Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster and salary cap discussion

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeh, when we all first started discussing Boedker like ~2 years ago he had played more LW in the immediate past... but in the last 18 months he has played mainly RW. (and says he prefers RW.)

Pretty sure he played all/most of 2011-13 at LW as he came into the league... then 2013-14 was split... and since then he has played 90% on the right.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I would think Boedker would cost way too much regardless. Honestly, I'm still hoping we luck out and get Dubois, who is built enough that could play almost immediately. But that's just a fantasy.

If the Flyers could get either of them for cheap, Martin or Chimera would be nice to fill out the bottom 6. I know Chimera is like 10 years older than Martin, but I do like Chimera's game. Also, with the possibility of the cap going down next season, do you want to grab another big contract this summer?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
He's more of a contender piece anyways. Give him a big contract, get a few years of good production and accept the fact that he might drop off a cliff on the back half.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Now that Konecny can/is playing LW.....

My predicted lineup for 2017-2018 (Assuming Lindblom comes over, wont do picks cause we dont know who it'll be)

Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds
Konecny-Couturier-Schenn
NAK-Laughton-Lindblom
Leier-Cousins-FA

Provorov-Ghost
Morin-Gudas
MDZ-Sanheim

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I could see Cousins progressing into the 3rd line center we wanted, or even a good winger.
He's got good skills. It is clear hextall wants a LW. What if we move Laughton + something for a LW.
Niederreiter is having what some consider a dissapointing season and could be available for trade. He has done nothing so far in his career to prove he's better than a 3rd liner. He has potential though to be a top 6 forward. Laughton was also a first round pick, but i don't see much room for him as he is a center. I think Cousins is better than him. Although i could see Laughton becoming a good player, given more opportunity.
He's only 2.6M for next year. Then a RFA.

Laughton + 3rd for Niederreiter

2016/17
Voracek--Giroux--Simmonds
Konecny--Couturier--Schenn
Raffl--Cousins--Niederreiter
Leier--White--Bellemare

2017/18

Jones--Cousins--Aube Kubel
Leier--Brown--Niederriter

Upgrading the LW position, plus solidifying are bottom 6 without spending $. Draft Logan Brown or Max Jones.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I could see Cousins progressing into the 3rd line center we wanted, or even a good winger.
He's got good skills. It is clear hextall wants a LW. What if we move Laughton + something for a LW.
Niederreiter is having what some consider a dissapointing season and could be available for trade. He has done nothing so far in his career to prove he's better than a 3rd liner. He has potential though to be a top 6 forward. Laughton was also a first round pick, but i don't see much room for him as he is a center. I think Cousins is better than him. Although i could see Laughton becoming a good player, given more opportunity.
He's only 2.6M for next year. Then a RFA.

Laughton + 3rd for Niederreiter

2016/17
Raffl--Cousins--Niederreiter
Leier--White--Bellemare

2017/18

Jones--Cousins--Aube Kubel
Leier--Brown--Niederriter

Upgrading the LW position, plus solidifying are bottom 6 without spending $. Draft Logan Brown or Max Jones.

Have you watched the last 2 games? Obviously it's only 2 games but he's (Laughton) played LW and has played very well. I'd like to see him there for the rest of the season to see if it could be a long term thing

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Really excited about how good Laughton has looked on LW these past 2 games.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Imo we still have a need going into next year at 2nd line LW. I believe it can be filled internally, but the team needs to address the 3rd line first and foremost. Laughton looked good at LW last two games, but they need to find out if that's a result of fear for his job or if it's just him having confidence. As for Cousins, he looks good at center. I would love to see those two play a good stretch of games together when the team is healthy to see what we have with them together. If that experiment works well with someone like Read or Raffl then we should nearly be set for next year forward wise.

Another option would be trying Laughton or Cousins as 2nd LW, but Raffl really fits those two well and hopefully Konency gets slotted in there next year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If we look at the potential young wingers in the organisation who are either in the team already or could be in next ~2 years with a guaranteed or possible NHL future:

Schenn: RW/LW/C
Laughton: C/LW
Cousins: C/LW (though he has hardly ever played wing at any level, even last year in NHL others were shifted to wing for him.)
Leier: LW
Konecny: RW/LW
Lindblom: LW/RW
Aube-Kubel: LW/RW
Fazleev: C/LW
Martel: LW
Goulbourne: LW

(this is assuming Weal & Straka are not realistically going to be more than tweeners.)

Hopefully add to that in the 2016 draft as well.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Imo we still have a need going into next year at 2nd line LW.
Or first line LW. Playing Jake on that side fills a need but it isn't his best position. When he comes down the ice on the right side, he's a an entirely different player. That has been obvious in the games against the Devils and Leafs. Twice he has had that opportunity when it counted and it resulted in goals either for himself of Ghost. RW is his best position.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Or first line LW. Playing Jake on that side fills a need but it isn't his best position. When he comes down the ice on the right side, he's a an entirely different player. That has been obvious in the games against the Devils and Leafs. Twice he has had that opportunity when it counted and it resulted in goals either for himself of Ghost. RW is his best position.

Agreed. Having Jake on LW right now is more out of necessity than anything. Nobody else is a capable 1st line LW, and as you pointed out he plays much better on the right side

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
We understand the full value, it was about clearing out cap space from the mess Homer left behind, Hartnell, Vinnie, L Schenn, and now MacDonald and Streit. All players who couldn't have made this a playoff team the last two years, and who won't be around in two years. Hartnell would have added some scoring at the cost of some defense. He hasn't made a significant difference in Columbus and wouldn't have made one here. Umberger is simply the cost of dumping salary in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

With the cap flat, the Hartnell deal makes even more sense, imagine if they had kept Hartnell, couldn't dump Vinnie, etc. Too ugly to think about. Going into this summer, Hextall finally has the fiscal flexibility to buyout players, eat salary in deals, or sign a bargain free agent.

Hextall has been a great GM for us so far. That being said, it's OK to criticize an individual move or two, and the Hartnell deal was by far the worst move he's made yet as our GM. And if you can't see / admit that, then you need to take a step back.

There's a thread on the mainboard now discussing Trading Hartnell (now 2 years older) back to the Preds for 1st + Nystrom. And preds fans seem to be OK with it. Some CBJ fans don't think it is enough.

For comparison, we received a 4th and an untradeable cap anchor.

I get the point of the deal, i absolutely do, and i have no problem with that, but we needed to and should've done better than the return we got.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If we don't trade hartnell, maybe we don't end up with Provorov. That alone makes me happy with the trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall is making this easy

22 man roster, $70.7m cap hit. Buying out Umberger would open up a roster spot $3m in extra cap space. The three predicted cap hits are in bold.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 8.25
Streit ~ 5.25
MacDonald ~ 5
Umberger ~ 4.6
Couturier ~ 4.333
Mason ~ 4.1
BSchenn ~ 4.2
Simmonds ~ 3.975
MDZ ~ 3.875
Read ~ 3.625
Gudas ~ 2.5
Raffl ~ 2.35
Schultz ~ 2.25
Neuvirth ~ 1.625
Konecny ~ 0.925
Provorov ~ 0.925
Gostisbehere ~ 0.925
Laughton ~ 0.863
Cousins ~ 0.8
Bellemare ~ 0.7125
VandeVelde ~ 0.7125

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Ivan Provorov was recalled from the AHL (or their respective pro-minor league).
Travis Konecny was recalled from the AHL (or their respective pro-minor league).
Radko Gudas was signed as an RFA for 2 years at $2,000,000.
Brayden Schenn was signed as an RFA for 3 years at $4,400,000.
Ryan White was signed as a UFA for 1 year at $900,000.
Taylor Leier was recalled from the AHL (or their respective pro-minor league).
Chris VandeVelde was sent down to the AHL (or their respective pro-minor league).
Nick Cousins was signed as an RFA for 2 years at $1,000,000.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
B. Schenn ($4,400,000) - C. Giroux ($8,275,000) - W. Simmonds ($3,975,000)
M. Raffl ($2,350,000) - S. Couturier ($4,333,333) - J. Voracek ($8,250,000)
N. Cousins ($1,000,000) - T. Konecny ($925,000) - M. Read ($3,625,000)
T. Leier ($779,617) - P. Bellemare ($712,500) - S. Laughton ($863,333)
R. White ($900,000)

DEFENSE (7)
M. Del Zotto ($3,875,000) - S. Gostisbehere ($925,000)
M. Streit ($5,250,000) - I. Provorov ($925,000)
A. MacDonald ($5,000,000) - R. Gudas ($2,000,000)
N. Schultz ($2,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
S. Mason ($4,100,000) - M. Neuvirth ($1,625,000)

BUYOUTS
R. Umberger ($1,600,000) - I. Bryzgalov ($0) - D. Briere ($0)

RETAINED
V. Lecavalier ($2,250,000 (%50))

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $71,400,000
Cap Hit: $70,188,783
Cap Space: $1,211,217

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He'd screw LA more, so I think he'll retire or perhaps terminate his contract to sign somewhere else.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
https://www.nhl.com/news/bettman-salary-cap-could-rise-3-million-in-2016-17/c-791523

The NHL's salary cap for the 2016-17 season could go up approximately $3 million, Commissioner Gary Bettman said at the Board of Governors meeting on Monday.

The salary cap for the 2015-16 season is $71.4 million. It increased $2.4 million from 2014-15 to 2015-16.

"We gave them a very, very, very rough projection on what the cap could conceivably be next season, which will be somewhere between where it is now and up $3 million, in that range," Commissioner Bettman said. "That will depend on a variety of factors."

Among the factors that could come into play are the accuracy of the preliminary reports, the value of the Canadian dollar and the possibility of the NHL Players' Association initiating its five percent escalator to further raise the cap.

Remember the cap is more than likely going up this off season.

Could have a major impact on what the Flyers decide to do and also helps signing our RFA's as well.

A 74 million dollar cap will give us wiggle room even if Streit and Umberger are still here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad