Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIX | Something, Something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
No. Pictures and gifs are more likely to get deleted because of the extra little bit of bandwidth they use. Which is why the avis are turned off right now, along with a couple of other features. They've made sure extra servers are available to handle the load, believe it or not. They've pretty much done everything they can at this point short of migrating the site.

Cool and thanks. there's some good news at least.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't care what other teams do. JR should focus on what's best for the Pens, not panicking and acquiring dudes because the other team loaded up.

Exactly. Shero played that game in 2013 and we still got smoked by Boston.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It has been my understanding that JR hasn't wanted to go beyond the no brainer deal and that Sakic has wanted your deal (Degen suggested it was Sprong, Guentzel, or Sheary, and I've heard that version too).

Here's the part that scares me: If you get Duchene and run Sheary-Sid-Duchene, I'm not sure I like either Jake-Geno-Horny or HBK enough right now to really exploit a Washington. If it were me, I'd run Horny with Sid and Sheary and be targeting a LW for Geno.

We'll see . . . I don't see JR shrugging his shoulders and standing pat. Not his style.
The only way I am ok with a deal that includes Maatta, Sprong, Jarry, a first and possibly another prospect (pouliot or hall) is if we for Duchene and Landeskog and some salary is retained in that deal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That can't be right. Lebrun said it's less than 50% retained and I still don't think the caps beat us if we are 100%.

Last year, I knew the Pens could beat anyone in a 7 game series.

This year, I think they can beat anyone, although I have my doubts about Washington.

Here's the problem: The defense is a mess, Bonino is a bigger mess, and there hasn't been a sustainably good Malkin line without Hagelin and Kessel. You're hoping for a lot of things to crystallize. Last year, they crystallized.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Standford was a second round pick and Simon is a 5th Rd pick

Yeah, that's what I was looking at. Drafted in the second and apparently nearly made their roster out of camp? Reagardless, if the Pens are going to go in big I'm ok with that but I'd rather it be on someone other than Shattenkirk, who would likely be a pure rental.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
If JR made a panic move in trading a second for Hainsey, as some people believe; just watch what happens now. I really wonders if he stays the course, or really goes all in. His attempt at securing Hanzal tells me he is not happy with Bonino and that if we were to secure Duchene, he'd slot in as 3C. I don't know if we have the pieces or space for something nuclear, which may involve 2017 & 2018 1st. To me a nuclear reaction would be to move with both Colorado for Duchene and Buffalo for Kane & Kulikov. Or pressing Detroit for Smith. I think 2 of these 4 need to be in Black & Gold by Wednesday. Unless Tampa is willing to move Drouin. Hell we may counter with Duclair, who knows.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Capitals got Shattenkirk for very cheap, that's not good for the Penguins at all. JR better have an ace up his sleeve or something, this move makes the Caps the clear frontrunners.

So what are we going to pay for Kulikov tomorrow??

Don't even bother, that's a waste of assets to do that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Last year, I knew the Pens could beat anyone in a 7 game series.

This year, I think they can beat anyone, although I have my doubts about Washington.

Here's the problem: The defense is a mess, Bonino is a bigger mess, and there hasn't been a sustainably good Malkin line without Hagelin and Kessel. You're hoping for a lot of things to crystallize. Last year, they crystallized.

When did things crystallize last year?

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
It has been my understanding that JR hasn't wanted to go beyond the no brainer deal and that Sakic has wanted your deal (Degen suggested it was Sprong, Guentzel, or Sheary, and I've heard that version too).

Here's the part that scares me: If you get Duchene and run Sheary-Sid-Duchene, I'm not sure I like either Jake-Geno-Horny or HBK enough right now to really exploit a Washington. If it were me, I'd run Horny with Sid and Sheary and be targeting a LW for Geno.

We'll see . . . I don't see JR shrugging his shoulders and standing pat. Not his style.

Is there a good enough LW we could get that's worth something around Maatta? I guess Kane.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yea this board universally was fine with a 1st for him. A 2nd in 2018 and a middling prospect turned you off?

I'll wait for JR.

PensArmy

Feb 11, 2017
If JR made a panic move in trading a second for Hainsey, as some people believe; just watch what happens now. I really wonders if he stays the course, or really goes all in. His attempt at securing Hanzal tells me he is not happy with Bonino and that if we were to secure Duchene, he'd slot in as 3C. I don't know if we have the pieces or space for something nuclear, which may involve 2017 & 2018 1st. To me a nuclear reaction would be to move with both Colorado for Duchene and Buffalo for Kane & Kulikov. Or pressing Detroit for Smith. I think 2 of these 4 need to be in Black & Gold by Wednesday. Unless Tampa is willing to move Drouin. Hell we may counter with Duclair, who knows.

Are you saying get both Kane and Duchene??

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Capitals got Shattenkirk for very cheap, that's not good for the Penguins at all. JR better have an ace up his sleeve or something, this move makes the Caps the clear frontrunners.

Don't even bother, that's a waste of assets to do that.

Ha you have a different definition of very cheap than I do.

PensArmy

Feb 11, 2017
Sanford is a big body LW power forward who is a top 10 prospect in their system. Still pretty raw but has some potential.

I think it's over payment but that's me, let's see what comes out in the wash I guess there's conditions on the 2nd Rd pk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad