Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster-Building Part XIX | Yakety Yak (Contract + Cap Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The Oilers seem committed to Talbot, so that won't happen. The Senators are cheap ********, or at least their owner is. They would want to surrender salary in any deal. The Jets make sense, but they would have to be convinced Fleury is the answer for the next few seasons because it could lead to them giving up on Connor Hellebuyck. The Jets make the most sense among this trio of teams.

OK, hang on a second here. The only season Kopitar produced better PPG numbers than Malkin was 2010-11, IIRC. Yes he is the better two-way center, but that wouldn't be enough to get Dustin Brown going. I'm not saying Brown would produce better numbers with Geno, and I am CERTAINLY NOT suggesting we should go after Brown, but Malkin's a more natural playmaker than Kopitar. So, Brown's chances of producing better numbers with Geno increase, imo.

Why are people still banging on Sestito? He has played 5 minutes/game when dressed. He has not been a minus player in any of them. He took one penalty in the last game, otherwise he was clean with one fighting major. He has done his job.

It's much better to have him on the roster as the extra forward than a kid who needs to play big minutes like Guentzel.

Crosby is back tonight. Before we throw Sestito away, let's see if teams start targeting 87. We may need Sestito when we start playing meaningful divisional games.

because each time we sent the fourth line out it was just 2 players.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Brown is going to Las Vegas. He's got a lengthy contract, he's a decent vet with experience, and he's got a cap hit that will help them get to the floor. Plus, he's been a captain so he may be considered a captain in LV.

I think LV will just hope and pray that he regains his form. And with a switch like that, maybe it will. But absolutely NO to him coming here unless we also get Pearson and get to send back people we don't like...like Kunitz, MAF, and Porter. Wait, even then no. Just no to Brown on all levels.

MAF+Maatta for Pavs+Trouba does indeed make a lot of sense for us...not so sure about Winnapeg with them needing to protect Hally. But if you can get MAF to agree to waive his NMC totally, then...perhaps.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Brown is going to Las Vegas. He's got a lengthy contract, he's a decent vet with experience, and he's got a cap hit that will help them get to the floor. Plus, he's been a captain so he may be considered a captain in LV.

I think LV will just hope and pray that he regains his form. And with a switch like that, maybe it will. But absolutely NO to him coming here unless we also get Pearson and get to send back people we don't like...like Kunitz, MAF, and Porter. Wait, even then no. Just no to Brown on all levels.

MAF+Maatta for Pavs+Trouba does indeed make a lot of sense for us...not so sure about Winnapeg with them needing to protect Hally. But if you can get MAF to agree to waive his NMC totally, then...perhaps.

There's 0% chance he goes to vegas, at least in the expansion draft. Why would they take him when the kings would eat half his salary in a trade?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
There's 0% chance he goes to vegas, at least in the expansion draft. Why would they take him when the kings would eat half his salary in a trade?

Pretty much this. I don't see any supposed "cap dump" going to Vegas in the draft. They will easily get to the cap floor with the good talent that will be available in the draft. I could see a few teams doing a Hawks/Canes type salary trade after the fact though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. Less than zero chance MAF (a) waves his NTC to go to Winnipeg and (b) in the process totally voids his NTC so Winnipeg can then expose him to Vegas.

2. As I wrote in tonight's PGT, JR really could help the team by killing two birds (more iron efficiency in the top six, wake up call for the team that little is sacred) with one stone (trading Kunitz).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
1. Less than zero chance MAF (a) waves his NTC to go to Winnipeg and (b) in the process totally voids his NTC so Winnipeg can then expose him to Vegas.

2. As I wrote in tonight's PGT, JR really could help the team by killing two birds (more iron efficiency in the top six, wake up call for the team that little is sacred) with one stone (trading Kunitz).

We have no idea who is on his no trade list. Winnipeg is an up and coming team with a lot of good young talent. Adding a vet #1 goalie would put them in a good spot.

Kinda like how everyone says "he'd never waive for Edmonton". Why the F not? Edmonton is looking very close to contention.

As for Kunitz, if they are not willing to trade MAF, I doubt Kunitz is on the list either no matter how much both should be. With that, who are we getting back that is better than Kunitz?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why are people still banging on Sestito? He has played 5 minutes/game when dressed.

You answered your own question. This team can't afford to carry guys who are only playing 5 minutes a game.

Am I the only one who thinks that Calgary might still end up a destination for Flower at the end of the season?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
You answered your own question. This team can't afford to carry guys who are only playing 5 minutes a game.

Am I the only one who thinks that Calgary might still end up a destination for Flower at the end of the season?

It's early, but after a rough start, Elliot has had back to back good games.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I'm under the mindset that if he goes anywhere, it will be as a free agent after a buy out. And that's just plain ol piss poor asset management...but hey, it's the Penguins.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Sort of like Kunitz but with more skill and harder hits? Isn't that what they tend to think fits best on a Sid line? While I'm totally down for continuing to just get faster and more skilled, something about our recent luck in getting players to turn things around in a new scenario makes me really think about getting a guy like that.

I agree. We have the capability to improve the defense though - why wouldn't we? Maatta + Fleury = nearly 10 million in cap space. That's enough cash for any defender in the league. We're looking at a draft pick or two for Fleury - which gurantees the 6M off the books, Maatta could then just be part of the trade bringing back a much better defender who can skate at an NHL level.

No team is going to trade draft picks for Fleury without some kind of salary retention

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm under the mindset that if he goes anywhere, it will be as a free agent after a buy out. And that's just plain ol piss poor asset management...but hey, it's the Penguins.

Not that I put any credence into TIOPS click bait, but the way MM's new contract dovetails with the cap hit for buying Fleury out makes me think that it may come to that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not that I put any credence into TIOPS click bait, but the way MM's new contract dovetails with the cap hit for buying Fleury out makes me think that it may come to that.

The salary may dovetail but the cap hit doesn't. Unless you are suggesting that MAF buyout + MM cap hit = MAF current cap hit + MM cap hit. This under the assumption they pull in a low cap hit backup.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The salary may dovetail but the cap hit doesn't. Unless you are suggesting that MAF buyout + MM cap hit = MAF current cap hit + MM cap hit. This under the assumption they pull in a low cap hit backup.

Jarry.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Caught this on my timeline just now:

I see Sheary is on IR so thats how Sestito + Condon can stay up.
Once he comes off, Sestito likely goes to WB.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Caught this on my timeline just now:

I see Sheary is on IR so thats how Sestito + Condon can stay up.
Once he comes off, Sestito likely goes to WB.

I read that as "LA has to be goddamned desperate right now. Maybe I can get a pick for free for this guy." If they're still desperate when the trade moratorium for him expires, anyway.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
I see Freddy Andersen crumbling in Toronto. Being the man in the most hockey mad city in the world isn't like being a part-time starter in relaxed Southern Cali. Especially with a young and pretty mediocre defense in front of him. Fleury+ for JVR would be real nice albeit unrealistic. I doubt they wanna pay two goaltenders over $10 million for the several years. Still a man can dream...

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I see Freddy Andersen crumbling in Toronto. Being the man in the most hockey mad city in the world isn't like being a part-time starter in relaxed Southern Cali. Especially with a young and pretty mediocre defense in front of him. Fleury+ for JVR would be real nice albeit unrealistic. I doubt they wanna pay two goaltenders over $10 million for the several years. Still a man can dream...

They just gave him a $25 million contract like two months ago. Hes their starter going forward.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They just gave him a $25 million contract like two months ago. Hes their starter going forward.

He wasn't able to beat out Gibson in Anaheim and I honestly don't think he is going to succeed in Toronto. Too much pressure and he doesn't seem to have the poise. But that's my opinion, time will tell

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
He wasn't able to beat out Gibson in Anaheim and I honestly don't think he is going to succeed in Toronto. Too much pressure and he doesn't seem to have the poise. But that's my opinion, time will tell

Wasn't he like 20-1 for a stretch last year? I'd say they're both good goalies. I don't really put much stock into goalies playing behind terrible defensive teams. That's not even a real roster out there. Just a mish mash of players until they can clear contracts and mature.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY

Wait what? He was the starter and did beat out Gibson. The ducks moved him for the same reason we will be moving MAF. You cant carry two #1 goalies. Even more so now with expansion looming. They werent going to lose a 23 year old Gibson who will end up being a top 10 goalie most likely.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014

I don't know about that. He outplayed Gibson fairly consistently. He was their starter in the playoffs last year. The only big difference is Anderson is 27 and Gibson is 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad