Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster-Building Part XIX | Yakety Yak (Contract + Cap Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I see Wilson burying a few parking himself inside the circles with Sid and PH working down low.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With Letang out and Maatta playing like he is, acquiring another top four defender should be something JR is entertaining. Even when Letang returns, having that fourth guy would be nice. I'd feel more comfortable if Cole/Schultz were the bottom pair, rather than either guy being a top four guy.

I also think they missed a chance to add another top six winger in the off-season. Relying on two of Rust/Wilson/Sheary, plus an aging Kunitz, to fill out your top six seemed a bit of a gamble. Alas, it would have required dumping Fleury's salary, and we know how the club feels about that.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
With Letang out and Maatta playing like he is, acquiring another top four defender should be something JR is entertaining. Even when Letang returns, having that fourth guy would be nice. I'd feel more comfortable if Cole/Schultz were the bottom pair, rather than either guy being a top four guy.

I also think they missed a chance to add another top six winger in the off-season. Relying on two of Rust/Wilson/Sheary, plus an aging Kunitz, to fill out your top six seemed a bit of a gamble. Alas, it would have required dumping Fleury's salary, and we know how the club feels about that.

We would need to likely give up a D in that case. If we didn't in a trade then wouldn't we have 8D on the Penguins?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
i would seriously hope no one on the team that just won a cup looks like they can't contribute something 6 games into the year. i don't understand how that can be cause for excitement after everything we've seen from the guy to this point. let me know if you think he's a net positive in 2017

At no point in time last regular season did Chris Kunitz look like a contributor. Granted, he doesn't look like a top 6 option right now, but he does look like an energy 3rd line who could provide some secondary scoring. He's not at least negatively impacting a game currently.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I just don't see it. Buying out MAF means that management/ownership see's MM being so much better than MAF that he's worth 18.85m over the next 4 years of MAF's buyout (plus whatever MM makes that 4th year). And that (we can argue about who's better and by how much on here all we want), I do not think management (Rutherford) see's in the same light we do.

I'm going to put a video game rating here just to illustrate how I think management see's this. If Murray is rated higher than MAF (which one would have to believe if PIT was even thinking of buying out MAF), it would be something like MM=90 and MAF=85.

Is that really enough of a difference to A) spend 7.6m to make him go away, B) saddle the team with a 1.9m penalty for 4 years and C) worth the PR of buying out MAF? Then you weigh that against what you'd get if you traded Murray. A) some shiny assets (picks/prospects/NHL ready players), B) 2 more years of the guy everyone knows and is comfortable with, C) time for Jarry/Gustavsson to develop to be ready to take that next step.

I just don't see this team buying out MAF. If we can't trade him and he won't waive his NMC, and LV won't play ball with protecting MM, I see us moving Murray before the draft.

Gonna be fun reading all the articles written about how the Penguins destroyed the waning Crosby years by keeping an aging mental midget of a goalie with a long history of disastrous playoff performances when they had a cheaper young stud that just won them the cup. Keeping MAF in way equals failure to try for one more cup for Crosby. He'll kill us with his atrocious play or be a cap anchor as a $5.7M backup. MAF is the dagger that killed the Pens if he is allowed to stay.

Didn't they learn anything from last year? Hockey, it's a young man's game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We would need to likely give up a D in that case. If we didn't in a trade then wouldn't we have 8D on the Penguins?

We could just return Pouliot to the minors. He can still be sent down, no?

Bigger issue is cap space to get anyone impactful.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well, Sullivan makes the ultimate decision whether Fleury will be relegated to backup status. I believe the writing for Fleury is on the wall. Sooner or later, Matt Murray will be playing 3 out of every 4 games later this season.

I doubt it. I'd be surprised if MM plays more than 2 or 4 games at any given point in time (assuming MAF is healthy).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I doubt it. I'd be surprised if MM plays more than 2 or 4 games at any given point in time (assuming MAF is healthy).

Only way it's more than that is if he's completely outplaying Fleury, and even then I'm not sure it will be a universally applauded decision, even within the organization.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm looking forwards to Wilson getting a go with Sid and Horny. Not sure it works, but can see it going and will be cool if it does.

Gonna be fun reading all the articles written about how the Penguins destroyed the waning Crosby years by keeping an aging mental midget of a goalie with a long history of disastrous playoff performances when they had a cheaper young stud that just won them the cup. Keeping MAF in way equals failure to try for one more cup for Crosby. He'll kill us with his atrocious play or be a cap anchor as a $5.7M backup. MAF is the dagger that killed the Pens if he is allowed to stay.

Unless your name is Matt Cullen.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I don't disagree... I just don't have faith that that's what the org will do.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Maatta is a massive issue right now. Well, that and Pooh taking for ever to step up plus being out too.
Even if you keep Olli demoted(with Tanger back) the middle pairing is just not good enough. Daley+Cole or Schultz.
I'd certainly have my feelers out to WPG and Trouba's camp. Not saying WPG would make the swap but ya gotta try it.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

While I approve of the sentiment, I don't get people still thinking were going to get more great top 6 wingers. As long as kessel is on his own line, Crosby and Malkin are not going to be centering two legit top 6 wingers each. That's unfeasible in a cap league they're going to have to rely on middle 6 wingers or a young contact playing above their heads.

Moving Kunitz and Fleury would either not get a top 6 guy, or buying them out would not leave enough for the winger(s) we want

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't disagree... I just don't have faith that that's what the org will do.

I don't think these guys understand that this is for making a serious attempt at returning to get a cup.

Haste is thinking Murray can or will take them through an entire season and a long cup run unscathed.

Hint, he was already injured. Imagine he goes down at any given point for weeks/months?

Who then is their goalie?

Some second hand crap shoot without Fleury.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I don't think these guys understand that this is for making a serious attempt at returning to get a cup.

Haste is thinking Murray can or will take them through an entire season and a long cup run unscathed.

Hint, he was already injured. Imagine he goes down at any given point for weeks/months?

Who then is their goalie?

Some second hand crap shoot without Fleury.

Fleury isn't winning us games NOW that we're looking like an average team with banged up injuries. He's an average goalie who can logically be replaced by ANY other average goalie in this league. On the surface keeping MAF and MM makes for good goaltending depth - but if you look beyond that, you can see just how badly MAF's playstyle clashes with the Pens. Then you look at his 6M in cap space that we could idk..use towards more D? Then you look at a young MM who just won the cup - who is being **** on by the papers and idiotic fans who ooze over MAF night in and night out with his average (and right now below average) stats.

Anger towards Fleury still being here after another week aside - what can we do, who can we move to acquire another D Man? Lindholm and Trouba are often brought up, but Shattenkirk is still out there.. Any one of those 3 would help shore up our lackluster defense. The defense held last year because Letang managed an entire playoffs playing half the game. You remove him from the lineup and it's clear as day how bad we look. Moving Maatta or Fleury would just be a dream, but can we do something without that happening? (Seeing as this org probably won't make either of those moves)

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
When Letang is healthy and back at it, eating minutes like he always does, I expect this whining about our defense to stop (barring any other injuries). Even more so when Murray comes back.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
When Letang is healthy and back at it, eating minutes like he always does, I expect this whining about our defense to stop (barring any other injuries). Even more so when Murray comes back.

That's the point... You don't think it's at-all an issue that our defense corps is one player? Yes, when Letang is healthy and when this org plays Murray (rightfully) - we have a lot less to worry about. Neither is the case, therefore we have stuff to worry about.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

That will certainly help.

Cole-Schultz is playing very well for us now. Dumo-Letang is obviously the #1 pairing, but with how Maatta-Daley have played, I would argue you give them bottom pairing minutes and give more time to Cole-Schultz.

Around December is when they said they would like to make any changes. If Trouba or Lindholm are still available at that point, I would honestly try to hammer out a trade for one of them. Lindholm would require a bit more of an investment but given our prospects and needs, I say go for it. I'd do Maatta+1st+prospect for Lindholm (hope Anaheim would too, lol). Lindholm is what you hope that 1st turns into. Except we get it now, and possibly long term. Means bye to Maatta and bye to Daley after this season. But hopefully by then Pouliot is ready to go and a few prospects can step up to be the #7s - Warso and Berenstein Bear. Same thing if you go after Trouba but I honestly think Maatta and a small add if any (MAYBE a 3rd or prospect) gets it done.

Dumo-Letang
Lindholm-Pouliot
Cole-Schultz

or

Dumo-Letang
Pouliot-Trouba
Cole-Schultz

Damn, not terrible at all. If you do Lindholm though, it means we have to rely on a couple more young kids coming up to keep the caphits lower. But that's where Sprong can come in handy.

I think you can get Trouba at the $5mil mark and I think you can get Lindhom at the $6mil mark.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Has anyone else given Dustin Brown serious thought? I know his contract is rough when you look at it from the perspective of the last year - but he IS a legitimate winger who can hit. Sort of filling 2 major holes in the Pens right now. He's got Cup experience, captain experience, and is basically trade baited in every Kings discussion.

Then you consider the Kings need some goaltending help... If both players waived their NTC's -wouldn't it be the gaining organizations choice if a new NTC was held? This would allow LA to expose Fleury...

Crosby My Captain 87

Jan 5, 2016
Has anyone else given Dustin Brown serious thought? I know his contract is rough when you look at it from the perspective of the last year - but he IS a legitimate winger who can hit. Sort of filling 2 major holes in the Pens right now. He's got Cup experience, captain experience, and is basically trade baited in every Kings discussion.

Then you consider the Kings need some goaltending help... If both players waived their NTC's -wouldn't it be the gaining organizations choice if a new NTC was held? This would allow LA to expose Fleury...

No chance. He's making .125 more per year than Fleury per year, which isn't that bad, but he's on that contract up through 2021/2022, which is not ideal whatsoever, especially if that contract looks bad already. Plus, he doesn't fit what the Penguins are trying to do with the speed and skill game, as he is more of a grinder/tough guy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's the point... You don't think it's at-all an issue that our defense corps is one player? Yes, when Letang is healthy and when this org plays Murray (rightfully) - we have a lot less to worry about. Neither is the case, therefore we have stuff to worry about.

Most bluelines struggle without their #1 defenseman. Particularly teams with so much of their cap space invested in forwards.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think they need to separate Maatta-Daley. I don't think that works very well. Cole-Daley and Maatta-Schultz would be the way I'd do it for now. When Letang returns. When Pouliot returns, we'll see what happens.

I still think Trouba-Pavelec for Maatta-Fleury makes too much sense for both teams.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Most bluelines struggle without their #1 defenseman. Particularly teams with so much of their cap space invested in forwards.

Eh. It's been less of a drop off in years past. Letang missed half of the season in 2012, Geno had no problem ripping the league to shreds without Sid.

Dumoulin's good, but he's not at the level where he can carry a pairing. Daley fits the style we play, but he can't fill Letang's role for any length of time. And Maatta just flat out sucks right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

brown is not a legitimate winger. "cup experience"(everyone on the pens has a ring basically, why would we even need "cup experience"), "leadership" is not a real thing, alls i see is his 28 points playing 82 games the last 3 years, mostly in the top 6. every winger on the pens is better than brown, not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad