Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIX | Something, Something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Probably a bit OT here, because I don't think MAF makes perfect sense for them either, but the Flames are not handling this goalie thing well at all. Hiller, Elliot, now possibly Halak. They need to decide what they want, a stopgap for a couple years, because they believe Gillies is the promised on, or an actual damn starting goalie. So far it feels like watching a play called "Flyers North."

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I really doubt the asking price of Duchene is Sprong+Maatta+Jarry+1st. If that's the package we're sending, I'd expect something else of significance coming back in addition to Duchene.

I'm perfectly fine with Maatta + Sprong/Guentzel/Jarry (preferred) + 1st, and I doubt it'd take that much to be honest.

Again, I doubt he's even moved until the summer. I just hope JR is pressing the issue hard right now, because he's a fantastic player and a fantastic fit.

I agree with you and Brooks above that it would be an overpay that I personally wouldn't commit to, but I don't think you can realistically expect a lesser package because we don't know if that's even an option at this point.

It may be that 4 piece package is the only offer we have that would beat the offered package by the Isles or whoever else comes knocking, in which case you either bite the bullet (I hope JR doesn't in this case) or move on. Sakic isn't desperate, he'll wait til the draft as you said if he has to to get exactly what he wants.

If we get Duchene and we're not dreading what we just gave up I'll be beyond surprised if the rumors of serious competing offers is true.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I believe I read on the Duchene thread that Bobby Mac said the Isles would have to part with Pulock, Barzal, 1st, Sorokin for Duchene. Honestly if I'm Sakic I take that package over Maatta, Sprong/Guentzel, 1st, Jarry.

I wouldn't blame him. However I seriously question whether NYI would actually offer that - especially Barzal/Sorokin. That's a huge package for them to give up for someone who could walk in 2.5 years.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
How do others value Jarry as a prospect? Because while I think he has value and is doing well in the AHL... I really could not care less if we moved him in a deal for someone other than a rental. My only hangup with a MD deal is moving both the 1st and Sprong, as I think we need one or the other going forward so we still have (or have the chance at having) cheap effective forwards/players 3+ years from now.

I was pretty much where you are at until Pierre sang his praises on TV recently. People may laugh but Pierre actually watches these guys, and watches them all. Of course he talks up a lot of guys I guess.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wouldn't blame him. However I seriously question whether NYI would actually offer that - especially Barzal/Sorokin. That's a huge package for them to give up for someone who could walk in 2.5 years.

They have to do something to give Tavares a reason to stay. Maybe he already does want to but they might feel pressure to add help for him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Staying positive. Maybe the Halak stuff is being leaked to drive down the ask on MAF.

8322354cfa93d9140f203f40df8ca2b0ee5a16ac.gif

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
How do others value Jarry as a prospect? Because while I think he has value and is doing well in the AHL... I really could not care less if we moved him in a deal for someone other than a rental. My only hangup with a MD deal is moving both the 1st and Sprong, as I think we need one or the other going forward so we still have (or have the chance at having) cheap effective forwards/players 3+ years from now.

I'd be a lot more worried about trading him if Murray hadn't turned out to be so good.

Damn, they're obsessed.

That they're talking about the Pens at this point in the season after a huge trade is pretty telling about how far in their heads the Pens have gotten.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We all said we would need a little bit of luck to unload MAF. Welp... in 24 hours we are about to see a lot of frustration and I can't say it isn't warranted. Yikes.

I'm not that frustrated about it. I've accepted it. We will buy him out if we have to. Sucks, but there it is.

I'm more worried about the other little aspects of it like how do we acquire a goalie to expose in the ED and what will that cost and the theoretical possibility of having to see playoff Maf again in the event MM gets injured.

What buoys me through any and all frustrations with the Pens is that recent cup win. It buys a lot of good will from me. It took me until about that Flyers series to get mad about the direction the Pens were heading after the Disco cup win. But for the two years before that at least they mostly got a free pass from me. I know others are less forgiving though.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This is true however including a dman like Maatta instantly changes the landscape of the trade. Maatta is a major piece. Bigger than people realize to be honest.

Indeed.

It's funny, outside of Pittsburgh, Maatta's stock is quite high. Everyone speaks glowingly of him on radio hits that I listen to.

And for some odd reason, Duchene's stock is much lower than it should be. I hear a lot of "He can't be THE guy, just one of the guys" and "He's a better winger than center." Basically, while not putting him down, they treat him like more of a second line player than a bona fide top line contributor.

When the Hab rumors came up, it was one of those instances where they were very against having to part ways with their best prospect in Sergachev to get him, saying Duchene is a nice player, but nothing great.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd be a lot more worried about trading him if Murray hadn't turned out to be so good.

So would I... but Murray has been everything and more that we hoped he would be. Which means Jarry is a nice piece... but one that we (or at least me) could easily move with little afterthought assuming it's not for a rental.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
:laugh: glad they're still thinking about us. Let them keep thinking were their main enemy come playoff time and have them run into a hit Bruins/isles/bolts team that they overlook in the first round. At the very least they will get a hell of a fight, and at worst, well, you know...

I think more highly of Trotz to believe he'd let this happen, but could anyone else envision a scenario where say we lose to CBJ in the first round, the Caps take a collective sigh of relief over not having to go through their boogeyman, leading to them being upset by the CBJ because they lost focus?

Would be humorous to say the least.

PensArmy

Feb 11, 2017
Indeed.

It's funny, outside of Pittsburgh, Maatta's stock is quite high. Everyone speaks glowingly of him on radio hits that I listen to.

And for some odd reason, Duchene's stock is much lower than it should be. I hear a lot of "He can't be THE guy, just one of the guys" and "He's a better winger than center." Basically, while not putting him down, they treat him like more of a second line player than a bona fide top line contributor.

When the Hab rumors came up, it was one of those instances where they were very against having to part ways with their best prospect in Sergachev to get him, saying Duchene is a nice player, but nothing great.

I would agree about maattas value outside of Pittsburgh, I'm near Toronto and there is still! Alot of love for Maatta out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad