Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster and salary cap discussion

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
if Boedker makes it to free agency (which seems unlikely), I would like to see the Flyers make an offer. He would look good as 2nd line LW.

Voracek/Giroux/Simmonds
Boedker/Couturier/Schenn

is a nice top 6

What kind of contract do you guys see Boedker demanding?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
if Boedker makes it to free agency (which seems unlikely), I would like to see the Flyers make an offer. He would look good as 2nd line LW.

Voracek/Giroux/Simmonds
Boedker/Couturier/Schenn

is a nice top 6

What kind of contract do you guys see Boedker demanding?

His initial ask was for 6 million per year and it's also been reported he wants a 6 year deal around 5.5 million per year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Hartnell has 18 goals & is still producing, Umberger is a bum.

Wasn't talking about the production of those two. Was talking about Hexy moving Hartnell more in so because of his term/age/contract. We would be in the same situation with Lucic in 2 years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
why not both (if hexy clears some more cap room at the deadline)? It's very possible the flyers have 3 players on entry level contracts next season. Gotta take advantage of that!

Because Boedker plays a lot of RW. You can take advantage of it in the short term but those contracts will soon expire & you'll need the space. Gostisbehere is entering his last year on his ELC next season & at this point if he keeps trending the way he is you're likely skipping the bridge deal(s). Hell MDZ might even be an option to come back after next season if he keeps playing the way he has (top 4 defender > top 6 winger).

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
It going to be key not having a contract like Hartnell's on the books for 2017-2018 because that money goes toward Ghost's deal which will likely be 4-5 million

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Wasn't talking about the production of those two. Was talking about Hexy moving Hartnell more in so because of his term/age/contract. We would be in the same situation with Lucic in 2 years.

Ya but age plays a factor. Would you rather sign a 28 year old Lucic or have a (at that point) 31 year old Hartnell signed for 4 more years. Getting Lucic at a 4-5 year deal isn't so bad. As long as there isn't a ntc involved

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
It going to be key not having a contract like Hartnell's on the books for 2017-2018 because that money goes toward Ghost's deal which will likely be 4-5 million

Those can be mutually exlusive. Streit's deal comes off the books there too. No more schultz. We would have been a few wins better with hartnell than with umberger right now.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
I don't mind the Hartnell trade because it did allow us to get a ******** record which resulted in better prospects..

Buy really that was a horrible trade, even though the results have been great (provorov,konecky) It has been a painful two seasons...

Who knows how the cap will effect FA this year, but with our elcs & deadweight coming off the books were fine cap wise imo and could afford to make a play either this year or next year depending on what Hextall wants to do.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It would probably be more wise to just extend Schenn & forget Boedker.

I would extend Schenn for sure, then try to add a big LW. Boedker is always tantalizing but he really doesn't accomplish much.

The Flyers are a little undersized right now, and the best of the kids coming up are on the smaller side. NAK is a fire hydrant, Lindblom and Fazleev are solid too, Konecny is small. They could really use a big winger in the draft and add one if they can as a UFA - but that depends on cap space and who gets moved at the deadline.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In regards to size our forwards as they stand are decent...

but our backed is minuscule... I mean... Provorov could come in next year and be the biggest guy on our blue-line at 6'1 and ~205lbs if Morin does not make the team!

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
We could have a crap load of cap space next year, moreso if we get Streit off the books at the deadline. I'd like to see us go for Boedker, he's a perfect fit for that second line.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
His initial ask was for 6 million per year and it's also been reported he wants a 6 year deal around 5.5 million per year.

With the value of the Looney being what it is these days, it will be interesting to see just how much money these FAs get. Many teams are capped out; especially if they want to take care of their own this off season. Big contracts may be few and far between.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't mind the Hartnell trade because it did allow us to get a ******** record which resulted in better prospects..

Buy really that was a horrible trade, even though the results have been great (provorov,konecky) It has been a painful two seasons...

It's been an even more painful two seasons in Columbus as Hartnell put up a lot of points on a bottom feeder the way Gagner did in Edmonton and Arizona.

The main difference between the the 13-14 Flyers and the last two seasons is that the PK has gone from seventh best to bottom five, something losing Hartnell had nothing to do with. We clearly lost some ES scoring, but the PP has remained exactly as good as it was in 13-14.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...o=20152016&gameType=2&sort=pkPctg&aggregate=1

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We could have a crap load of cap space next year, moreso if we get Streit off the books at the deadline. I'd like to see us go for Boedker, he's a perfect fit for that second line.

I used to think that, but I'm really put off after hearing he plays a lot of RW. If we sign a LW in free agency I want them to only play LW, not RW or center. We already have five quality wingers signed for next season who prefer the right side in Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Read and Konecny.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
With the value of the Looney being what it is these days, it will be interesting to see just how much money these FAs get. Many teams are capped out; especially if they want to take care of their own this off season. Big contracts may be few and far between.

I think the bigger names will get paid day 1 and then almost everyone else left over has to settle at some point. I hope Hextall waits and picks up someone at value rather than trying to be in on a big name.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
According to Coyotes fans, Boedker is pretty much a RW, and has struggled on the left side.

Where is he fitting into the lineup?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Don't forget that there are two additional pieces in play in the Hartnell deal, Vorobyov and a 6th rounder for this year. It will likely be years before we understand the full value of the trade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We understand the full value, it was about clearing out cap space from the mess Homer left behind, Hartnell, Vinnie, L Schenn, and now MacDonald and Streit. All players who couldn't have made this a playoff team the last two years, and who won't be around in two years. Hartnell would have added some scoring at the cost of some defense. He hasn't made a significant difference in Columbus and wouldn't have made one here. Umberger is simply the cost of dumping salary in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

With the cap flat, the Hartnell deal makes even more sense, imagine if they had kept Hartnell, couldn't dump Vinnie, etc. Too ugly to think about. Going into this summer, Hextall finally has the fiscal flexibility to buyout players, eat salary in deals, or sign a bargain free agent.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Does Columbus need a LD? We could trade them MacDonald for Hartnell, not that I really want him back. But we loose one year of contract, get a LW, and we know he has chemistry in the locker room

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
According to Coyotes fans, Boedker is pretty much a RW, and has struggled on the left side.

Where is he fitting into the lineup?

This needs to be seen more times. Boedker is not a fit.

I just looked it up and he's listed as a LW, so that's kind of weird.

Schenn is still listed at a C. Hell, Giroux had 2 top 3 finished in scoring and was still listed as a winger.

I trust AZ fans when they say MB is a RW and struggles on the LW. As Curu said, we need a natural LW.

I hold out hope Hextall finds some magic and we add Drouin without touching our kids on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad