the lack of faceoff winning will end up biting the Pens. Crosby's having a down year, Geno's Geno, and Bonino's well below 50%. You can't rely on Cullen being your only guy capable of winning more than 50% of your draws and expect to dominate possession. So adding Vermette over Bonino would help in at least one crucial aspect.

And to be clear, it's not like Vermette has to permanently replace Bonino or anything, but he gives us another option if Bonino keeps playing like garbage. Why wouldn't we want a faceoff ace in our back pocket?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
And to be clear, it's not like Vermette has to permanently replace Bonino or anything, but he gives us another option if Bonino keeps playing like garbage. Why wouldn't we want a faceoff ace in our back pocket?

If face off is all your looking for I'm sure mike zigsomantis is still bumming around somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad