Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part III | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's more a matter of thinking that there is increasingly a chance that he and Walsh ask for a trade. I dunno how good a chance... but it does make some sense. For both parties.

I don't feel like Fleury is the kind of guy to ask for a trade just because the Pens were playing the hot hand, idk.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I will be shocked if Fleury isn't in net for the Pens first game next season.

I'd probably be a little surprised if he isn't.

But the writing seems increasingly on the wall for him, don't you think? Fleury is absolutely still a starter. There is an expansion draft looming making things all the more uncertain. I don't know how much I could blame Fleury in simply wanting to rip the bandage off quickly and move on now.

I'm not saying anything seems inevitable one way or the other. Only that if all of this is occurring to us... it's certainly occurring to him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
just out of curiosity, do some of you actually think there's a chance that we trade Fleury this summer?

Probably not, but there are a few factors. The expansion draft and when it is could force their hand. What some teams might offer for him after goaltending screwed them over. How deep Murray takes them, if they get to the finals with MM I think **** gets real, never mind a cup. If Dallas (or whoever) offers something crazy, Murray gets them to the finals and the expansion draft is definitely happening next off season, I could see a trade and I could see MAF not wanting to stay once the writing is on the wall.

I also doubt Murray will quietly hang around as the backup until Fleury's contract is done, if they manage to keep both. There's a countdown on this no matter what, we're just seeing an accelerated version because of the circumstances.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
just out of curiosity, do some of you actually think there's a chance that we trade Fleury this summer?

IF Murray backstops us to a cup (or at least a cup final) AND expansion is announced for June 2017? Then maybe a 30-50% chance. If either of those do not happen? Then whatever the chance might have been, it would get very small very quickly.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
IF Murray backstops us to a cup (or at least a cup final) AND expansion is announced for June 2017? Then maybe a 30-50% chance. If either of those do not happen? Then whatever the chance might have been, it would get very small very quickly.

If Murray backstops us to a cup, do you see them each playing 41 games next year? Or do we just give Murray 25 starts and let him split the season in the AHL? Or Fleury as a 5.75M backup getting about 30 starts?

It sounds great IN THEORY to say 'well, we'll just keep both of them'. As a practical matter, I'm not sure how you make that work.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Murray takes this team to a Cup, I don't see how you don't start him game 1 next season. I also think Sullivan believes Murray is the better goalie. If that's the case, Fleury has to think about it.

I think it's possible he'd rather win here in a 1a/1b setup than start on another team.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd probably be a little surprised if he isn't.

But the writing seems increasingly on the wall for him, don't you think? Fleury is absolutely still a starter. There is an expansion draft looming making things all the more uncertain. I don't know how much I could blame Fleury in simply wanting to rip the bandage off quickly and move on now.

I'm not saying anything seems inevitable one way or the other. Only that if all of this is occurring to us... it's certainly occurring to him.

The flip side of that is we're losing no one off this roster other than some depth on the blueline (and hopefully Kunitz). I could easily see him wanting a chance to "be that guy" as the Pens try and repeat.

If Murray backstops us to a cup, do you see them each playing 41 games next year? Or do we just give Murray 25 starts and let him split the season in the AHL? Or Fleury as a 5.75M backup getting about 30 starts?

It sounds great IN THEORY to say 'well, we'll just keep both of them'. As a practical matter, I'm not sure how you make that work.

No clue. Even with how well he's played, Murray still has things he needs to improve on. And there's no guarantee that he can handle a starters role (although I'd be surprised if he couldn't). So it wouldn't surprise me if we win this year and next year MM only played 30-40 games.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

What I would do doesn't matter. This organization will keep Fleury next year. The best Murray gets next year is split time with Fleury barring injuries.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The flip side of that is we're losing no one off this roster other than some depth on the blueline (and hopefully Kunitz). I could easily see him wanting a chance to "be that guy" as the Pens try and repeat.

No clue. Even with how well he's played, Murray still has things he needs to improve on. And there's no guarantee that he can handle a starters role (although I'd be surprised if he couldn't). So it wouldn't surprise me if we win this year and next year MM only played 30-40 games.

That means Fleury, a guy who traditionally plays 60 games, at best is looking at 42-52 starts. Unless Murray falters, which is less likely than Murray killing it and making Fleury the 30-40 game guy.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if this is how Fleury looks at it this summer.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I probably know what the answer is (knowing this is a poorly led league) but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is there a drop dead date for announcing expansion for the 2017-18 season? Seems like there should be. It would only seem fair to the existing NHL teams. Expansion should be left over their heads indefinitely.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I probably know what the answer is (knowing this is a poorly led league) but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is there a drop dead date for announcing expansion for the 2017-18 season? Seems like there should be. It would only seem fair to the existing NHL teams. Expansion should be left over their heads indefinitely.

Nothing is set.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I agree. I know you don't care for Wilson, but there are a lot of potential inhouse options to try:

Wilson, Shear, Simon, Sprong, Guentzel, Sundqvist, Rust. Those are all guys that could fill a top 6 spot in the future in some capacity or role. Obviously not all of them will pan out, but that's a better list than we've had in a while.

In truth, I haven't seen Wilson play all that much. It would be great if there were something there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't know who it was (and am too lazy to go look), but someone made the comment once when we wanted more speed - "what are you going to do - skate them to death?"

Well that's exactly what we did that period. Tampa - a team that is far from slow looks gassed. And it's not just because of several long shifts in their end - they looked gassed before that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

They've said that they will announce it prior to the 2016 Entry Draft. Which only makes sense due to the few times a year trades really go down, and the impact this would have on teams.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

With few exceptions, JR has been good at trying to trade the players he should try to trade. With what Murray is doing, his cap-hit, expansion coming up etc. - what JR should be doing this off-season is find a good deal for Fleury.

So yes, I think there is a chance. And I also think it SHOULD happen if there is any reasonable returns out there. At best Fleury is even with Murray right now. You go with the younger, much cheaper tender who has been doing almost nothing but winning and looking good doing so.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Outside-the-box idea time.

It could be worth pursuing Vanek at half retained (3.25 mil) if he were available for a song. I know our team's predicated on speed now and Vanek's not a fast skater, but he's a smart, creative scoring LW who seems like he would gel with Geno, and he's only under contract for one more year.

Might be a way to get Geno his Neal back, without the penalties.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Outside-the-box idea time.

It could be worth pursuing Vanek at half retained (3.25 mil) if he were available for a song. I know our team's predicated on speed now and Vanek's not a fast skater, but he's a smart, creative scoring LW who seems like he would gel with Geno, and he's only under contract for one more year.

Might be a way to get Geno his Neal back, without the penalties.

I think this year's team has been a good example of why we should only acquire players that fit the mold. Perron is a better offensive player than Hagelin, but it didn't work because he's a plodder. We should do what has worked and continue to go after fast players.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Vanek's not very good anymore. Questionable effort. And obviously doesn't fit our style.

I think we should be going after a player who replaces what Kunitz used to be able to do for us. Similar to a Malone or Kulemin type of player. Smart enough to get the puck to his center and do the little things to let Malkin play his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad